Friday, April 10, 2015

themusicaddict's Great Cover Songs

Hello,

These are some of my favorite cover songs. For some reason I've had troubles coming up with a lot of great cover songs, even though I know there are a lot out there. I'll be writing this blog as I remember and discover great covers. I also took some from the New York Post's Top 100 covers, which comes via stereogum.com. Thanks to them.

I'd like to start off with the Tommy James and the Shondells first, they have had a lot of songs that were covered. Those covers led to a lot of great songs by other musicians. Here's a selection below:


Billy Idol's "Mony Mony":


Honestly would Tiffany have had a career without this song? Tiffany's "I Think We're Alone Now":


Next up is Camper Van Beethoven's cover of the Status Quo song "Pictures of Matchstick Men":


Tom Jones surprisingly funky cover on Prince's "Kiss":


Eric Clapton's cover of his own "Layla", I so much prefer the acoustic version of this song:


The Bangles much improved cover of Simon and Garfunkel's "Hazy Shade of Winter":


Gun N' Roses rocking cover of the rocking Wings classic "Live and Let Die":

  
and of course G N' R's cover, and long time concert staple, of Bob Dylan's "Knockin' On Heaven's Door":


Sheryl Crow's cover of the Cat Stevens classic "The First Cut Is The Deepest":



This is kind of cool Elton John and Axl Rose's cover (yes, you read that right) of Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody":



I stole these from The New York Post/stereogum.com Top 100 Covers of All-Time:

Alien Ant Farm's "Smooth Criminal":



t.A.T.u.'s cover of The Smiths "How Soon Is Now":



Run-D.M.C. and Aerosmith's cover of Aerosmith's "Walk This Way":



The Clash's cover of Bobby Fuller's "I Fought The Law":



Green Day's "I Fought The Law":



Atari's cover of Don Henley's "Boys of Summer":



Pearl Jam's amazing cover of Lucinda Williams "Crazy Mary":



Tina and Ike Turner's cover of CCR's "Proud Mary":



Bananarama's cover of Shocking Blue's "Venus":



U2's cover of The Beatles "Helter Skelter":


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites