Saturday, September 12, 2009

9/11 remembered, Pearl Jam


Hello,

Would you like to get the free MP3 for Lady Gaga's "Poker Face"? If so then go to Rhapsody.com, the song should be available through the weekend. That's a pretty cool song and the CD is also pretty good. (Again thanks to Rhapsody for being able to listen to that.) Check Rhapsody each non-holiday weekday for a free MP3. They usually have a pretty good choice of songs.

Pearl Jam rocks! I'll be seeing them in 16 days and their new CD comes out a week from tomorrow. That's very rare that a CD is released on a Sunday. The only other CD I can ever remember being released on a Sunday is Guns 'N' Roses' "Chinese Democracy". Many times in concert when Pearl Jam plays "Even Flow" one of the guitarists plays a long solo that sucks the energy out of that song. Of all the bootlegs I've listened to, the best live take of that song is on the February 13th, 2003 show in Sydney, Australia. The songs still kicks ass and the guitarist gets to play a solo. Please Pearl Jam play a similar version of that song on September 28th in Salt Lake.

I've actually had extra time lately but I've been using that time working on this blog and other things so my reading time has been slipping. I'm still about in the same place on "Feast of the Goat" that I've been the last few days. I did receive good news from my library, I'm number 178 on hold for Dan Brown's new book, "The Lost Symbol". Predictably "Symbol" is the top selling book at amazon.com even though it doesn't come out until September 15th. Also out this Tuesday is "Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman" by Jon Krakauer.

Other books coming out soon included Edward Kennedy's memoirs and books by Michael Connelly, John Irving, Michael Cricthon, Audrey Niffennegger and Margaret Atwood. (Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale" is a fantastic book. You definitely should read it, however skip the movie!) Also if you are interested Oprah is announcing her new book this Friday. I find for the most part she picks very good books. I just hope she doesn't pick "The Lost Symbol", I think that book has enough hype already. Oprah's first book club pick was Jacquelyn Mitchard's "The Deep End of the Ocean" It's an absolutely amazing novel. (Writing about all these great books makes me want to skip work and read all day. Although I would end up watching a lot of college football as well.)

My wife and I watched the Gene Hackmen movie "The Replacements" a couple of days ago. That's a great movie. It's a hilarious football movie, even the non-sports fan (like my wife) liked. Two things I didn't like about the movie is the Gene Hackmen played coach reminds me too much of "Hoosiers" Norman Dale. Also Keanu Reeves is probably one of the least convincing football players in the history of football movies. It looked like he would be lucky to throw the ball 10 yards. Whatever happened to the babe that's in the movie? Where did you go Brooke Langton?

Yesterday was 9/11. I was reminded about all the things I had done that day. I had to work that day, but first I had to drop my kid off at preschool. I worked and it was payday so I went to one of my favorite places Barnes and Noble. I made it just in time as they closed early that day to the horrific attacks. I then came home and watched some of the news coverage and couldn't believe it. Then my Mom and I had tickets to Lonestar at the Utah State Fair. The concert still went on and when Lonestar took the stage, the first song they sang was the National Anthem. After the concert I came home and was in shock for the next few days.

I also thought about where I was when I first heard about the attacks. My mother-in-law called our house and said there was fire coming from Manhattan. When I first turned on the TV, I didn't realize one of the most calamitous events in American history was occurring. I will never forget that day or all the policemen and firemen who risked their lives to save others. I love sports and their heroes it produces. However firefighters, police and soldiers you are the true heroes.

I want to thank all those who have fought for or will fight for our country. Thanks to men who fought on the bloody island Iwo Jima, for those who landed on Normandy Beach on D-Day. That's in spite of the fact many of those men knew they very likely were to die. (For as much of an appreciation of this that a civilian can get, watch the first 20 minutes of "Saving Private Ryan".)This is for those soldiers who liberated Europe and the genocidal prison camps of the Nazis. This is for the men who fought in Korea and Vietnam, even if they fought under false pretenses. This is for the brave soldiers who have or are still fighting in either of the Gulf Wars or Afghanistan. This is for the heroes who come home in body bags, missing parts of their body or psyche and for their family members. This is for you who still deal with the effects of that war, those of you who battle with Post-Traumatic Stress Syndrome and Gulf War Syndrome etc. Thank you!!!

9/11 is what inspired Pat Tillman to leave behind a multi-million dollar contract with the Arizona Cardinals to join the army. Bruce Springsteen's 9/11 CD "The Rising" is one of his best ever CDs. Also Neil Young "Let's Roll" is an amazing song detailing what happened on United Flight 93. Also the movie "United 93", directed by Paul Greengrass, is an amazing movie. It simulates the events that were happening at that time in the plane and elsewhere as well as can be expected.



(Thanks to freefoto.com for the picture.)

Thanks again United States heroes, themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites