Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Day 1 of Season 8 "American Idol"


Hello,

I am 41 years old but I still love "American Idol". I am only a little embarrassed. First things first I watched last night's episode this afternoon due to a job. If you are not watching this show using the DVR, you are crazy. I was able to cut about 40 minutes of fluff from the show. Generally about half of the show is worth watching.

Here goes: First of all I apologize in advance to anyone whose name I misspell. Last night's episode was from Phoenix. There were some very high highs and some very low lows. 27 people from the Phoenix tryout are "going to Hollywood dawg". Not all these people are from Phoenix though. In this bunch there seems to be another David Archuletta wanna be. The only thing worse than that is the William Hung wannabe that was in the same episode. Here is a quick review of last night's show.

First of all there was 14 minutes of fluff to start the show. Unlike "Idol" I am going to skip the fluff. Also mainly I am going to comment on the contestants I liked. I will call out someone who is terrible though. The second singer in this episode was Emily Hughes, she sang Heart's "Barracuda". From what I have heard she is one of the several "American Idol" plants. Also unconfirmed rumors has her cut in Hollywood. She does have a great voice, singing that very difficult song. I won't even talk about Randy "Cry, Cry, Cry" Madden. Next was JB Anfua who was terrible and sucked and has got to go home. Unfortunately we will have to suffer through him in Hollywood. Is he this season's David Archuleta? If so, let's eliminate him now.

Next was Michael Gurr, making the run as this season's William Hung. Do you see how big of a show "AI" is, it made such lame people as William Hung and David Archuleta famous. Then a bunch of terrible auditions were shown. I can't believe some of these people haven't been told along the way that they can't sing. I was told early and often that I have no singing ability, so I have had no illusions for a long time now.

Next was Aundrae "X-Ray" Carroway. He was entertaining, just not the way he wants to be. After a bunch of blah singers we were fortunate to close out Day One, at least the way it was edited, with Arianna Afsar. She sang a song from a singer that has already faded away. She sang "Put Your Records On". She did a very good job. I really like her, she is awesome. She is a good singer with a great spunk. I really liked how she goes and performs at a senior home. Arianna I'll be cheering for you.

Day 2 highlights: First we had Elijah Scarlett up, he is the one with a very deep voice and he is a cashier. (That is currently what I am doing in my non-real job, a cashier. Cashiers of the world unite. Unfortunately for him he is returning to the cashier ranks.) He has a really cool voice but he can't sing. Leah Marie Golde followed with her take on Cascada's "Every Time We Touch". I will be honest this is a song I have never heard of before. I really liked this song, not so much Leah's performance, I went to iTunes and bought it. Please Leah when the judges say "no" they mean it. Just keep your dignity and go quietly into that good night. Next were two people who I really liked Stevie Wright, who is named after Stevie Nicks. Then there was Michael Sarver who I really, really like. He is a roughnecker and as he told us twice that is the fifth most dangerous job in the world. Right now I am naming him as an early front runner. Good luck to you Michael, I hope you go far.

Then it's Katrina Dorrel, the bikini girl, she does have a hot body. She sang a lot better than I thought she would when I saw the promo. Don't worry from what I hear she washes out in Hollywood. The voting for her was 2-2, Simon is the tiebreaker and that is how she got through to Hollywood. We then had "Sexual Chocolate", I think sexual boredom would be a better nickname. Then another one of my favorite contestants, although she might not be the best singer: Brianna Quijado. I did not think she was going to make it through, another 2-2 vote. Simon got her through to Hollywood.

Following was Deanna Brown, who came out with two barrels firing. One, she picked one of the best songs of all-time and two, she is a great singer. I loved her version of the Otis Redding classic "(Sittin' On) The Dock of The Bay". She was really, really good and was one of the three or four better singers shown from the Phoenix auditions. Next was the make up wearing Cody Sheldon who has his own crying girl. I don't think he is going to last long.

Next was one of the whitest people in the world, besides myself, who sang a very good version of James Ingram's "Baby Come To Me". Randy Jackson didn't sing the chorus as requested though. We should probably be grateful for that. That singer being Alex Wagner-Trugman. I think the other three judges voted him through just to piss off Simon.

The show then closed out with someone I have a lot of admiration for, Scott MacIntyre. He made it through to Hollywood. Even if he does not go on to be the next "American Idol", he already is a winner. Going to college at age 14, skiing and he plays the piano very well. He has accomplished more already than most people will ever well. I also loved his version of Billy Joel's "And So It Goes." Another contestant I will be cheering for.

Finally, I like the new judge Kara DioGuardia. Not only is she a babe but she brings some sass to what can be a rather routine show with little personality. Paula was okay last night but Randy Jackson must go. What does he bring to the show? Original thought- no. Personality- no. Anything worthwhile- no. Singing with the contestants- thankfully no.

Remember tonight is the second part of the two part season premiere. Tonight auditions are from Kansas City. themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites