Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Yes, more Michael Jackson

Hello,

Today I'm focusing on the classic videos of Michael Jackson. I'm going to be start off a little bit strangely. As my one long-time reader knows I'm a big fan of the website mtvmusic.com. Thanks to that website, the last couple of days I've watched a lot of Jackson's classic videos. ALthough the first video I'm highlighting isn't even by Jackson.

It's the Alien Ant Farm cover of "Smooth Criminal". I'm not sure if this is a parody or a tribute to Michael Jackson. When the band stands on the blocks, they light up like in "Billie Jean". This video also does the cut away of the eyes as in that same "Billie Jean" video. There's also exploding glass and a monkey that sits on the lead singer's lap. I'm guessing that's some reference to the Neverland Ranch.
That's a pretty enjoyable video. (Also that is half of the Alien Ant Farm's good songs.)

Now on to the videos of Michael Jackson. Of course his best song and best video are for the same song, "Billie Jean". I was going to add it to my blog but "embedding is disabled by request". Then there's the 13:42 "Thriller", this is the video that usually ranks #1 whenever MTV counts down videos. (Do they even do that anymore?) There's also the 11:01 video for "Black or White" starring George Wendt and McCauley Culkin. Another long video is the 16 minute video for "Bad" featuring Wesley Snipes as a gang banger. Definitely some classic videos.

There's also the extremely sad video "Man In The Mirror". This video mixes clips of the world's unfortunate intercut with some of the greats. For instance, Martin Luther King Jr. and John F. Kennedy. Don't forget "Scream" his video and song collaboration with sister Janet. Michael was good at a lot of things but looking tough was not one of them. Janet looks tougher in this video than Michael does.

A few years Michael Jackson released "History". On one side is a greatest hits collection and on the other side was new songs. I think the greatest hits disc is a pretty good selection. However there are some huge omissions. Where is "Dirty Diana" and "Smooth Criminal" and even "They Don't Care About Us". Why is "The Girl Is Mine" and "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" on "History". Both are fine but I wouldn't rate them as Top 15 Michael Jackson songs.

If I had made up the Michael Jackson greatest hits CD, this is what my track listing would have been: 1) "Billie Jean" duh. 2) "Black or White"- I just barely realized how great of a song this is. 3) "Dirty Diana" Another soulful and intense song. 4) "Smooth Criminal" A great, great video and song. Although the "Annie are you okay?" refrain is too repetitive. 5, 6 & 7) "Beat It", "Bad" and "Thriller". What would be a Michael Jackson greatest hits collection without these three songs?
8) "Man In The Mirror" Just a solid and great song. 9 & 10) "They Don't Care About Us" and "Leave Me Alone" Two songs rightfully telling people to leave him alone. 11 & 12) "Rock With You" and "Don't Stop Until You Get Enough". Two great songs he sang as Disco went away. 13 & 14) "The Way You Make Me Feel" and "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)". Two great update, very dance worthy songs. 15 & 16) "She's Out Of My Life and "Heal The World". His two best ballads would close out this greatest hits collection very well.

Also Janet Jackson made a very emotional appearance at last weeks B.E.T.'s award show.

This is the best I could find. Have a good day, themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites