Monday, June 7, 2010

Divorce songs

Hello,

When one gets divorced they should be given a T-shirt that says "I survived marriage, I survived divorce, I can make it through anything". My divorce was very tough for me. Now looking back at it I'm not heartbroken the marriage ended. The ex has a lot of good qualities, but she also has a lot of annoying personality quirks.

As I was driving to work I was thinking about some songs that helped me get through my divorce and still are helping me. They may help you also. For the above paragraph Pearl Jam has a great song called "Rearviewmirror" that includes the line... "I saw things clearer, clearer once you were in my rearviewmirror". Hindsight is indeed 20/20. The song also kicks butt!!

Here's the song:



Here's the song I couldn't listen to the first two months into the divorce process. It still gets to me a little bit. I even sent this video to my wife in a last ditch chance to save the marriage, to no avail. What a great song though.



Here's a song about working through the whole process of the end of a relationship. This song is Daughtry's "Over You". He's the patron saint of break up songs and Patsy Cline is the female equivalent.



The most fitting lyrics of this song are, "And when you slammed the front door shut, a lot of others opened up. So did my eyes so I could see."

Another amazing Pearl Jam song about the loss of a relationship:


This is the great B.B. King and probably his most famous song. The title says it best "The Thrill Is Gone".



Another great 90's Seattle band and an appropriate divorce song, although it may not be talking about it directly. Soundgarden's "Fell On Black Days":



Ashton Shepherd has such a great voice. Here comes the liberation:



This kind of ruins the theme I'm establishing here, but another great song, Enigma's "Sadness".



This song might work better for the ex, but it feels appropriated for me as well. Dido rules!



Let's go back to the 80's, relationships were ending then too I guess.



Another classic from the 80's. Ultravox's "Dancing With Tears In My Eyes":



I love how this song builds to a big end. What a great and bitter song. The amazing Sinead O' Connor's "The Last Day of Our Acquintance":



You will make it through the divorce. It isn't the end of the world I promise.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites