Wednesday, September 16, 2009

R.I.P. Dan Seals

Hello,

I feel really out of it and not a very good musicaddict. I'll explain: I have several subscriptions to magazines but not enough time to stay current on them. I read them in chronological order and I'm usually a few months behind. I was reading through the April 10th, 2009 Entertainment Weekly last night. (The uber talented Jennifer Hudson is on the cover. Stay strong Jennifer!) While reading it I discovered that one of my all-time favorite country music singers died. Dan Seals, 61, died of complications with cancer on March 25th, 2009. This was the first I heard of it.

I saw him in concert several years ago and afterwards the person I was with wanted to go talk to him, so we did. He was very approachable and shook hands. Someone tried to hug him, but he said his lawyer said he couldn't hug women. The woman still hugged him and he seemed a bit surprised. He seemed to be a class act. It's sad to me that such a great singer and songwriter died with only a passing note in Entertainment Weekly. R.I.P. Dan.

Seals was probably more famous for his songs sung with England Dan and John Ford Coley. (They should not be confused with Seals and Crofts.) Their hits included "I'd Really Love To See You Tonight", "Love Is The Answer" and "We'll Never Have To Say Goodbye Again". Among his solo country songs are many great songs. These include "My Old Yellow Car", "Addicted", "Bop", "Everything That Glitters (Is Not Gold)", "One Friend" and "Three Time Loser". He also had many other great songs. (Thanks to Dan Seals Wikipedia page.)

Linda McMahon has quit the WWE (who can blame her?) as their CEO "to seek the Republican nomination for the U.S. Senate seat now held by Connecticut Democrat Christopher Dodd." (Thanks to Yahoo! News.) Other than being used to dealing with blowhards, I'm not sure what qualifies her to being a politician. Look what happens when we have unqualified politicians, see Bush, George W.

I enjoyed last night's episode of "Mad Men". Betty's father died the last episode and in this episode her new baby was born. Clearly a circle of life plot point thought of several months ago. There was also a surprise appearance made by her father. What is going on with all these mental issues that Betty continues to have? Is she going to have a breakdown, especially with Carla quitting? The Brit bosses continue to restrict the ad men of Sterling Cooper. I can clearly see a big explosion coming soon. That'll be an issue all season and probably have something to do with the cliffhanger. Also what is Duck Phillips up to? He can't really think that Pete Campbell is that good at his job. Neither Don or Sterling Cooper will miss him if he quits, however it would be a big mistake for Campbell. I look forward to all the twists and turns through the next 8 episodes.

Finally what is with all the characters telling Don Draper he has such a great life. I know that he does, but what point is the "Mad Men" writer trying to make? Other than a brief encounter with a stewardess, Don has been on his best behavior. What is up with Sally's teacher calling Don at home, it seems she had other things on her mind other than offering an apology. She has been in two episodes, obviously she will not be a fleeting character.

mrsmusicaddict and I watched the very clever "Duplicity" last night. This is not the best movie ever, but it's an enjoyable movie. A pretty good story with a very satisfying end. Julia Roberts and Clive Owen were also very good.

Here's a funny, low budget video I think you'll find entertaining.


Speaking of entertaining, the gorgeous Megan Fox is back with a new movie "Jennifer's Body". This movie is out September 18th. She's also the newest cover subject for Rolling Stone. Megan's middle name should be the.



This issue also features the Fall Album Preview and a Q and A with Paramore's own Hayley Williams. This looks like this will be a really good issue as they also have a feature about one of the all-time country music greats, Merle Haggard.

(Thanks to Rolling Stone.)

Flyleaf is finally releasing their second CD. It's called "Memento Mori" and will be released October 29th. Their self-titled debut CD has some of the best rock songs from the last several years. Be careful as their first CD will kick your butt. Enjoy!

Pearl Jam info coming next blog, themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites