Monday, April 11, 2011

Pia Toscano will be the real winner of this season of "AI", Top 10 seasons of "AI" ranked

Hello,

There have been several developments since Pia Toscano's shocking dismissal last Thursday from the faltering "American Idol" franchise. First of all Jimmy Iovine's Interscope label is in the works of signing Pia to a record contract. Jimmy Iovine seems to be lame as a producer, but even he recognizes talent. Apparently they are going to get Pia in the studio and rush release a CD. She has already been working on that CD! If they can get it done quick enough I think they should release the CD around the end of this weak season of "American Idol".

"The American Idol judges may have been shocked that Pia Toscano was sent home last week, but Idol EP Nigel Lythgoe wasn’t. “I know the [voting] results, so I know she was never a frontrunner,” Lythgoe revealed." (thanks to ew.com)

I love this comment, Lythgoe continues the "AI" air of arrogance. Everything about this comment makes me sick. First of all in corporate America's constant talking of transparency, what they really mean is they want you the employee to be transparent. The senior management aren't expected to follow this. It goes the same for public transparency. Why doesn't "AI" announce what the voting results are? What do they have to hide? If they could make money from the voting, they would announce the results. In fact, they are probably making money some way from not revealing each contestants votes. Money is corporate America's sole driving force.

I love how Lythgoe is trying to come off as an expert about how he knows the voting results, of course you do Nigel. After all you are the executive producer.

Why do I keep on watching this show, I have no idea. I heard someone say yesterday that he thinks this season is the most talented of all 10 seasons. If that's true this show has been living on hype for a long time. Looking back over the last several seasons, each year has only produced one or two great contestants. Usually the one who went on to be the most successful didn't even win, a trend that has already continued this year.

Anyway I took a few minutes to do a little research. I know this is a little premature but here's my Top Ten for the seasons. This is based on how well they did on the show and my opinion of each season's pure talent. Feel free to argue if you would like.

10) Season 2 was probably the weakest from what I can tell. When your winner is Ruben Studdard, that says a lot about the weakness of that season. Clay Aiken was the runner up. I think the two most talented contestants that season were Kimberly Locke and Joshua Gracin. Gracin has probably sold the most records maybe?

9) Season 4 had an amazing winner in Carrie Underwood. But other than her, there wasn't a lot of depth that season. Bo Bice and Constatine Maroulis are probably the next two most successful. Maroulis was on the show earlier this season. I didn't have to see that, but he was terrible from what I hear.

8) Season 9 was a complete train wreck. When Lee Dewyze is your winner, you know that wasn't a real great season. The year before Kris Allen was the lowest selling winner of their debut CD following winning "American Idol". That was until Dewyze released his debut CD. Will that drop continue? I think it might. Crystal Bowersox is probably the most talented from Season 9, but she released an uneven debut CD. She might be too independent to succeed using someone else's methods. That's a compliment by the way. I also liked Casey James and Siobhan Magnus from this season.

7) Season 10 has been a less than inspiring season so far. Pia Toscano is clearly the standout by far. The "winner" is going to be anticlimactic now. Who's the next most talented person this season? Beats me? Besides Pia, who I think will absolutely explode, but of course that all depends on if she gets the right people to work with. Other than that who's going to have lasting success? Honestly I don't see any of these having any lasting success.

6) Season 7 was highlighted by David Cook, who is one of my favorites ever. I think his debut CD was pretty amazing. Let's not even mention the dumped from his record label David Archuleta. I think the next most talented person from that season was Carly Smithson. I loved her big booming voice. If she got with the right band, she could be a Hayley Williams.

5) Season 1 perhaps had the best ever of Idols in the amazing Kelly Clarkson. The woman has a winning personality and that amazing voice. She also has had several great song and big hits. And no those two things don't always go together. Season 1 is so high on my list mainly because of Clarkson. I also did like Tamrya Gray's debut CD, she also has a great big voice.

4) Season 6 was won by Jordin Sparks. As for talent I really like Melinda Doolittle and Likisha Jones. Chris Sligh has co written a big hit for Rascal Flatts, that counts for something. Season 6 is so high in spite of train wrecks such as Sanjaya, Haley Scarnato and talentless Chris Richardson.

3) Season 3 was a fairly strong season. I've never got the appeal of Fantasia Barrino. She recently appeared on this season of "AI" and I thought she was horrendous. This season is powered by 7th place finisher Jennifer Hudson. Not only an amazing and powerful voice, but she's a fairly big movie star as well. She deservedly won an Oscar, in likelihood the only Idol to win an Oscar. How did she lose out to such lightweights as John Stevens and George Huff?

2) I'm surprised Season 8 is so high on this list. Again not a very exciting winner in Kris Allen, who quickly is disappearing into obscurity. Adam Lambert is on his tail but not as quickly fading into obscurity. For me Season 8 talent wise was provided by the 4th, 9th and 11th place finishers. Allison Iraheta had such an amazing voice, unfortunately her sales hasn't caught up to her talent. Megan Joy, one of the most gorgeous Idols ever, plus she also has an amazing voice. Like Bowersox she chose to follow her own path, that's not a good tactic on the follower mentality of "American Idol". I also loved Alexis Grace. The attractive mother with the huge voice finished in 11th. One of the most horrendous early dismissals in "AI's" history.

1) Season 5 is I think the best season, in spite of Taylor Hicks winning. Katherine McPhee finished second and has released a couple of solid CDs. I hear you rolling your eyes, but check out "Unbroken". That CD features many great songs. However obviously the highlight of Season 5 was the humongous selling Daughtry. Many great songs and the go to man for songs about relationships ending. I'm not a big Kellie Pickler fan but she also has had some success. It's good she came on this show or she would still be working at Sonic.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites