Thursday, December 8, 2011

Pink Floyd, More Great Songs

Hello,

Dear ESPN where was the lovely Hannah Storm this morning? My normal morning exercise just wasn't the same without her. Then to compound it there was two dudes that were delivering the news. Don't worry I'll get over it.

This morning I read about Pink Floyd in the October 10th, 2011 Rolling Stone. The article was about the tension that was going on in the band during the making of "Dark Side of the Moon". It was pretty interesting, in fact I think a book about them would be pretty interesting. (Put that on my list of books that I will probably never get to.) Anyway after I read that article I went to Spotify to check out some of their music. Too bad that Spotify has so little Pink Floyd available. Spotify doesn't have the full CDs for "Dark Side of the Moon", "The Wall" or "The Division Bell". I already know the first two CD's are classics but I wanted to listen to "The Division Bell". I wanted to listen to their music and see what effect Roger Waters leaving had.

Fortunately I have a lot of Pink Floyd on iTunes, so I've been listening to that to get my Pink Floyd fix. I enjoyed both "Pulse" and "The Wall" this morning. Sometimes I forget how much great music they have.

I love Comcast On Demand, I especially love their free quality movies. Last night I watched the Robert Downey and Jamie Foxx movie "The Soloist" for free. It's a pretty good movie. I've never been a big fan of Jamie Foxx but he played the schizophrenic Nathaniel Ayers very well. I would definitely suggest it's a movie you should watch. The homeless situation it depicts is extremely sad. At the end of the movie it was quoted that 90,000 people are homeless in the greater LA area. In a city that size I'm skeptical the number of homeless is that small.

Okay now on to some great songs:

I love Tift Merritt's "Mixtape". Everytime it plays on my iPod I think to myself what a great song.


Here's the lyrics:

You, how did you get so wise?
I take the advice I find in your eyes.
Me, I’ve been waiting outside
Most of my life,
Oh like a rare b-side.

I’m just making you mixtapes with homemade covers.
Analog to show we’re lovers,
And here under the jacket folds inside,
I’ve taped my heart for you to find.

To find the perfect way,
Which album to say,
I la la love you.
With this plastic cassette,
It’s not finished yet,
It’s gonna tell you slowly.

I’m just making you mixtapes with homemade covers.
Strings and drawings show we’re lovers,
When you’re driving around in the summertime,
To hear again, just press rewind.

Rewind, the world comes to an end,
Turns over again,
Another 1000 times.
But me, I’ll be the same.
No, I never change,
Oh, like a rare B-side.

I’ll be making you mixtapes with homemade covers.
Analog to show we’re lovers,
So much rock and roll love in a plastic case,
Play it loudly, see my face.
I’m just making you mixtapes with homemade covers,
Mazzy Star, Donovan’s Colors,
Just an audio love letter painted blue,
I spent all day making for you.

In the lyrics she sings about Mazzy Star and Donovan. I've stumbled across both of those artists related to other things over the last couple of days. Along with Guns N' Roses and the Beastie Boys, Donovan was also elected into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

This is probably Donovan's most famous song:


Then Mazzy Star's most famous song is available at iTunes for .69c for a limited time. I haven't added it to my iTunes yet, but I'm thinking about it. "Fade Into You" is a very cool song:


I don't like to get very personal in this blog. However I wanted to mention one thing. After a year plus of bullshit I was finally able to dump a house. I'd bought it several years ago when I was still married. One thing lead to another and I got kicked out. We couldn't make the payments any more. About a year ago I had a realtor start the process of selling it as a short sale. Anyway that's an extremely annoying task. Yesterday I finally was able to dump the house that I haven't even lived in for 18 months.

That got me to thinking about the last couple of turbulent years of my life. Driving home the below song came on as an intro on ESPN 700. And I thought it was a song that fit with the last couple of years of my life. Bankruptcy, divorce, short sale on my house and now I live with my parents. Sometimes I do feel like I'm running on empty. But I'm not going to complain as things could be a lot worse. I'm no longer in a bad relationship, don't have a ton of debt hanging over my head. I also have a great family and a great job.


Here are some other great songs. Five days from today Guns N' Roses will be in concert in Salt Lake City. I'm looking forward to it, but on the other hand I'm not getting my hopes built up. One reason why is due to all the filler that's built into the concert. There are too many "instrumental jams" and some less than great songs being played. In GN'R's encore, they usually play"Madagascar". It's not a very good song, it doesn't really go anywhere. This video is from two weeks ago. Following who knows how long of an encore and then they play this song? It seems like any momentum built up would be killed by their encore and this blah song:


When Wings did this song it was pretty great, however Guns N' Roses took it to another level. This is "Live and Let Die" from 3 weeks ago:


Just a couple of more songs. One of the most under appreciated bands of the 80s was INXS. Do you realize how many good songs they had? Unfortunately they also had a lot of bad luck and a suicidal lead singer. I still remember when "Kick" was the hottest CD in America. It is a great CD. Anyway here's "New Sensation":


But my favorite INXS song is "Never Tear Us Apart":


To no one's surprise INXS with a new lead singer never took off. Do you remember the reality show in which they tried to find a new lead singer? If you did you are one the few. If you actually watched it you are one of the fewer.

That's why I love Spotify if I get a musical itch Spotify can usually scratch it. It seems Spotify has pretty much all of INXS' music. I know that Pink Floyd has been one of the last digital music holdouts, but still I thought Spotify would have more of their music available.

Finally this is one of the most danceable songs ever, I love this song:


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites