Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Kurt Cobain, "No Ordinary Family"

Hello,

17 years ago yesterday Kurt Cobain committed suicide, I'd like to write about his lasting impact. However no matter what the music "experts" say there isn't any. The man is unjustly considered a genius. Sure Nirvana had some good songs, besides "Smells Like Teen Spirit", how many can you name? Yeah that's what I thought. I tried the same test with myself and only came up with 3 titles. I can name many more titles of songs by Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and for heck's sake Stone Temple Pilots. Someone please explain to me how he got this legendary reputation. He simply wasn't a genius, not even close. Other than "Smells Like Teen Spirit" their limited music catalog has been rightfully forgotten. If he didn't die he'd be playing small theatres as best now. Unless you're his friends or his family, it's time to let go.

Also "No Ordinary Family" had it's season finale last night. I haven't watched it for the last couple of months. Reading the review at ew.com today it seems I haven't missed a thing. I started out as a big fan and rushed home to see the show each week. Then about 7 or 8 episodes something started happening to what had been a great show. This show has all of these great characters. They are all bright, quirky and funny, an absolutely great cast. However the writers started burdening this great cast with insipid story lines. About the third or fourth episode of one of the characters doing something really stupid and then spending the rest of the show fixing the problem, I got tired of this show. Although it had lost momentum, that was compounded by the show going on hiatus. That killed any remaining interest I had in the show. The show jumped the shark in the middle of its first season! In this world where everything is so sped up, that's about right. ABC please just kill the show.

Under appreciated songs of the day. I think I've featured this song before, if I have please forgive me. As with several of the Fountains of Wayne songs below, this is just a perfect pop song. I just love this song by the under appreciated Rooney. "Daisy Duke":



I love, love this song. The band's name is Over The Rhine and the song is "Trouble". This song and the singer's voice are a perfect fit. In a world where Britney Spears videos receives millions of views, it annoys me this great song only has 13,807 views. Yes, actually I'm quite bitter about it. "Trouble":



Here's another perfect pop song, Fountains of Wayne's "Stacy's Mom". This song is just one of the many amazing songs off their CD "Welcome Interstate Managers".



From the same CD, "Bright Future In Sales":



I love the line, "I saw you talking to Christopher Walken on my TV screen." This is "Hackensack":



"No Better Place":



"Valley Winter Song":



"Little Red Light":



Here's a home made video for "Peace and Love":



"Bought For A Song":



themusicaddict

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You couldn't be more wrong about Kurt Cobain. Sure, you might be tired of his songs because Nirvana only put out a few albums before Courtney Love killed him, but he's had a lasting effect on the music world.

In the early 90s, he transformed the music scene. He's the reason that bands like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and (dare I say it) Stone Temple Pilots even exist. If it wasn't for Cobain, we'd still be listening to hair bands and wearing Levi jackets.

You might not like his music but you can't ignore the impact he's had on rock. Go to any city and turn it to the alternative music station. You won't make it 2 hours without hearing Nirvana... 17 years after his death and with only two commercially successful albums. You might not get it, but you can't deny it.

Favorites