Sunday, August 2, 2009

"Battlestar Galactica" Part 2

Hello,

I've had more time to myself lately as I took a couple of days off to stay home with one of my sons. The rest of our family went camping, he was being left behind as a punishment. That meant he was stuck doing everybody's chores. Don't feel to bad for him though, he had a lot more fun than work.

Yesterday we watched the first 4 episodes of "Battlestar Galactica" Season One. Those episodes are: "33", "Water", "Bastille Day" and "Act of Contrition". I really am loving these human looking Cylons. Cylon Number 6 is an enigma though. Is she trying to help the humans or is her plan to gain their trust and then smash them? Also Cylons have no right to look that good. What is going on with her lascivious nature? Is she the seducing Cylon and the rest of the Cylons are mostly business like.



There are 12 different models of the human looking Cylons and we've seen about 4 of them. What do the other 8 models look like and have those models infiltrated the humans? I'm sure the answer is "yes" to at least some of them infiltrating the humans. Probably some of these models are being held back for later use. Some of these unknown models are probably the models that are programmed to think they are human. Of course the Cylons could make more human like models, the humans can never be 100% sure that they've eliminated all Cylons. That's a very clever storyline.

Is President Roslin a Cylon that doesn't realize it. It's very convenient that she was far away from Caprica when the Cylons attacked. She ascended to the Presidency from virtually out of nowhere. She has made decisions that have cost thousands of people their lives. Although in each case the deaths were seemingly justified. On the other side she's fighting cancer, is that something the Cylons could program? Is Gaius a Cylon, that would explain a lot. That would explain why he was a traitor. That would explain why he knew the P.R. guy was a Cylon as well as that makes him look trustworthy to the humans. Oh all the delicious possibilities. I want to put that masking tape back on my glasses now and go watch the next 4 episodes. Too bad I have to work today.

I haven't read ahead to find out what happens on this show. I'm just watching it and enjoying it as if these episodes are just being shown originally. I enjoy trying to figure out what's going to happen, like perhaps a couple of intriguing possibilities in the above paragraph. In some shows it's obvious what's going to happen. However in "Battlestar Galactica" there are so many mysteries and unknown things it would be difficult to predict what's going to happen. I like that a lot, I like being challenged by my fiction. What's the fun if everything is predictable. I like being forced to think, that makes any piece of fiction that much better. ("Battlestar Galactica" just won the Program of the Year award by the 200+ members of the Television Critics Association.)

Another clever plot device is the white board that the President is keeping of survivors, it adds a very poignant element to the show. It's nice to see a baby added to the total population. Even in this bleakest of times for the human race, hope still survives. This is a very good show and I look forward to watching all 5 seasons. I still have a ways to go. The most glaring weakness is the special effects. I realize they don't have enough money for top-of-the-line special effects, but their special effects are extremely weak.

Meanwhile my reading has been all over the place, I'm not a monogamous reader. I have read a bit of the Michael Jackson biography. I also have been reading Larry McMurtry's "Comanche Moon". This is one of the books in the "Lonesome Dove" series. Even if you don't like Westerns, you need to read "Lonesome Dove". It's a truly great book. I also have been reading Andrew Greer's "The Confessions of Max Tivoli", which so far has been a great book. I also have Anthony Kiedis' "Scar Tissue", John Irving's "Until I Find You" and Audrey Nefenegger's "The Time Traveler's Wife" on tap. In addition, I have five books on hold at the library. Plus I have a bunch of magazines that I love to read. My three favorite magazines are Esquire, Rolling Stone and Sports Illustrated. So much to read, so little time.

thenerdaddict

No comments:

Favorites