Sunday, February 7, 2010

"AI" Top 30 after auditions, Go Saints


Hello,

Here's a bonus picture of the gorgeous Carrie Underwood, she's singing the National Anthem for today's Super Bowl 44. What was with that outfit she was wearing?

I'm cheering for the Saints today. I don't know why I'm so excited about this game, but I definitely am. I think it will be a high scoring shootout. It will be a fun game to watch. Last year I didn't even watch a minute of the Pittsburgh-Arizona Super Bowl. I just had no interest in the game that featured one of the NFL's greatest franchises vs. the Cardinals? Yawn! If this year's Super Bowl had been Minnesota vs. Indy, I would have had no interest either. Maybe I'm excited because something special might happen today. Reggie Bush is playing for the Saints, he's one of my all-time favorite players. I loved him at USC and hope he has at least a couple of breakout plays today.

Go Saints! I predict New Orleans 34, Indy 31.

Although the Who playing the Super Bowl is a bit puzzling. The two remaining, surviving members average age is 64.5. Those two people of course are Roger Daltrey and Pete Townsend. Both the legendary Keith Moon and John Entwistle are deceased. Maybe next year we can round up a band from a retirement home!

I'm also looking forward to the commercials. Click on the following link to see what ew.com thinks are the Top 11 Super Bowl commercials of all-time.

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20340963,00.htmlhttp://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20340963,00.html

Here's my favorite Super Bowl commercial of all time. This is the dawning of the age of Apple and the Macintosh, the best computer platform ever. Apple: Now dominating business with music players, cell phones and increasing on computers and tablets.



I had forgotten how spooky this commercial is. I believe this is the first meeting of corporate America drones.

Now we go with the Top 30 "AI" contestants after the too long audition rounds. These are the Top 30 plus 10 to watch. These are just my rankings from the auditions and my impressions so far. I haven't read any of the spoiler sites. I did that last year and it wasn't as fun.

First the possible chart busters: Miriam Lemouni, Katie Stevens, Andrew Garcia, Amadeo Diricco, Jermaine Purifoy, Keith Semple, Haeley Vaughn, Mark Labriola, Tyler Grady and Joshua Blaylock.

30) John Park (Last week: 24) The 20 year old sang the Blood, Sweat & Tears "I Love You More Than You Know". He might have completely dropped out of this list, however it seems he has something intangible and he may end up doing well. Also we should keep Shania Twain away from him:)

29) Genesis Moore (Debut). The 16 year old sang a song I'm not familiar with. She didn't get much screen time.

28) Antonio Wheeler (Skii Bo Ski)(Last Week:20) He sang the Temptations' "I Heard It Through The Grapevine". The funny, snappy wiseacre kid is very entertaining.

27) Noel Reese (last week: 19) the young singer who sang a pretty good version of Whitney Houston's "I Have Nothing". I think she might be too young to go far, I would suggest for her to come back in a couple of years. "AI" might be done by then but I'm sure "X Factor" will still be around.

26) Claire Fuller (last week: 15). The 23 year old from Philadelphia had a forgettable audition. She had a good audition, I just don't remember a lot about it. I do remember she's a babe and I like her singing, but don't remember anything else.

25) Benjamin Bright (last week: 16). He sang the Beatles "All My Loving". I do remember him and like his voice. He could be a big surprise maybe.

24) Jim Ranger (last week: 17) He sang his own original composition, "Drive". I like that song. He could end up being great or not so great. We'll see! I just get the feeling he's not going to be the type of contestant the judges are going to like.

23) Janell Wheeler (last week: 18). I really liked her version of The Animals' "House of the Rising Sun". She has a good voice and is attractive.

22) Jennifer Hirsh (last week: 14) She sang the song from "The Wizard of Oz", "Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead". A strange choice but it seemed to work. Here's her singing a longer version of that song than was shown on "AI".



21) Jessica Furney (Debut). The 20 year old is around for her second "American Idol" journey. She was good last year and good this year. It seemed to be a little self serving that she sang a song that Simon Cowell allegedly "co-wrote".

20) Bosa Mora (last week: 13). I liked his soulful version of the George Strait song, "You Look So Good In Love". I have sort of soured on him the last couple of weeks, although I really don't have a conscious reason. There's just something about him that I don't think he's going to get far in Hollywood.

19) Kimberly Carver (last week: 11) she sang an original composition. I don't remember much about her either.

18) Crystal Bowersox (debut). One of the two contestants to sing a pretty good version of Janis Joplin's classic, "Piece Of My Heart".

17) Kimberly Kerbow (debut) The 24 year old cutie sang Ingrid Michaelson's "The Way I Am". (I've become a pretty big Ingrid Michaelson fan since hearing Kerbow singing this song.)

16) Lacey Brown (debut) The second time contestant sang a very good version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". I expect big things from her.

15) Donelle Hayes (debut). In these last set of auditions she did over sing Melissa Etheridge's "I'm The Only One" a bit. Thankfully she didn't over sing as bad as Von Smith last year. She has a good voice and good presence, just tone it down a bit. Keep on picking great songs like that!

14) Angela Martin (last week: 12) The 28 year old contestant who's trying out for her third season of this show. Since she's 28 this is the last year that she can tryout for "Idol". She got to the Top 50 last year but had to go home to take care of a speeding ticket. She had a warrant out on her. She sang Mary J. Blige's "Just Fine". There just seems to be something standing in her way, this year her mother is missing. I haven't heard an update on that.

13) Katelyn Epperly (last week: 8). I'm having a hard time remembering her. She sang Duffy's "Syrup and Honey". Is the 19 year old too young to win the whole thing?

12) General Larry Platt (last week:6) This is someone that I don't have a hard time remembering at all. I love the frisky 62 year old, retired military man. Obviously he's not eligible for this competition and will continue to slide down this list. He still is one of my favorite auditions of this season.

11) Seth Rollins (last week: 10). He sang Frank Sinatra's "Someone To Watch Over Me". He also was one of my favorite auditions of the year. He has a pleasant voice and sang that song very well. I really like him, but I'm a little skeptical he can win the whole thing. (Allison Iraheta also sang this song last year and I love her version as well.)

10) Leah Laurenti (last week: 7). The 22 year old could use a break out Hollywood week to really set herself apart. She sang a nice jazzy touch on the Ella Fitzgerald "Blue Skies".

9) Lee Dewyze (debut). The 23 year old impressed me quite a bit with a solid version of "Ain't No Sunshine". I thought he sang the Bill Withers' classic better than Kris Allen last year.

8) Tasha Layton (last week: 9) She's someone that has grown on me the more I think about her. She has a lot of potential and I expect her to go far in this competition.

7) Jermaine Sellers (last week: 5). He did a great take on the Joan Osborne classic "One of Us". Another one I expect to see go far in this competition.

6) Didi Benami (debut). I loved her take on the Beatles "Hey Jude". I think the 22 year old will do well in this competition. I expect her to at least finish in the Top 12.

5) Ashley Rodriguez (last week: 5) She was fairly early in the audition process. I remember her mainly because of her awesome take on Alicia Keys' "If I Ain't Got You". The 21 year old has huge potential.

4) Mallory Hailey (last week: 4). The other person who did an amazing version of Janis Joplin's "Piece of My Heart. She's another one that may be too young to go the distance, but she certainly seems to have the ability.



3) Todrick Hall (last week: 2). I'm turned off a bit by the whole fiasco where a group he was associated took some kids money to stage a performance, but they had to cut some of the performances. However I really like his voice and I loved his own "AI song". (That's my title for it.)

2) Luke Shaffer (last week: 1). He sang Secondhand Serenade's "Fall For You". One of the several songs that I've been introduced to this season. It's a song I really like. I think he has potential to go a long way and maybe even win the whole thing. I would like to see more girls in the Top 8 mix this year though than last year.

1) Hope Johnson (debut). The 19 year old has a couple of things going against her. First of all she may be too young, I also hope she picks better songs. Martina McBride's "I Hope You Dance" is one of the sappiest songs of all-time. However Hope has an amazing talking and singing voice. She could be a much more interesting champion than Ruben Studdard, Kris Allen and Taylor Hicks. (How bad was the season that Taylor Hicks was on for him to win it all?)

All the above is based on one audition only. I expect that this list will be dramatically changed next week. A lot of these people will probably completely drop out. On the flip side, some people who we haven't even seen will enter. Thank goodness Hollywood week is finally here.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites