Monday, April 4, 2011

AMC Does It Again, I Know Who Commited "The Killing"

Hello,

Welcome to blog 799 of themusicaddict. When I started this, I didn't know how long it would last. However it has taken on a life of it's own and it's something that I enjoy. I still hope one day for it to turn into my job, although that's a long shot. I'm not complaining because I have a pretty great job right now. In fact, tomorrow is my 1 year anniversary working for Ambassador Bookstores. Thanks Ambassador!

One of the things I've written about the most on this blog is the amazing quality of AMC shows. Of course first comes the daddy of AMC shows with "Mad Men". This show stars the great Jon Hamm and the absolutely stunning January Jones. (Thanks everyone involved with this show for finally getting everything organized so that there will be a fifth season. But where will I get my quality TV programming this summer from?)

Next up is "Breaking Bad", a show that has also earned a great reputation. A show that I haven't watched yet due to the meth dealing content. Although AMC is replaying "Breaking Bad" from the first episode starting sometime this week. I may have to catch a few episodes. Next up was the cancelled "Rubicon". A show that many people thought moved too slow, but I thought was just right. A slowly but steadily building thriller that gave up it's secrets grudgingly. I'm still very disappointed that this show was cancelled.

Now AMC has struck gold again, last night the first two episodes of "The Killing" were shown. You may have seen the ads "Who Killed Rosie Larsen"? That was for this amazing show. Honestly "The Killing" reminds me of a lot of "Rubicon" in that both are slow building thrillers. Last night's first two episodes were well plotted and extremely well acted. From the opening scene I was immediately sucked into the story. I love the acting of Mireille Enos, who portrays detective Sarah Linden. In this wet, dreary TV show she plays the detective with a matching mood. There's not a lot of excitement or affect for her. It seems she's been beaten down by life and has more than a few qualms about getting married. I don't think she has admitted that to herself or her fiance yet. She doesn't fight very hard staying in Seattle and I don't think she'll ever make it to LA. She's also intrigued by this case and wants to solve it. In an ironic twist, this murder is a lifeline to her to continue to think about and discover what she wants.

At first I was annoyed by the detective taking over the case, Stephen Holder (Joel Kinnaman). But over the first two episodes I've become use to his methods. He essentially is playing the bad cop of the good cop/bad cop dynamic. Except for that he plays the bad cop on steroids. I loved how he shared marijuana with the two high school kids and wanted to "party". In a move that Linden wouldn't have done, he was able to make the grisly discovery of the cage.

So far the political angle has been relatively mild. I honestly think this story line is meant to distract us from the main story. I do like that Darren Richmond has so far been above using this case to advance his political cause. But how long will that last? Does he have something to hide, it seems the impression that he does changes almost from scene to scene. I think Rosie Larson's body being found in one of his campaign cars again is incidental to the main story. Another story line meant to distract us is the story of Jasper Ames. He may be a stupid, selfish wretch but he didn't kill Rosie. Practically he's too obvious to be the killer.

Who do I think killed Rosie, I think she was killed by her own dad Stanley Larsen. He had that very dramatic grieving scene when he discovered that the police had found her body. In my opinion both the acter Brent Sexton was acting, as well as his character Stanley Larsen. I had that feeling from almost the start of the first episode that he was the killer. I also thought it was way more than coincidental he happened to be driving out where her body was found. There's the old adage about the killer returning to the crime.

Now the writers and producers will be throwing story lines at us trying to lead us away from who the real killer or killers are. As with any modern day detective show, it's never the first suspect that ends up being the killer. So whoever that is, cross him or her off the list. Jasper Ames may be that person.

As the father of 4 kids I can really relate with Stanley Larsen at the pain and grief that would come from losing a kid, if indeed he didn't kill Rosie. I have no idea what the pain would be like, but I realize it would be excruciating. Also what happened in the cage? How horrific as a parent would it be to find that might be the place where your child was killed. Seeing the cage was such a great scene. It just opens up many more places where this story could go. That scene was stark and simple. Just a mattress with blood all over the place including a bloody hand print. Whatever happened there was grisly, in all likelihood this is where the murder took place.

The main thing I like about this show is how the details slowly are coming out. I love that because it's giving me plenty of time to think and discover things on my own. There are 11 more weeks to follow this story and many more surprises are sure to come. If you aren't watching this, start watching it now. With so much crap on TV, this show is truly well worth your time.

Bravo to all the people behind this exquisate show.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites