Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Awesome Power of Mother Nature

Hello,

Mother Nature reminded many people of who really is in charge late last night and this morning. A big windstorm hit Davis County, Utah. This morning I woke up like normal to ride my exercise bike. It's an electric exercise bike. As I was about to start riding, Mother Nature had other ideas. The power went out at about 6:15 am and that cancelled my exercise idea. It was so dark that I couldn't do much, I laid on my bed for a hour waiting for the sun. While looking outside with the power off and a harsh wind it felt very apocalyptic. Yeah I know I've been watching "The Walking Dead" too much.

Once it got light enough I stumbled around the house. The power still hadn't come back on, and I got ready as best as I could. With no power and internet I actually went to work a hour early. As I drove to work I saw one semi overturned. On the side of the road other semi's were lined up back to back down a long stretch of 1-15. Many schools closed down and a lot of people didn't go to work today. It's pretty scary when wind gusts hit 89 mph. Many trees that have been standing for years have been pushed down. The basketball hoop in the driveway has been damaged and will probably have to be replaced. My Dad's poor dog was so scared last night he didn't know what to do. Up to 25,000 people lost their power. Just another reminder of the awesome power of Mother Nature.

As I listened to the wind try and force it's way to the house where I live two songs came to mind:

I didn't want to know the answer blowin in this wind, Mr. Bob Dylan:


Arcade Fire seem to be appropriate music for the feeling like it's the end of the world. This is their "Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)".


Here are some other great songs. First let's start with the Red Hot Chili Peppers:


The following song gives me goose bumps. I'm glad that Pearl Jam recorded this, but it was made for such a terrible movie. This is Pearl Jam's amazing cover of the Who classic:


Sheryl Crow's "Steve McQueen":


This is a song that someone recommended to me and I really like it. The band's name is Falling In Reverse. I'm always looking for the next big thing. However I don't think Falling In Reverse is going to be that. I think I've written about these guys before actually. Anyway their music is too derivative and I hate all the vulgarity. Enjoy this song at least:


I love Christmas music, so this blog will be featuring that over the next few weeks. As for someone that tries to be religious I believe Christmas is to celebrate the birth of Jesus. The giving and receiving of gifts is fine but Jesus is the reason for the season. This is a great Christmas song, one of the most poignant Christmas songs there is. The end of this song always gets me. As the song starts it gets you so hopeful and grateful for the holidays and then comes the end of the song.


Again I love Christmas. But this is a music blog and not a preaching blog. I will let these great songs speak for themselves. One of the best Christmas CDs that came out over the last couple of years is Michael Crawford's "A Christmas Album". One of my favorite songs on that CD is "A Strange Way To Save The World". Now the original Broadway Phantom sings this song great, his version isn't on youtube. But this version is almost as good, what a beautiful message.


Don't worry I won't fill my blog with these kind of Christmas songs. I love rock music and some of the best Christmas songs are by Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

This is your laugh of the day:


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites