Tuesday, February 23, 2010

February Top 30, Part 2

Hello,

Just a couple of notes before I get to the countdown. I finished reading the book "Flash Forward" last night. It's a great book and the idea about the flash forward is such an amazing concept to write about. I loved the book, but the end was sort of lame. After all this great action, great characters it ends on one of the main characters hoping he can get together with another one of the main characters. Although it doesn't seem logical that they will ever get together.

I'm pretty jazzed up about the TV series based on that book, also called "Flash Forward". I've watched the first two of the 10 episodes that have been shown so far.
It's very well thought out and intelligent science fiction.

I also recently bought Morrissey's "Years of Refusal". Check it out, it features such great songs as "Sorry Doesn't Help", "Something Is Squeezing My Head", "That's How People Grow Up" and "It's Not Your Birthday Anymore". My favorite song on the CD is "All You Need Is Me". This really rocks.

Also I'm excited with the live performances of "AI" starting tonight. I'm glad the girls are going first because they are far superior this year. I just hope the guys aren't as dull as they were last year. I went to the iTunes music store and again they are selling the performances this year. However who is the idiot who is greedy and have increased the prices to $1.29 per MP3. That's such a corporate America thing to do.

Here's my Top 30 list continued. I've revealed the four people who made "AI" Top 24 but not my Top 30. They are Tim Urban, Joe Munoz, Alex Lambert and Aaron Kelly. # 30 to #25 (from yesterday's blog) 30) Paige Miles, 29) Jermaine Purifory 28) Jessica Cunningham 27) Angela Martin 26) Tori Kelly 25) Michael Lynche. 5 of these people so far have made it to the Top 24, I don't have much excitement to watch them sing tomorrow.

24) Maddie Penrose (last week: 22). I like the singer from Murray, Utah. The trying to be the quirky girl didn't really work out for her. She's got to pick a normal pair of glasses. I do like her voice though.

23) Seth Rollins (last week: 21). I loved his "Someone To Watch Over Me" in the audition round. I would put him in the Top 24 about the previously mentioned 5 male contestants. Too bad he can't try out next year, thank goodness for "X Factor" Seth.

22) Katelyn Epperly (last week: 28). She was good in the audition round with Duffy's "Syrup and Honey". Her "Something To Talk About" in Hollywood was weak and she probably is the weakest of the remaining female contestants. At least of the ones that have received significant screen time. (Neither Michelle Delamor or Paige Miles qualify under that criteria.) I don't think she's going to be around for long.

21) Jermaine Sellers (last week: 14). He's tumbled all the way from 7 as he hasn't recaptured the magic of his audition round take on Joan Osbourne's "One of Us". He sang a couple of relatively old songs in Hollywood. They were "Man In The Mirror" and "Carry On Wayward Son". He needs to get more current or put a current twist on an older song. See Andrew Garcia and his take on "Straight Up". He made that 80's song feel very current and relevant.

20) John Park (last week: 26). He's slowly moving up this list as he continues to advance in the competition. I liked his "I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know" in the audition round, but he needs a breakout performance desperately. I don't know if he's had any more screen time where he's singing. Hey "AI" here's an idea, next season maybe more time given to the singing and a significantly less time given to the rooms part of the episode. People tune into this show to hear the singing not for the fake drama.

19) Mallory Hailey (last week: 13). Did she even make it to Hollywood? She impressed with her cover of Janis Joplin's "Piece of My Heart" in the audition round. We have not seen her since then though.

18) Michelle Delamor (new). She's mostly been missing in action so far this season. She must be a good singer as she has advanced to the Top 24. She was in the group that sang "Irreplaceable". Her best feature was in the audition round. However it wasn't shown with the audition rounds. Her audition performance was featured in an "AI" promo for Season 9. What little we saw of her "Chain of Fools" was pretty solid.

I'll be back tomorrow with more. I'm very busy right now, so I haven't been able to give as much effort to this blog as I wanted. themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites