Friday, February 5, 2010

"AI" auditions Best of the Rest episode

Hello,

This is a review of the 8th and finally the last audition episode, the best of the rest episode. Thank goodness the auditions are over and on to Hollywood next week.

1) Jessica Furney -20- Warmego, Ks. She sang Simon Cowell's own co-written song "Footprints in the Sand". I'd like to know how much he contributed to the actual writing. Furney sang Leona Lewis' version. She's a repeat candidate from last year and has had a makeover in the past year. I liked her last year and was disappointed when she got cut so early. I also like her this year. 4.5/5

2) Amanda Schehtman: she sang a song I'm not familiar with. She started out cute, but then after her audition they allowed her to talk. That was not a good thing for Amanda as she was very annoying. She's an actress and overly dramatic. Kara had to tell her "it's the connection really". I think she'll be an early Hollywood washout. For her singing I gave her 4/5, but she lost .5 of a point for her obnoxious personality. Final grade: 3.5/5

3) Lee Dewyze -23- paint sales clerk. He did not get much screen time, but I loved his version of Bill Withers' "Ain't No Sunshine". I liked it much better than Kris Allens's sort of weak version last year. 5/5

4) Crystal Bowersox: she sang the Janis Joplin classic song "Piece of My Heart". Another person who did not get much screen time, but who I have high hopes for. 4.5/5

5) Lacey Brown: Another repeat performer from last year. She made the Season 8 Top 50. But in the chairs episode she was bumped by Megan Corkrey for the Top 36. She sang a very nice version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". She actually sang one of the better versions that I've heard by an "American Idol" contestant. 4.5/5

In between the good auditions we had Stephanie Fisher, student and promotional model. (What exactly is a promotional model?) She attempted Peggy Lee's "Fever". I agree she didn't deserve to go to Hollywood, I do thank her for reminding me about the song "Fever". I especially like that song when it swings. I think it works much better that way than as a ballad. My favorite version is the Sarah Vaughn version. I like the Adam Freeland mix. I think that song could even swing more than the Vaughn/Freeland version. Stephanie 2/5, "Fever" 5/5

Here's an interesting version of that song, this is the Beyonce version. What's up with the giant cat though? I know the lyrics refer to a cat, but that still doesn't make sense.



Here's Elvis's version, I feel his version is a little restrained.



Here's Peggy Lee's version:



6) Rachel Hubbard -16- Borene, Tx. She's a high school student. She did a very good version of Martina McBride's "Wrong Again". She has a nice voice, but she's only 16. I wish they would raise the minimum age to 18. 16 years old is just too young. 4/5

7) Thaddeus Johnson -16- Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Another probably too young high school student. He sang LeAnn Rimes "How Do I Live". I think that is one of the greatest songs of all-time. His version was okay. 4/5

Here's LeAnn Rimes live version:



8) Genesis Moore -16- McDonagh, Georgia. She sang a song I'm not familiar with, I didn't see any other bloggers that knew the name of the song. 4.5/5

Another weird audition: Adrian C. The "manflower". I looked up the definition of "man boobs" and they had his picture without a shirt on.

9) Micheal Lynch -26- Astoria, New York. He's a personal trainer and a big, buff guy. I don't see him lasting too long in Hollywood, I'm glad I'm not the one that's going to tell him he's not the next American Idol. He sang The Righteous Brothers' "Unchained Melody". 4/5

10) Didi Benami -22- waitress. She sang the Beatles "Hey Jude". I'm not a big fan of the Beatles, but I do like that song. I really, really like her. She's a babe and got 4 yeses to Hollywood. Avril Lavigne said she has "huge potential". 5/5

11) Aaron Kelly -16- Sonestown, Pa. He sang the Miley Cyrus song "The Climb". Again too young and I wasn't overwhelmed by him. 4/5

Then a couple of sort of strange auditions. First was Kimberly Bishop -20- torturing Katy Perry's version of "I Kissed A Girl". Next it was Shaddai Harris version of the Alicia Keys song, "Falling In Love". His singing turned off Simon Cowell on Alicia Keys.

12) Hope Johnson -19- waitress/bartender. My favorite of the night and one of my favorites of the whole audition round. I love her speaking voice and I love her singing voice. She sang the sappiest song of all-time, Martina McBride's "I Hope You Dance", but I won't hold that against her. Look for her to be near the Top of my Top 30 coming Sunday. I have high hopes for Hope :) 5/5

I'm having a Top 7, because they had so many good auditions this round.
7) Genesis Moore, unknown song. If you know please e-mail me.
6) Crystal Bowersox sang the Janis Joplin classic, "Piece of My Heart".
5) Jessica Furney sang Leona Lewis' "Footprints In The Sand".
4) Lacey Brown sang "Somewhere Over The Rainbow".
3) Lee Dewyze sang Bill Withers' "Ain't No Sunshine".
2) Didi Benami sang the Beatles "Hey Jude".
1) Hope Johnson sang Martina McBride's "I Hope You Dance".

Next week we are finally going to Hollywood and not a moment too soon. This audition round has been way too long. 3 weeks of auditions is just right. Please "AI" producers show more of the good auditions from now on. I would have loved to see at least 30 seconds of each of the 181 people going to Hollywood.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites