Friday, April 29, 2011

Lauryn Hill's "(Doo Wop) That Thing" Is One of the Best Songs Ever, Moving Forward, "American Idol"

Hello,

For those of you coming to this blog to get my take on this last week's train wreck episode of "American Idol" it's coming. This weekend started out with me having nothing going on, but all of a sudden I have several things to do. See below. I'll be getting to that blog soon. Quick impressions of this last week. Randy Jackson wins this last week's d bag award. What the hell was he doing on Wednesday night? He was trying to be the show. Sorry Barnacle but no one watches the show to see you. You are the most irrelevant of the three irrelevant judges. I didn't appreciate him usurping the spotlight. It was more about him than James when Randy went and hugged him.

I miss when the judges actually had opinions and said them. I miss Simon Cowell so much, it would be good to hear him say what he really thought. Randy likes to say he's keeping it real, but Simon really did. This season the judges are just the producers mouth pieces. TPTB have muzzled the judges. I especially hate their over praising, hying and Jackson's constant use of "in it to win it". Also will someone please wake up Steven Tyler?

I hated the results format this week, there wasn't a bottom 3. The results were allegedly "random". In other words the artificial shenanigans of the TPTB continued. Nothing is random on "Idol", everything is choreographed to death. McDreary probably had the most votes by far, but they pretended that he might be going home. I would have been perfectly happy with him going home. Somehow the cockroach lived to fight another day. I chuckled to myself when Lusk was saying he could sing all the parts. When are you going to show that Jacob? When I hear him sing I hear a weak voice and his appearance is ghastly. He's preachy, arrogant and can't sing or dance etc. Relatively my blog is blowing up by people finding my blog using "jacoblusksucks". How does he keep on surviving each week? I just don't get it.

Casey went home, that didn't break my heart any. I was getting bored by his performances. That song he sang last week was atrocious. At first I really liked him and I thought the judges saving him was the right thing to do. But the more I saw of him, the more I question that. Especially when Pia Toscano was voted off, I realized how bad saving him was. He hasn't done anything since then to justify that early in the season save. I like that Casey thinks outside the box and gave love to Oscar Peterson. I'll be honest with you I have no idea who that is. But I know Randy Jackson doesn't know who that is either, until he googled him later. That reminded me I hate how much of a name dropper Randy Jackson is.

It looks like it's going to be a Scotty-James bad sing off. That could be the most boring finale of all-time. Hopefully they'll have some great singers to save the night. Because at that point who cares who wins.

Seriously is this not one of the greatest songs ever? I love Lauryn Hill and I love everything about this song. I love the music, the lyrics and the message. Here's the song:



Here's the video:



Here's the lyrics (thanks to elyrics.net):

Doo Wop (That Thing) lyrics
It's been three weeks since you've been looking for your friend
The one you let hit it and never called you again
'Member when he told you he was 'bout the Benjamins
You act like you ain't hear him then gave him a little trim
To begin, how you think you really gon' pretend
Like you wasn't down then you called him again
Plus when you give it up so easy you ain't even fooling him
If you did it then, then you probably f*** again
Talking out your neck sayin' you're a Christian
A Muslim sleeping with the gin
Now that was the sin that did Jezebel in
Who you gon' tell when the repercussions spin
Showing off your ass 'cause you're thinking it's a trend
Girlfriend, let me break it down for you again
You know I only say it 'cause I'm truly genuine
Don't be a hardrock when you're really a gem
Babygirl, respect is just a minimum
Niggas f***ed up and you still defending them
Now Lauryn is only human
Don't think I haven't been through the same predicament
Let it sit inside your head like a million women in Philly, Penn.
It's silly when girls sell their soul because it's in
Look at where you be in hair weaves like Europeans
Fake nails done by Koreans
(From: http://www.elyrics.net/read/l/lauryn-hill-lyrics/doo-wop-(That-thing)-lyrics.html)
Come again
Come again, come again, come again, come again

Guys you know you better watch out
Some girls, some girls are only about
That thing, that thing, that thing

The second verse is dedicated to the men
More concerned with his rims and his Timbs than his women
Him and his men come in the club like hooligans
Don't care who they offend popping yang like you got yen
Let's not pretend, they wanna pack pistol by they waist men
Cristal by the case men, still in they mother's basement
The pretty face, men claiming that they did a bid men
Need to take care of their three and four kids men
They facing a court case when the child's support late
Money taking, heart breaking now you wonder why women hate men
The sneaky silent men the punk domestic violence men
The quick to shoot the s***n stop acting like boys and be men
How you gon' win when you ain't right within
How you gon' win when you ain't right within
How you gon' win when you ain't right within
Come again
Come again, come again, come again, come again

Girls you know you better watch out
Some guys, some guys are only about
That thing, that thing, that thing

This song only has 9 listens on my iTunes, but it's been receiving serious play on my car's CD player. I just listen to it over and over again. That in spite there are so many other great songs on that CD. Seriously if you know a guy or a girl like above, stay far away.

With my one year divorce anniversary racing towards me, my life slowly keeps on moving forward. With about 3 weeks from that anniversary date my dating life is picking up a bit. I have a date tonight, just an informal thing. Then some of my single buddies and I are going bowling tonight afterwards. So it should be a nice night. Then tomorrow I'm going to see "Sunset Boulevard" with my Mom. I've been checking out the music the last day or so. It's not Andrew Lloyd Webber's strongest score but it isn't terrible either. Also I don't have my kids this weekend, but I'm going to go hang out with them Monday night.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites