Wednesday, December 21, 2011

January Bookclub selection, "1Q84", Go TCU and Derrick Rose gets a raise

Hello,

I know your dying to have an update on whether I watched the two part season finale of "Terra Nova" yet. I haven't watched it yet. Initially I was going to watch it out of a sense of duty as I had watched the first 11 episodes. My excitement level has gone up a bit because I've read good reviews about the finale. Last night instead I watched the newest episode of "Rizzoli and Isles". I love this show as it features the gorgeous Angie Harmon and since it has such a great sense-of-humor. This past weeks episode, "Don't Stop Dancing Girl" wasn't as good as usual. I look for "Rizzoli and Isles" to return to top form for next week's season finale. I love that some of my favorite shows are still having new episodes this time of year.

Today I have a more time than I did last night so I may watch "Terra Nova" tonight. Although tonight is also the Corporate Sponsor Poinsettia Bowl. It's 10-2 TCU vs. 8-4 La. Tech and I'll be cheering on the Horned Frogs. I don't think it will be a very good game. TCU should be playing in a BCS bowl not some anonymous bowl. I expect TCU to have the game in hand by half-time. Next season TCU is going to a BCS conference, I actually expect them to do about as well as they are doing now. Also tonight the Jazz have their second and last preseason game as they'll be playing Portland in a rematch. I expect a better game from the Jazz tonight than that first game they played Monday night. I'm predicting the rise of Derrick Favors, the next Jazz superstar. He's fun to watch play. I hated the Jazz losing Deron Williams, but the trade seems to be working out very well for the Jazz.

Also sources, not mine but ESPNs, say that Derrick Rose is close to signing a 5 year-$95 million dollar contract with the Chicago Bulls. Since I'm not a Bulls fan, I normally wouldn't mention this. However in this case I'm glad that Chicago has finally made him the highest paid player on their team. The defending MVP is by far the best player on that team. There's no way Carlos Loozer should be making more than Rose. I was hoping that the Bulls would use their amnesty provision on Carlos Boozer. It's amazing he hasn't gone on the injury list yet though.

I didn't announce a December themusicaddict book club selection. However I'm announcing January's book club selection now. I'm making the announcement now as the book is so long, 925 pages. The book is Haruki Murakami's "1Q84". I've read the first 20 plus pages so far and it's very intriguing. I'm not sure that I'll finish it though. At the library I have Stephen King's "11/22/63" on hold and I'm going to be able to pick it up soon. I read it's excerpt that was in Entertainment Weekly and I'm already sucked into King's latest book. For me his writing is feeling like going home again. He's a great author and I love his books. I also love that his books as are so long. It's a different world I can get lost in for several hundred pages. So far that seems to be the same with the Murakami book.

I'm wondering if I'm the only one that is getting sick of the glut of reality show singing competitions. I hear that "X Factor" is ending this week and talk is already beginning about Season 2. I haven't seen any of the first season of "X Factor". From what I've read it seems I haven't missed much. There's also "The Voice" which seem like it just ended. Now it's starting up again right after this year's Super Bowl. Then in mid-January "American Idol" is starting it's 11th season. I've pretty steadily watched that show the last several years. But as of now I'm undecided about whether I'll watch this season. "AI" brings back those 3 lame judges again. It always amazes me when a new season of "AI" starts and Randy Jackson still has a job. Also "AI" is very manipulative, which makes this alleged reality show even more artificial. Let's hope this is the last season of "American Idol".

I went through amazon.com's Top 100 MP3 CDs today to see if there was anything worth adding to my collection. Of course I check out everything first on Spotify. (Did I tell you yet that I love Spotify?) The first CD I listened to is Young the Giant's self-titled CD. amazon.com is selling this CD for only $2.99. I enjoyed this CD and it has a few good songs on it. Here are a couple of good songs from that CD:

This is "My Body":


"Apartment":


I enjoyed Young The Giant, but Laura Marling bored me to tears. I could only listen to a couple of her songs. Also a CD that has received a lot of love over the years is Neutral Milk Hotel's "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea". I don't understand the hype, I think this CD sucks. While checking out Spotify, I did stumble across the soundtrack for "Hot Tub Time Machine". I'm enjoying that now as it's hard to go wrong when a CD full of 80's classics.

From "Hot Tub Time Machine", one of my all-time favorite 80's songs. Echo and the Bunnymen's "Bring On The Dancing Horses". This song has that 80's feel to it. This is also on excellent "Pretty In Pink" CD.


Other great songs, including the original J. Lo:

Jennifer Love Hewitt's "Rock The Roll". This is a funky song. Even if you don't like song, enjoy the pictures. Jennifer you are forgiven for that awful "The Ghost Whisperer".


I love this song:


My favorite Trans Siberian Orchestra song, "Wizards In Winter":


The almost my favorite but not quite favorite Trans Siberian Orchestra song: "Queen of The Winter Night":


This is a song I heard on iTunes the other day and I liked it. A very funky and fun song:


There are a lot of songs about opening up your eyes. Tonic and Daughtry have songs with a similar title, but this is the best song. The band is 12 Stones:


Last but definitely not least is Jet's intensely funky "Are You Gonna Be My Girl":


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites