Tuesday, September 15, 2009

New Music Review, Rhapsody rules!

Hello,

Thanks to Rhapsody, I've been checking out new music today. Earlier this morning I listened to Nelly Furtado's new CD "Mi Plan". This CD was just released today and it's an all Spanish language CD. Furtado is just the latest of many people to make Spanish language CD's. She follows other such artists as Christina Aguilera and Shakira. This CD is a good mix of upbeat and slow songs. No song particularly stood out but overall it's an enjoyable CD. It would've been even better if I knew Spanish. Although I did understand what she was singing when she sang "silencio" and "tonto". I've been called a "tonto" many times in my life:)

The second CD I listened to was Jet's "Shaka Rock". The first time I listened to the CD I thought it wasn't very good, but on my second listen it's started growing on me. I particularly like the tracks "Seventeen" and "She's A Genius". This isn't the greatest CD, or even the greatest Jet CD, but I think it's worthy of your hard earned money.

The next CD on my list was the Arctic Monkey's "Humbug". What an appropriately named CD. It doesn't have any joy like their earlier work. Where's the happiness of "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor". It's just one dreary song after another dreary song. Is this suppose to be their serious CD? If so, they accomplished their goal as it's seriously boring. The single "Crying Lightning" is a mediocre, mid-tempo janky song.

I know you are dying for Michael Jackson news. The trailer of the movie of his rehearsals, "This Is It" was first shown at Sunday night's VMAs. You can watch the trailer at this website: http://www.thisisit-movie.com/. It looks okay, I'm wondering how exciting they can make this. It just shows him rehearsing with no audience to feed off. The two week run begins October 28th. If a lot of tickets are sold I'm sure they are going to extend it's run. I'm not exactly sure what their strategy is with this, but you can start to preorder tickets September 27th.

Nine Inch Nails allegedly closed out their touring career with a 3 encore, 38 song set at LA's Wiltern Theater. (I sort of agree with my brother about concerts. The band should just come out and play their set, without the encore nonsense. Just don't tell him Pearl Jam typically has two encores at their concerts.) The three hours featured many of their songs over their long career. Nine Inch Nails had a good run, but by far their best CD was their first CD "Pretty Hate Machine". For more about this concert and to see pictures go to rollingstone.com. (Thanks to rollingstone.com.)

Rhapsody I love you, but why don't you have "Pretty Hate Machine" available to listen to. They do have a live Nine Inch Nails concert available though and I'm enjoying it right now. The concert kicks into high gear when they are performing songs from "Pretty Hate Machine" and flags on most of the other songs. I saw them back in the day and I was not impressed. I was even less impressed that they brought Marilyn Manson along with them. That was when he just started out.

Condolences to the family of Patrick Swayze. Swayze died at the age of 57 yesterday after losing a battle to pancreatic cancer. (That's a vicious form of cancer that also has attacked Steve Jobs and "The Last Lectures" Randy Pausch.) I was never a big fan but Swayze seemed like a good guy. I haven't looked at pottery the same since "Ghost" and Demi Moore. (BYU aren't the only Cougars that I like.)

I renewed my Rhapsody 30 day membership today, it's free through mycokerewards. I went there to renew it and while there I saw a reward that looked very cool. It was a prize that said something about getting $20 free music from iTunes. I didn't read the details, I just went straight to getting the prize. (I had alarm bells ringing in my head that this deal is too good to be true, but I still continued forward.) Here's the catch and it's a very big catch. To get the free music you need to buy a $55 t-shirt. That coupon entitles you to a $15 discount on this $55 t-shirt. Still $40.00 for a t-shirt is a bit expensive. What's so cool about this shirt? It features one line from a classic rock song. It's obviously overpriced. They have a quote from Nicki Hilton as a celebrity endorsement. Um, okay!

On mjsbigblog.com she has a poll asking for people's opinion on whether Ellen DeGeneres is good for "American Idol". I'm surprised by the poll results. She started this poll on September 1oth and so far it's 1216 against and 1100 in favor of. I don't understand this, I think it's a genius idea. She's going to be an immediate improvement over Paula Abdul. She brings a fan's love of music, which works out perfectly. That's who watches the show. Her perspective will come in nice relief to the three corporate shills on the panel. They seem to know a lot about the music industry but a lot less about music. I'm all for Ellen DeGeneres being on this show. She signed a five year contract, so she's going to be around for awhile. If the show lasts that much longer, it will be on fumes by then. The panel will probably consist of Kathy Griffin, Paula Adbul making a comeback and some other b list star.

A shout out to my friends at condron.com.

I'll be back tomorrow with more about Pearl Jam and a review of "Mad Men". Have a great day, themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites