Sunday, February 21, 2010

2/16 and 2/17 Hollywood Week 2, Part 2

The Top 12 female "AI" contestants, a much more solid group than the men/ boys.



Hello,

I'm including all 3 hours from last week into one big blog to limit your boredom. ew.com has an excellent introduction to the Top 24. () indicate where they are in last week's themusicaddict rankings Top 30. Performances from the following:

1) Angela Martin (25) singing a clip of Estelle's "American Boy". She sounded pretty good. I wonder how her other performances were that she didn't make it into the Top 24. Is there anyone else worse than Kara Disregardia breaking bad news to a prospective Idol? I agree with the judges, I don't think she's good enough to be in the Top 24. 5.0

2) Casey James (16) sang Colbie Cailliat's "Bubbly". Some people didn't like his performance but I thought he was pretty good. I hope we see more of his bluesy side in the Top 24. I see his picture and think he's a lightweight, but he's had some pretty good performances. 4.5

3) Jermaine Purifory (20) sang a very wimpy version of the Commodores "Brick House". He's not in the Top 24. 3.5

This is how it should be sung and played.



There was a lot of Ryan Seacrest's fake drama in these episodes. Ryan keeps on mentioning the "fate of 71 contestants".

4) Jermaine Sellers (14) : After a pretty amazing take on Joan Osborne's "One of Us" in the audition round, he disappointed in Hollywood. His "Man In The Mirror" was pretty weak. With the men's side not real impressive, he could make it to the Top 12 overall. However he's got to raise his game considerably. 3.5

5) Sioban Magnus (NR) sang Stevie Wonder's "Living For The City". Thanks Sioban for not singing "Hot N' Cold" or "Man In The Mirror". I always give thumbs up to people who sing Stevie Wonder's songs. She's through to the Top 24, even though she hasn't scored much screen time yet. 4.0

6) Crystal Bowersox (2): the 24 year old from Elliston, Ohio. She's a musician and Mom. She continued to tear it up in Hollywood by singing an amazing, powerful version of Sheryl Crow's "If It Makes You Happy". (Her singing makes me happy.) I'm sorry there wasn't any suspense about whether she was going through. That was a no brainer. She's my pick to win the whole thing. I actually like the name Randy Jackson came up for her, Mama Sox. 5.0



7) Alex Lambert (NR): Why do the judges like him so much? He's the 19 year old from North Richard, Texas. He sang Maroon 5's "Sunday Morning" and the wimpy Jason Mraz song "I'm Yours". (What happened to Jason Mraz after his excellent debut CD, "Waiting For My Rocket To Come"?) The thing he's most memorable for is getting yelled at by Mary Powers for not singing enough in the group round. He's on to the Top 24. The only question I have is, "Are you kidding me?" Both performances: 4.0.



8) Michael Lynche (NR): yet another mediocre version of Mraz's "I'm Yours". I liked his version better than Lambert's version though. It's very surprising he made it into the Top 24, it's a good thing the men's draw is pretty weak. Simon said it was "a very good day" and called their decision "unanimous". They then urged him to pick up Ryan Seascrest which he lifted like I lift a teddy bear. 4.5

9) Todrick Hall (7) : the singer from Arlington, Texas chose to also sing "I'm Yours". ("AI" producers did you only give the contestants 7 or 8 songs to sing?) His version of that song was not very good. Come on Todrick you can do much better than that. I think the judges were trying to deflate him a bit, when Kara said "yes" to the Top 24. He responded with "That's It?". At least they didn't torture him and didn't make him wait. 4.0

10) Thaddeus Johnson (NR), the 17 year old from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. He was one of the countless performers who sang Michael Jackson's "Man In The Mirror". He had a much more masculine voice than in the groups. I didn't enjoy his meltdown when he did not make the Top 24. I also didn't enjoy the camera man following him and his Mother into a bathroom stall. Try again in a few years Thaddeus. "Mirror" 4.0, after finding out he didn't make it: 0.0.

11) Charity Vance (NR), the 17 year old from Little Rock, Arkansas. She didn't make it into the Top 24. 3.5

12) Tasha Layton (6) sang Coldplay's "The Scientist". (I've never understood the appeal of Coldplay's wimpy music.) Tasha Layton is awesome though, I wish we could have seen more of her singing. This is not the best song though. If it was up to me I'd put her in the Top 24 over Katelyn Epperly definitely. Also possibly over Page Miles, Sioban Magnus and Michelle Delamore. 4.0

13) Mary Powers (NR) called singing Katy Perry's "Hot N Cold" "cake". She didn't have her cake and get to eat it. I've had much tastier cake. I'm glad the 29 year old from Burbank, California was sent home. I hate her attitude and thankfully she's too old to try out again next year. 4.0

14) Lloyd Thomas (NR), the 29 year old dock worker from Dallas, Texas. He also sang "Man In The Mirror". Rightfully the dock worker was sent home. 4.0

15) Bryan Walker (NR), the man that Randy said, "the singing policeman is hot" in the audition round. I wasn't very impressed after his meh version of "Superstar". I never understood his appeal, he's sort of lame. I'm also glad he got sent home. I can't even remember what song he sang in Hollywood and I don't care enough to find out. 3.5

16) We then saw brief glimpses of Tisha Holland (NR) and Jermaine Purifory (20).

