Tuesday, March 29, 2016

themusicaddict's Top 106 80's Bands Part 11: # 86 Neil Diamond (Finished July 26th, 2016)

Hello,

Before starting on this project I didn't consider Neil Diamond to really be an 80's musician, but he had some of this biggest hits and best songs in the 80s. For Diamond, the 80s featured "The Jazz Singer" and all the hits on that, "Heartlight" and "Yesterday's Songs". It also featured the overlooked, but very solid, "The Best Years Of Our Lives". This is only a partial blog and I'll be adding a lot of other videos later, but for now I'm going to be highlighting Diamond's unjustifiably forgotten "The Best Years Of Our Lives" CD.

I don't even remember this CD or any songs from it, but I quite like this CD. How did I miss this CD? That's one thing I've loved about this whole 80's musicians countdown blog is discovering all this great music I missed the first time through. The man knows how to write a ballad.

With this CD you could tell that Neil had been listening to the radio. Diamond rocked up his sound and did I hear synthesizer on a couple of tracks and many other 80s flourishes. Did I hear a guitar solo on the title song? Here's the entire CD:


"The Best Years of Our Lives":


"This Time":


"Everything's Gonna Be Fine":


"Hooked On The Memory of You":



"Take Care of Me" (This song actually rocks!):



"Carmelita's Eyes":



"Courtin' Disaster":



"If I Couldn't See You Again":


This CD also features his version of Tracy Chapman's "Baby Can I Hold You"- which he does a perfectly good version of. However his version is nowhere as good as Chapman's classic. I've decided not to add it here though.

Other 80's highlights:
"Heartlight":


"I'm Alive":


"Yesterday's Songs":



"Only You":



"Be Mine Tonight":


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites