Thursday, July 30, 2009

"Purple Rain"

Hello,

Last night I went back to 1984 and watched "Purple Rain". "Purple Rain" should be subtitled "Apollonia's boobs". If not that at least they should have received an Oscar for best supporting boobs. This movie brought back a lot of good memories. It reminded me of my days working at Safeways in Salt Lake City. I also remembered the girl I took to see the movie, Debbie Smeltzer, who wore a purple dress to the movie. If I remember correctly, before last night, that was the only time I have seen this movie. This movie has a very deserving R rating. It has explicit scenes with an overabundance of the F bomb.

I remember how popular Prince was during this time although this movie hasn't aged well. The acting is stilted, the story is okay but the music is still amazing. Watching this movie is watching Prince become a superstar. Unfortunately the copy of the movie I had had terrible sound. The movie starts off without any preamble, The Revolution are introduced and launch into "Let's Go Crazy". Amazing! I know I have talked a lot about Michael Jackson lately and how amazing "Billie Jean" is. Watching "Purple Rain" reminded me last night how amazing of a song "When Doves Cry" is. Also "Purple Rain" is one of the very few CDs that are better than "Thriller".

In fact watching this movie I've decided to come up with my Top ? Soundtracks of all-time. This list is going to be very fluid as I think of other soundtracks. As of now here are my Top 5. This list has already changed several times before even writing it down. I welcome any and all suggestions for this list.

1) "Purple Rain"- Prince This list will change a lot, but I don't think there is any doubt that this is the greatest soundtrack of all-time. This is also one of the greatest CDs of all-time.
2) "Pretty In Pink"- Various Artists An extremely solid CD with many great songs and artists from what was called new wave at the time. This was my first exposure to the Smiths, it only took me another 20 years or so to realize their true greatness.
3) "Batman"- Prince Not as good as "Purple Rain" but pretty amazing in it's own right. This CD features the truly great song "Arms of Orion". I just listened to this CD and it''s still amazing. (Danny Elfman's instrumental score for "Batman" is pretty amazing as well.)
4) "Footloose"- Various Artists Some people might consider this a guilty pleasure, but I love both the movie and the amazing soundtrack. I say that with no shame or embarassment. The song "Footloose" is just an awesome song.
5) "Grease"- Various Artists This has a lot of great songs on it, but there's also a lot of filler as well. But songs such as "Grease", "Greased Lightning", "Summer Nights" and "Hopelessly Devoted To You" are all amazing songs. This might be higher on this list if there wasn't so much filler on it.

Other news: no more word on whether Paula Abdul is returning to "American Idol", I have my fingers crossed that she won't. The deadline is around August 6th, but that could be changed. Apparently Kara D. is coming back although she'll be paid significantly less than the other judges. She's so lucky to have the gig, why pay her at all? She's one of the worst things ever to happen "American Idol".

Michael Jackson died 5 weeks ago today and he still has the top selling CD on the Billboard comprehenive chart. Daughtry's "Leave This Town" debuted at #1 on the Top 200 CDs countdown. It has dropped back to the #2 best selling CD in the nation. Jackson's "Number Ones" again is the top selling CD. This is an amazing run he is on, too bad the circumstances behind it had to be so tragic.

I should be back tomorrow, themusicaddict

1 comment:

Justin M said...

Purple Rain is definitely one of the best sound tracks of all time.

Favorites