17) Hope Johnson, my previous #1 until she was eliminated. I thought she sang a pretty good version of Daughtry's "Home". I would put her in over Katelyn Epperly as well. I hope the 20 year old from Arlington, Texas tries out again. 4.0

18) Shelby Dressel (NR), the 19 year old waitress sang an okay version of Boston's "More Than A Feeling". That seemed to be an odd choice of song amongst all the pop songs. 4.0

19) Aaron Kelly (NR), the 16 year old has forgot the lyrics twice and he still advances to the Top 24? He sang Sarah McLachlan's sleep inducing "Angel". 4.0

20) Ashley Rodriguez (11) sang Jordin Sparks' "Battlefield" in Hollywood. She's awesome. She tore it up in the audition round with Alicia Keys' "If I Ain't Got You". I hope she isn't annoying because I think she's going to go very far in this competition. Both songs and performances 5.0.

21) Lee Dewyze (12): One of the stronger male contestants in the Top 24. Could be Top 12 bound. Although in Hollywood Week, Simon called him "indulgent". He sang The Fray's "You Found Me". 4.5

22) Joe Munoz (NR), another contestant who sang Michael Jackson's "Man In The Mirror". I don't think he's going to last very long. 4.0

23) Haeley Vaughn, the 16 year old has handled herself so far. I liked her version of Taylor Swift's "Change" in Hollywood. Will she be able to keep it up? She did a pretty good job with Taylor Swift's "Change". I'd really like her to sing Carrie Underwood's "Before He Cheats". 5.0.

24) Janeel Wheeler, the 24 year old who use to work for a wine distribtor in Florida. I hope she doesn't need that job back with the way that she acted when Ryan asked her about it. She's from Tampa. She sang Taylor Swift's "Love Story" in Hollywood and she rocks. She was one of the people Ellen had to tease, but Janell is going through. 5.0



It's time for more fake Ryan Seacrest drama. He says such lame things as "soon they'll learn their destiny" and about the "emotional toll". He also says "because the talent is so great this year". He says that every year.

25) Tori Kelly, next up the 17 year old from Canyon Lake, California. She also chose to sing the over sung "Hot N Cold". In an extremely solid group of women, she's not moving on. Come back in a couple of years Tori, you'll have some life experience then and be much more mature. If "American Idol" is not around, there will be the "X Factor". 4.0

26) Lilly Scott, the 20 year old from Littleton, Colorado. She amazed with "Lullaby of Birdland", but wasn't so impressive with Hall and Oates "Rich Girl".

27) Andrew Garcia, last on last week's first episode certainly not least. He's very talented, but sort of flying under the radar. I liked both his "Sunday Morning" and "Straight Up". However why did he sing "Chasing Pavements". Why does that song has so much indie cred? I just don't understand. In who was going to the Top 24, it came down to him and Thaddeus Johnson. Between those two I think that's a pretty easy decision, Andrew Garcia hands down. He's really a likable guy and been very good go far this season. "Straight Up" 5.0, "Chasing Pavements" 4.0.

28) Didi Benami, she's going through to the Top 24 and the decision was "unanimous". She had one of my favorite performances in Hollywood with Katherine McPhee's "Terrified".

29) Katelyn Epperly (28) sang Duffy's "Syrup and Honey" in the audition round and was good there. Her "Something To Talk About" in Hollywood wasn't much to talk about. She said about the "AI" experience, "the further you make it, the more you want it". In a group of strong women, I was surprised she made it into the Top 24.

30) Jessica Furney: In the group round she made sure she got to sing her part in Gwen Stefani's "Sweet Escape". I thought she did pretty good with that. However what was that break down she had when the judges told her she's not making it through. She asked why she didn't make it through. Simon told her, "you didn't sing as well as the others". Furney became annoying very fast when she kept on saying, "you have no idea". Then she kept on whining to Ryan Seacrest. Jessica Furney have some pride. (Handle going home with class like Tori Kelly.) "Sweet Escape" 4.0

31) Tyler Grady, the young kid with the 70's and Jim Morrison vibe. He called Robert Plant one of his idols. Tyler you have very good taste. I liked his singing of "Going Home". It will be interesting to see how far he goes. 5.0

32) Lacey Brown, last year she lost out to the awesome Megan Joy. Simon called this year's group of women better than last year. However Lacey still made it through. She sang a magnificent version of "What A Wonderful World" in Hollywood. 5.0

33) Joe Munoz (NR) is going to the Top 24. However I really can't make a decision on him as he's only got about 1 minute of air time so far.

34) Katie Stevens (5), another strong contender to be this season's American Idol. She had a good "At Last" in the audition round. She did a pretty good job as well on Stevie Wonder's "For Once In My Life". 4.0, 4.5



35) Michelle Delamor (NR), another contestant that hasn't got enough screen time. We saw a bit of her in the group round. She's one of the great unknown.

36) John Park (26), another one with little screen time. Other than Shania Twain getting discombobulated by him, we've seen very little of him. He's still sort of a mystery.

37) Page Miles (NR), she's another mystery. We've seen her twice and haven't heard her sing at all.

I want to know what happened to Mallory Haley (13), Luke Shaffer (8), Liz Rooney (24), Jessica Cunningham (19) and Genesis Moore (NR)?

Jessica Cunningham:



Clearly the women are the strength of this season. In my rankings they have the #'s 2,3,4,5,10,11,15,17 and 28. There are also three women who are not ranked. Meanwhile the men have the #'s 7,9,12,14,16,23,26. There are five men who aren't ranked.

I can't wait until the live performances this week, I plan on buying the song Crystal Bowersox sings.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites