Monday, June 24, 2013

Things I'm Not Writing About Today, June 24th, 2013: "World War Z", NBA Draft & Jazz Just Say No To Jimmer (Updated June 25th, 2013)

Hello,

These are things I'm definitely not writing about today.

Sports:

Aaron Hernandez: arrest him already.

The NBA Draft: According to ESPN.com's Chad Ford, the Jazz are projected to select Lucas Noguiera at 14 and Dennis Schroeder at 21. I don't know anything about Noguiera and about the only thing I know about Schroeder is that he's a project.

Dearest Jazz, please do not draft the following players: Kelly Olynyk. I watched him play in March Madness in Salt Lake. My impression of him is that he's soft. He played too much outside of the key, I want my centers to play near the basket. The Jazz have had success with Gonzaga players, but that was John Stockton. He was tough as nails. (To the ESPN "expert" who suggested that Olynyk could end up to the Jazz at #14 on Thursday, I have one thing to say "Noooooo!". It's only funny until someone like that ends up on my team.)

- Please don't draft Jeff Withey, the Jazz haven't done well with slow, stiff, white centers.

- Mason Plumlee: Not only is he a Dukie, but see above.

- Shabazz Muhammad: He may have a tremendous upside, but his off the court issues will probably prevent the conservative Jazz from drafting him. I'm good with that.

Another thing I don't want to see is Jimmer Fredette possibly coming to the Jazz. Just as I begged the Jazz not to draft Fredette two years ago, now I'm begging them not to trade for him. Apparently there's rumors out there that the Kings want to trade Fredette for a first round pick in Thursday's NBA Draft. Because Fredette played college ball in Utah, of course the rumors are that he may end up with the Jazz. The Jazz have the 14th and 21st pick in the first round, I'd prefer having those picks over Fredette. I know this isn't a deep draft, but both of those picks could be diamonds in the rough. People already know what they get with the Jazz.

Let's be frank, Fredette was a great college player. I appreciate all the fun times and great memories he brought to the Cougars. However he doesn't have the skill level to be an impact player in the NBA. If the Jazz trade for Fredette, that would be a step back for the Jazz. The small amount of buzz he would create would be negated by his many distractions he'd bring. It would be similar, on a much smaller scale, to the circus surrounding the Jets and Tim Tebow.

I'm a humongous BYU fan, counting down to going to their home football games this season, but I want the Jazz to have nothing to do with Fredette. I have nothing personal against him and wish him only the best. However he's not going to be a piece of the puzzle to get the Jazz back to being a significant player in the playoffs.

To the person who was wondering on 1280 The Zone this morning if Jimmermania has abated in Utah? The answer is yes, you can now buy his autobiography for half price at local stores. Not only that, but there are a lot of copies remaining.

I would like to see the Jazz draft at least one point guard. I'd be happy if the Jazz draft point guards with both of their first round picks. That way those two players can compete against each other, making each better hopefully. No more of the fill in free agent point guard, let the young point guard(s) learn by playing in games. If I could pick for the Jazz, I'd pick Shane Larkin at 14. I wouldn't be opposed to the Jazz selecting Dennis Schroeder or Isaiah Canaan following Larkin's selection. (Please no more Mo Williams or any of those other current mediocre NBA point guards the Jazz have had recently.)

Chad Ford on ESPN.com is projecting that the Jazz could get Nate Wolters in the second round. I was surprised I'd heard of who he projected for the Jazz. Ford projects that Wolters could go to the Jazz in the second round. I'd be so good with that. With all the free agents the Jazz have, there could be a lot of holes for the Jazz to fill. Wolters could make the Jazz and might even be a good rotation player.

Jazz don't screw this up and you could have a lot of excitement about this seasons team. Go 100% with a youth movement. The only free agent I would even want back would be Paul Milsap, but only if he realizes he's here to help with the youth movement.

The Cowboys' DeMarcus Ware is doing advertisements for Depends adult diapers. That's definitely a metaphor for something, I'm just not sure what. I bet the size he wears is a lot bigger than the size Jerry wears.

Entertainment:

The "World War Z" movie and book are completely different. I went to see the "World War Z" movie this past Friday. It was opening day and I was surprised that the theatre was less than a 1/3 full. But it's a great movie. The opening scene is perfect, setting the tone for the tension of the whole movie. Brad Pitt has received mixed reviews in his performance, but I thought he did a fantastic job. Sometimes it's hard to separate him as an actor and him as Mr. Angelina Jolie.

The movie is also incredibly smart and the action is intense. Don't be fooled by the previews for the movie. If you are like me you thought you knew what the previews were showing. As for me I was wrong in what I thought I knew. I loved that I had no clue of what was going to happen next. Although the movie slowed down at the end, it was a very satisfying conclusion.

I was so jazzed by the movie that I started reading the "World War Z" book by Max Brooks that same day. I'm enjoying it, but the book being broken down into a series of oral histories isn't the most entertaining form of writing for me. I wish the story was told more like the movie in a straight forward narrative. That being said I'm enjoying the book, just not as much as I enjoyed the movie.

"The Killing" is starting to repeat some of it's mistakes of it's first two seasons. The first half of the episode of "Scared and Running" built tension perfectly, but somehow that petered out. "The Killing" spends too much time on false leads.

We've seen the scene when someone calls a cell phone and then finds that cell phone near by.

I'm tired of how constantly dark each episode is, the contrast between the show and the commercials is amazing. The show can still be good with more lighting. "The Killing's" lighting bill must be almost nonexistent. Although when the show is outside, it's usually overcast.

Joel Kinnaman's coolness and sense-of-humor needs to play a bigger part for the rest of this season.

Peter Sarsgaard as serial killer Ray Seward has been great, but that story line is starting to get tired. When are we going to find out the point of his character?

It's funny through the first 2/3rds of "Running and Scared" I liked it and planned on recommending it. However for me the last third of the episode and I started to see how the show is repeating it's mistakes. I hated the whole tracking down the girl, who the detectives thought was Kallie, but it was someone else. There's way too much of that kind of thing.

"The Killing" needs to lighten up in multiple ways. For now I'll continue watching it, but if becomes too much like season 1 or season 2 and I'm going to have to bale.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites