Friday, May 7, 2010

The Kindness of Strangers, "Iron Man 2", "American Idiot" Broadway Soundtrack, Katy Perry

Hello,

Yesterday I was driving home from work and my car started making a grinding sound which meant a flat tire. I was invited to a surprise tire changing party! That happened about 7:30 and usually that kind of thing would freak me out. However it didn't bother me this time. I don't have a cell phone, I couldn't call anyone. (I think cell phones are of the devil and one of the most worthless pieces of technology ever.)

However I just calmly pulled to the side of the road and waited. I pulled out the book I'm reading now "The Postmistress" and read for awhile. About 8:15 a very nice person pulled over and helped me. He went the full distance, he showed me how to change the tire and let me do a lot of it. (Don't worry if I see you on the side of the road with a flat tire, I won't stop and "help" you. I'm still not very confident in my tire changing skills.) He also made sure the tire was full of air. When it wasn't he drove me to a gas station and filled up the tire. All and all a great guy and I would like to thank him personally. My Dad was surprised that someone had stopped and helped me. I'm not sure why, I do live in Utah and that type of thing happens here all the time.

I know why I didn't get uptight. Usually when I'm losing time on something unimportant or that doesn't interest me I get wound up. For instance, my divorce is really a waste of time. There are so many worthless things one has to do for it to be final. I have a lawyer, I wish he could just take care of everything. I don't ever want to think about it again. However I have a low stress job and was able to get a lot done while at work. Also this weekend is my second straight three day weekend. I went and got my car fixed, went to "Iron Man 2" and bought my Mom's Mother's Day gift. I was thinking how glad I am I have a job I can do, that's enjoyable and the pay is reasonably good.

Now on to "Iron Man 2". It was a pretty good movie, it's definitely worth your time. I only have a few quibbles with it. ew.com pointed out there's too much action and not enough of the zippy dialogue we liked so much about the first movie. It was a bit soulless in that regard. Also Sam Rockwell plays Justin Hammer, Tony Stark's wanna be rival, as one of the most annoying characters of all time. This character is up there with Jar Jar Binks. Yes, he's hit a near Binksian low. Hammer reminds me a lot of the Rick Moranis character from the first "Ghostbusters". Someone that's a schlub and nowhere as cool as he thinks he is. My last minor quibble: after having an exclusive AC/DC soundtrack their music is hardly played.

Minor quibbles aside, it was a pretty good movie. There's some amazing eye candy in this movie. Scarlett Johansen is getting better looking with time, I'm finally understanding her appeal. She's absolutely gorgeous with red hair. Also Gwyneth Paltrow plays Starks's long suffering secretary/CEO (you read that right) Pepper Potts. ew.com also points out that John Slattery shows up to play Tony Stark's father. We only see him in old films from the 60's. It's a nice "Mad Men" touch from one of that show's main characters.



Okay, a few more quick things. First, I listened to the "American Idiot" Broadway Soundtrack. I was expecting something that would completely blow, something that would reach that Binksian level of terribleness. However I find myself very surprised to suggest to you to go out and buy it. It's very good. Most of the songs originated with Green Day's "American Idiot". However there are a couple of added songs. One added song, "Favorite Son", I've never heard before. Another song is "Too Much Too Soon", it's a non-album track I got somewhere. There's also a ballad to add to the story called "When It's Time". Last but not least there are also at least two songs from their recent CD, "21st Century Heartbreak". They are "Know Your Enemy" and the amazing "21 Guns". Does it rock? Absolutely. It kicks some serious butt, pretty close to the Green Day original songs. They also say a bunch of the f bomb for those of you who are wondering. (Thanks to napster and mycokerewards.com for being able to listen to all these great CDs free.)

Second, Katy Perry has her new single available on her website, katyperry.com. It's called "California Gurls" and is an awesome song. Although for some reason she has Snoop Dogg rapping on it. He actually adds to the song, which really surprised me. But that's a trend that mostly needs to go away, the inviting of rappers to rap over what's a very good song. It usually hurts the song's likability.

Also is it just my imagination or does Katy Perry continue to get better looking? She's experiencing the same getting hotter as she gets older that Scarlett Johansson is going through. She's looking hot promoting her new single.



Finally another great episode of "FlashForward". I love that show and how the story has set everything up that's happening now. Some of it's coming true but some of it isn't. The Lloyd Simcoe character is great, so is the person who plays the high functioning savant. He keeps on talking about how Olivia and Lloyd need to get together. In his multiple FlashForwards Lloyd and Olivia are suppose to be together. I'm old fashioned and I believe in marriage, I hope they don't get together. I would not blame Lloyd because Olivia is a gorgeous looking woman. (This is the best picture I could find and does not do her justice.)



One more thing. This is one of the greatest songs of all-time. Enjoy! I love where it really kicks in about the 1:10 mark. I love the horns and keep an eye out for the square guitar.



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites