Saturday, October 23, 2021

(Finished October 23rd, 2021) My Commentary on Rolling Stone's Greatest Songs of All-Time

Hello,

Another Greatest Songs of All-Time issued from on high by Rolling Stone magazine. I love that magazine and I've been a subscriber since approximately the early 80s. I get that a lot of people have different taste in music- which is great- but as this is all opinion I don't agree with everyone of their choices. But just as fervently I agree with some of their choices. Currently I'm working on my Top 100 Songs of All-Time and honorable mentions. I will publish that eventually, but it's still in progress. The Top 100 I post constantly be changing as I always think of different songs. 

Rolling Stone's Top 20 Greatest Songs of All Time and selected commentary.

I can completely agree with this song choice, also it was #1 around my date of birth. I don't know if there's such a thing as a perfect song. But if this isn't a perfect song it's damn close. 1) Aretha Franklin "Respect":

I think this is a great song and I love it. However is it the #2 song of all-time? No, not even close. 2) Public Enemy "Fight The Power":

I love the sentiment of this song, but as for the song I've not been a big fan. I actually think that the Greta Van Fleet version is the best song of all-time. 3) Sam Cooke "A Change Is Gonna Come":

One of the most overrated songs ever by one of the most overrated musicians ever. 4) Bob Dylan "Like A Rolling Stone":

An amazing song by an overhyped band. If it wasn't for this song and Cobain dying at a young age this band would not be such an overhyped band. I'm not sure they would even be remembered much at all. But this song is four and a half minutes of magic. No doubt about it. 5) Nirvana "Smells Like Teen Spirit":

If any Marvin Gaye song is at #6 it should be the amazing "Let's Get It On" or perhaps "Ain't No Mountain High Enough". Again a great song, but not the sixth best song of all-time. 6) Marvin Gaye "What's Going On";

Don't even get me started on how wrong this is. 7) The Beatles "Strawberry Fields Forever":

Not even in the top million songs of all-time. 8) Missy Elliott "Get Ur Freak On":


Stevie Nicks, do I need to say anything else at all? A great, great song. Is it the #9 song of all-time or even the best Fleetwood Mac song. No and no, but it's still an amazing song. 9) Fleetwood Mac "Dreams":


One of the most addicting dance songs that just gets in your head and stays there. Is this the tenth greatest song ever? I don't know, but it could be. 10) Outkast "Hey Ya":


Just one of many amazing Beach Boys songs, Brian Wilson is a genius- sorry thin skinned Mike Love. 11) The Beach Boys "God Only Knows":


A great song, but not even the best Stevie Wonder song. 12) Stevie Wonder "Superstition":
This is how to make a great song. 13) The Rolling Stones "Gimme Shelter":


A decent song, but ranked undeservedly high. I don't even think this is one of the Top 5 best Kinks songs. 14) The Kinks "Waterloo Sunset":
This is a much more better song than "Strawberry Fields Forever". 15) The Beatles "I Want To Hold Your Hand":

The second best version of this song. Beyonce is one of those musicians I've never figured out why people love them so much. 16) Beyonce "Crazy In Love":
Just a great great song, it should probably be in the Top Ten. 17) Queen "Bohemian Rhapsody":


A magical magician and a great guitarist with a superb song. From one of the all-time greatest CDs ever. 18) Prince "Purple Rain":
Combination of a great song and a great message. Is it really #19 of all-time, no. 19) John Lennon "Imagine":
One of those songs that's so much loved, but I just have never understood why. A very average song and nowhere close to the top 200,000 songs of all-time. 20) Robyn "Dancing On My Own":

Stay tuned for the real rankings, at least according to me.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites