Saturday, June 8, 2019

(Finished June 8, 2019) Which Year Did It Better? 1989 vs. 2019, Part 1: Songs #10 to #6

Hello,

This is a comparison of the Top Ten songs of the early October, 1989 Billboard charts vs. June 8th, 2019. To be honest, or as the kids would write tbh, I'd probably choose the song from 1989 over 2019 every time. Other than "Sunflower" I haven't even heard any of the songs on the 2019 fan. Other than Ed Sheeran I'm not a big fan, or have even heard of, many of those from 2019. Hold on tight let's see which year did it better.

I just had this song on my blog as part of "That One Song...That One Band" part 6. 
Released before YouTube even existed and the internet was in it's infancy, this video barely has 1,000,000 views. 1989's #10 Expose "When I Looked At Him":


I do like this song, although it is very repetitive. 339,000,000 views is very impressive.
 2019's #10 Ava Max "Sweet But Psycho":


Winner: the sexy, sultry Expose ballad from 1989, although it was closer than I thought it would have been. The sax solo is a nice touch for "When I Looked At Him". Ava Max definitely wins the cleavage game, but is that a game you want to win?
One of the 80s most fun songs is 1989's #9 Young MC "Bust A Move":



Let's start off with the good, he's wearing a Dodgers hat. That's a sign of some taste. Fortunately this is the clean version, which means there's an even more mindless dirty version. Like most hip hop/rag songs this sounds like so many other other hip hop/rap songs. I could barely listen to the full version of this yet another repetitive song. 2019's #9 DaBaby "Suge":



Winner: it's not even close, Young MC wins in a wipeout. 

I love a song that starts off with old school funk. Honestly I don't remember this song from back in the day, but it's a stone cold jam. 1989's #8 Babyface "It's No Crime":



tbh I'm not sure why Sam Smith gets so much love, I'm not a fan at all. However I don't hate this song, in fact I might even like it. But it pales in comparions to Babyface's old school funk. I do love Normani's voice and her harmonies with Smith are intoxicating.

2019's #8 Sam Smith and Normani's "Dancing With A Stranger":



Winner: Babyface, that's 3 for 3 for the songs from the 80s. Although "Stranger" was a much better song than the previous 2019 song.

One of Aerosmith's more brain dead offerings and that's saying something. That being said the tune grabs you by the shirt, which makes this a great song. But who would call Steven Tyler Mr. Tyler? 1989's #7 Aerosmith "Love In An Elevator":



Face tattoos one of the more regrettable trends currently. Especially when below his eyes it says "always tired". It's not the worst song ever, but will you remember this song in a year? I know I won't. 2019's #7 Postmalone "Wow.":


Winner: Aerosmith and this one wasn't much of a competition and "Elevator" isn't even one of Aerosmith's twenty best songs. The most wow thing about the Post Malone song is the title.

NKOTB just invaded Salt Lake a couple of nights ago, the reviews were off the charts from my fellow old people. An incredibly cheesy video and it makes me laugh the singer grew up to be Danny Reagan on "Blue Bloods". This song gives a chance to the song from 2019 to get a win.
1989's #6 New Kids On The Block "Cover Girl":



2019's #6 Post Malone and Swae Lee "Sunflower":



Winner: Sometimes a band becomes so hot that any song they sing quickly rise up the charts, which is what happened with the very mediocre "Cover Girl". Meanwhile the Post Malone song is just a great great song. The song from 2019 wins easily here.

The 80s lead 4-1 after the first five songs.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites