Wednesday, June 12, 2013

What themusicaddict Isn't Writing About Today: 6/12/13: Check Out "Longmire"

Hello,y

These are things I'm most definitely not writing about today, at least not in great detail.

TV:

- If you aren't watching "Longmire" on A&E, I strongly suggest it. It's a great show set in the Sheriff's department of fictional Absoroka County, Wyoming. "Longmire" stars Robert Taylor as  crotchety Sheriff Walt Longmire. Taylor fits the role of Longmire like a glove. Also in the excellent cast is Katee Sackhoff as Vic, one of the sherriff's deputies. Yes, the same Sackhoff that played Starbuck on the excellent updated version of "Battlestar Galactica". Rescued from the 80s is the great Lou Diamond Phillips, Phillips plays Henry. A local bar owner and about the only friend that Longmire has. Henry is both Longmire's confidant and conscience. He also may or may not have something to do with the death of the killer of Longmire's wife.

Finding out who killed the killer of Longmire's wife is one of the two long term storylines going on in this show. The other is Longmire is running for election against one of his deputies, Branch. That's just one of many irritants between those two. I'm not a big fan of either one of the long term story lines. I wish the show would focus more on the cases and the interactions between the excellent characters. I also like that Ferg is figuring out how things work in the Sheriff's office.

- One show you probably don't need to watch is "King and Maxwell", another too similar procedural police show. I've read part of one of the books from the David Balducci series about the two characters. The book is a bit better but doesn't have the advantage of the still attractive Rebecca Romijn. Although did there really need to be a shower scene in the first episode? Tacky! I'll probably watch one or two more episodes of "King and Maxwell" before completely giving up on it. I also need to finish reading the book.

I'll probably wait until the start of "Rizzoli and Isles" to get my complete fill of a gorgeous detective, the incredibly sexy and husky voiced Angie Harmon. A show that also has a great cast and a great sense-of-humor.

- The first two episodes of Season 3 of "Falling Skies" were okay. Although I don't think this show needs any more aliens. I like the new alien species and how it's unclear if they are friends or allies.

- "The Killing" remains the darkest show on TV. The atmosphere, the story line, Linden's own darkness. After watching Season 3's third episode I'm still going to be watching this show. However if it doesn't lighten up, I don't know if I'll be able to make it to the end of the season.

Movies:

- J.J. Abrams "Star Trek: Into Darkness" was excellent. The story was decent and the action was great. So many modern movies have action just to have action, in this movie the action fits right in with the story. "Into Darkness" also has a great opening sequence. If Abrams can do similar work with "Star Wars", I'll be much more excited about it. Although the chances of anyone living up to my expectations for "Star Wars 7" are almost so low as not to be even possible.

Books:

- I just finished reading Tom Perrotta's "The Leftovers". It's a novel about what happens after the Rapture happens. It's both funny and touching and contains many great characters. My only complaint is that I read the book on my Kindle. I'd read to the 93% mark of the book and I was waiting for an exciting finale. A baby being left on someone's door step was an abrupt ending. I realized that the final 7% of the book was just an author interview and other stuff. Not that it's the books fault, but the ending felt way too abrupt.

"The Leftovers" is a novel that's deserving of a sequel, I would like to know what happened to all of the Garvey family? What did Kevin and Nora do with each other and with the baby? Where is Jill going with her life, will it be more ping pong with drunken twins? Where did the Guilty Remnant take Laurie and why? Did Tom find Christine and if so what happened?

- Now I'm reading Ian Rankin's "Knots and Crosses", his first of 18 so far Detective Rebus novels. After reading the first third, so far so good.

Sports:

- Tim Tebow signs with the Patriots for two years and no guaranteed money. Bill Belichick says he doesn't know what Tebow's role will be. Of course that isn't accurate, Tebow's role is to take attention away from the rest of the team. Belicheck, the notoriously private coach, can now focus on the things he wants his team to accomplish. Meanwhile the press will continue to follow Tebow around waiting for his pearls of wisdom.

I would be surprised if Tebow actually makes the Patriots and even if he does, he'll play very little. Thanks to Belicheck and Robert Kraft, the Patriots remain one of the NFL's best run teams.

- The NBA Finals, yawn. Again of all the choices of what was on TV last night, I chose both MLB Network and "Longmire" over the NBA Finals. Once the Heat defeated the Pacers, for some reason I lost interest in the rest of the season. I still would have watched those two things even if the game had been close. For some reason, I just don't care. I still hopes Miami wins.

- Speaking of the Spurs, I wish the Cowboys would fly over to San Antonio and shadow the Spurs for a few days. Although I'm not a Spurs fan, in fact I'm tired of them, there's no doubt they are one of the best run teams in all of professional sports. The Cowboys need to start emulating the Spurs asap. San Antonio has a superior owner, coach and quarterback (Tony Parker). One thing I like about the Spurs is the class they exude. Nearly everything they do has a tremendous amount of professionalism, which is probably the first thing they need to teach the Cowboys.

Speaking of the Cowboys: I'm most definitely not a fan of Jerry Jones, his head coach/ puppet Jason Garret or their wildly over rated quarterback Tony Romo. Although I realize that neither Garrett or Romo will ever be judged fairly with Jones as owner. Jones makes most, if not all, of the decisions for the Cowboys. Since he has little idea of what he's doing, he overemphasizes the wrong things. For instance, he's fallen in love with skill players more than the more important players who man the trenches. He also has stuck with Tony Romo way too long, plus any other number of poor decisions.

Music:

A few other songs I'm digging right now:

Blue Sky Riders "Dream":



New Found Glory should stick to covering past hits, they do a great job with those songs. Their own original music isn't very good. I love their cover of Lisa Loeb's "Stay (I Missed You)":



Also who knew that there would be great songs from "The Great Gatsby"? Fergie's "A Little Party Never Killed Nobody (All We Got)":



And how can you not like this Fall Out Boy song? "My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light Em Up)":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites