Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Hannah Storm again, Jake Heaps transfers as Cougar Nation yawns, 1 week to GN'R

Hello,

The lovely woman on the left is Hannah Storm. Sometimes she does ESPN's morning Sportscenter. My question is how are the men working with her and watching her on TV suppose to concentrate on sports when she's on the TV?

Here's an example of a sports story and let's see how well you can concentrate with that lovely picture on the left. To no one's surprise and to hardly anyone of Cougar Nation's sadness, BYU QB Jake Heaps announced he'll be transferring to another school. In reading about this yesterday, the consensus of Cougar Nation seems to be yawn. (It isn't like Simon and Garfunkel's ode to Joe Dimaggio. See below. Cougar nation isn't turning their lonely eyes to Heaps.) He'd have been a junior next year and wasn't going to play over Riley Nelson. Unless in the probable likelihood that Nelson gets injured again. But James Lark can hold a clipboard just as well as Heaps. Sarcasm alert: But sitting on the bench is nowhere to be for a quarterback that's going to win Heisman's and national championships.

When Nelson's eligibility would have expired, Heaps would have had only one more year of eligibility. In all likelihood he would have been the starter. But that's assuming he'd beat out that year's quarterbacks. But no one will ever know as Heaps has decided to leave.

I wonder where he'll transfer to. I'm sure he had an idea before he made that decision. At least I hope he does. I'm not real worried that he'll come back and haunt BYU after he sits out next year. But I honestly don't think he'll find a place that will be as good a fit for him. I wonder what school will take him as many schools already have quarterbacks in the pipeline. In all likelihood it won't be with an already great school. He'll probably be starting over yet again. From many reports he hasn't shown a lot of maturity or fortitude. He's someone that would really have benefitted from going on a LDS mission and the maturity that comes with that. As he's married it's too late now.

I can't say I'll miss you Jake, but good luck. Jake is no longer with the football team. Heaps won't be practicing with the team or playing in BYU's Bowl game. I don't know if that's a good idea for him or for BYU. But the lasting image of Jake Heaps for me will be at the BYU-Utah game. On BYU's first offensive possession the center snapped the ball poorly to Heaps. Heaps wasn't able to catch the ball and then he feebly tried to pick up the ball, which he wasn't successful at. Then he tried again to pick up the ball and badly missed it this time. Did you like how he flopped over the ball, he acted like he was afraid that he was about to be hit. He did that instead of jumping on the ball, the Utes landed on the ball and scored a touchdown. If Heaps had landed on the ball it would have been a safety and only two points. And from there the Ute's completely dominated BYU. (It pains me to write that, but it's the truth.)

Here's what I'm talking about:


How did you do concentrating on my Jake Heaps news with the gorgeous Hannah Storm looking at you? It was hard, wasn't it?

This is Simon and Garfunkel's ode to Joe Dimaggio:



My excitement level is going up, and not because of Hannah Storm, but one week from today is the Guns N' Roses concert in Salt Lake City. I'm sort of having mixed emotions. On one hand if they play as good as they can, it should be a kick ass performance. But on the other hand I'm wondering which Axl Rose will show up that night. If it's the surly, spoiled Axl Rose this might not be a great show. We have great seats so I'm cautiously optimistic.

This is "Paradise City" from two weeks ago with two of Guns N' Roses guitarists doing a guitar intro. Then at the 1:34 is the beginning of "Paradise City":


He sounds good, but not great, in the above video. Unfortunately at about the 6:30 the song goes into about a 2.5 minute jam. That's two long instrumental jams in one song, that worries me more than a little bit. Another of my concerns is that the music drowns out Axl's vocals. This video seems to bear that out somewhat. If I can't understand the words it's just unpleasant screaming. I hope the vocals /music mix is closer to the "Live '87-'93" CD.

On this song from the November 19th, 2011 Hartford, Conn. concert they sound exactly like the original GN'R.


This link is for Evan Schlansky's review for "American Songwriter" of GN'R in Nashville: http://www.americansongwriter.com/2011/12/guns-n-roses-ride-the-night-train-in-nashville/

I agree with Schlansky, Axl needs to cut out a lot of fat in the show. I'd be fine with a 2.5 hour show with a lot of fat cut out. I think I can live just fine without 9 "instrumental jams". Dumping a couple of "Chinese Democracy" songs I don't think will hurt anyone's feelings either. I also hope "Nightrain" sounds a lot better than on this night in Chicago.


The sound is a lot better two nights later, although the mix is still not great:


Let's see how Axl's voice sounded just two nights ago. This is the boys on "Sweet Child O' Mine":


Singing "Civil War" at the same concert. Axl's voice sounds a lot better on the more mellow songs. I also like that this song is played just as it is on the CD. A great song like this will only be watered down with unnecessary solos.


The setlist from the same December 4th, 2011 Nashville concert.
  1. (James Bond Theme)
  2. (Dead Boys cover) (Tommy Stinson on lead vocals, with Band Introductions)
  3. (First time played live since 1993)
  4. (Baba O' Riley)
  5. (Mi Amor)
  6. (Another Brick in the Wall Pt. II)
  7. (Goodbye Yellow Brick Road/Someone Saved My Life Tonight)
  8. (Pink Panther Theme)
  9. (AC/DC cover)
  10. (Bob Dylan cover)
  11. Encore:
  12. (AC/DC cover)

  13. themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites