Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Miscellaneous

Hello,

I'm still living high off the amazing Pearl Jam concert on Monday night. What an amazing show it was. The musicianship was amazing and Eddie was in great voice that night. Eddie seemed to be in a good mood and the whole band acted like they were having a fun time. Pearl Jam resumes their tour tonight with two nights in Universal City, Ca.

At the concert the other night, I heard someone say that Pearl Jam actually might have a #1 record. I laughed at that preposterous thought. Pearl Jam isn't Miley Cyrus or some rappers, they aren't the type of band who have #1 CD's. I was very surprised when reading ew.com this morning about the top CD's of last week. Indeed "Backspacer" was the #1 record. I still find it hard to believe. Thanks to ew.com for the following:

"We’re in the full swing of fall now, with plenty of new releases hitting shelves most every week. Leading the pack on the latest Billboard 200 chart is Pearl Jam’s Backspacer — the band’s first album to hit No. 1 since 1996’s No Code. After catching flak from some fans for striking a retail deal with Target for Backspacer, Pearl Jam ended up selling 189,000 copies in week 1, according to Nielsen SoundScan. That’s not a bad number, but it’s a good bit less than the 279,000 that their previous record put up in 2006. Make of that what you will.

Random bits: U2 is the new Rolling Stone cover, the article is about their big tour that just arrived in America. I listened to the new Paramore CD this morning (thanks Rhapsody!, I'm still waiting for "Backspacer"). Their new CD "Brand New Eyes" is pretty good. I'll have to listen to it a few more times to form my true opinion of it. I also listened to the new super group Tinted Windows. (Usually when I think of tinted windows I think of the line from Run-D.M.C. The lyric is "Tinted windows don't mean nothing, they know who's inside.") Tinted Windows released their first CD in the early summer. The following is not a misprint, this super group features current or former members from Hanson, Cheap Trick, Fountains of Wayne and the Smashing Pumpkins. Rhapsody labels their music as power pop, I would have to agree.

Again due to my work schedule, I'm delayed watching "Mad Men". I finally got around to watching it last night. It was another good, not great, episode. It seems the shows writers are setting up both Don and Betty to have affairs. I'd really they would rather not. I'm so over Duck now, please have him go away. That's especially after the most unbelievable hook up in "Mad Men" history, Duck and Peggy please. What's next Bert and Roger's daughter? Don signed a three year contract, seemingly the least pleasant thing he has ever done. Ah to have such a rough life as Don Draper!

It's also good to have "Cold Case" back, another great show with another less than believable hook up. I'm glad it was renewed for this season.

I listened to Madonna's new double greatest hits CD, "Celebration" today. Yes I listened to all 37 songs. She's always been one of my favorites, but I'd forgotten how many good songs she has. After listening to Rhapsody for a few hours, I was ready for something different. I started listening to Pandora now. For the musical choice I typed in Paramore. Pandora is playing songs based on that selection and other songs I'm giving thumbs up to. The song Pandora played first was Paramore's "CrushCrushCrush", possibly their best song. Another song Pandora played is "Go Ahead" by the band Fireflight. A song I had never heard of before or even a band I have heard of. That's a pretty cool song though. Other songs they have played is the All-American Reject's "Move Along", Flyleaf's "Breathe Today" and Fall Out Boy's "Thanks Fr Th Mmrs". (My Fall Out Boy confession: it's only recently I found out that Pete Wentz is not the lead singer of FOB. He's only the bassist. Other than the J. Geils Band this is the only band I know of that doesn't feature the lead singer as the main dude.)

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites