Saturday, December 1, 2018

(Started December 1st, 2018) themusicaddict's Top 106 Greatest 80's Era Band #16 Chicago, Part 2: Chicago's Comeback

Hello,

I'm finally getting around to resuming my Greatest 80's Era Bands. Before I took a hiatus from this blog series my last 80's Era Countdown blog was published on June 6th. The topic of that blog was Chicago's best non-80's era songs. I also wrote up three 80's Era Countdown blogs for Night Ranger. Those subjects respectively were "The Best Songs of 'Dawn Patrol'", a concert preview of their June 30th show (which was amazing) and their best non-80's era songs. The last one of those blogs was published July 1st of this year.

Anyway I got a wild hair to resume these blogs, I continued listening to their 10 80's era cds. I have listened to the first three CDs. Tonight I listened to 1980's "XIV" and their near classic CD "Chicago 16".

Chicago's first 4 CDs honestly aren't very good, 1977's "Chicago XI"  to "Chicago XIV". If you were a pop music fan in 1980 and thought Chicago's career was over, I wouldn't have blamed you. "Chicago XIV" is a very average CD. The best song on the whole CD is the little known "Hold On". The only classic songs they had over those four CDs were "Baby, What A Big Surprise", "Take Me Back To Chicago", "Alive Again" and "Gone Long Gone".

Thankfully for them "Chicago 16" was a comeback CD, from the opening notes of the first track it would seem one would get the feeling that Chicago was back. This CD isn't the greatest CD ever, I'm not saying that, but what it is is a CD by a band moving forward again. Chicago continued their momentum on "17", a CD that has four classic songs on it. That's as many classic songs as they had on their first four CDs in the 80's era. Obviously the two best songs on this CD are "Hard To Say I'm Sorry" and "Love Me Tomorrow". But all the songs on this CD would be good listening for many hundreds of listens.

I will publish this blog and then continue to listen to the 5 CDS  that are left to be considered for their countdown blogs and then post those.

This song has that classic Chicago sound on it. 1) "What You're Missing":


2) "Waiting For You To Decide":


3) "Bad Advice":


4) "Chains":


5) "Hard To Say I'm Sorry/Get Away":


6) "Follow Me":



7) "Sonny Think Twice":
8) "What Can I Say":
9) "Rescue You":
10) "Love Me Tomorrow":




themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites