Friday, December 2, 2011

Sports: Who will be the first NFC East coach fired?, The Awesome Tracy Chapman

Hello,

It has been officially confirmed that I'm old, Britney Spears turned 30 years old today.

Due to a power outage I wasn't able to watch any of the Philadelphia-Seattle game last night. When the power finally came back I laughed to myself that Seattle had beat Philadelphia 31-14. Now that's good stuff. Who would have thought that Seattle would have had a better record than Philadelphia at this point in the season? I didn't, that's for sure. The Seahawks are restoring a little luster to themselves and the NFC West with their recent resurgence.

How's that $20 million a year for Micheal Vick working out for you Philly. He can't play due to injury so they turn to Vince Young. Young is the same person who coined the Dream Team title for the Eagles before the season even started. Then to mock that ridiculous moniker even more he threw 4 interceptions last night. What a bust he's been for the Eagles.

With the Seagulls now at 4-8 is Andy Ried going to be the first NFC East coach fired? Is it going to be the Giants Tom Coughlin? Grantland.com had an excellent article yesterday about how the Giants have allegedly quit on Coughlin over the last several years. My mind is still boggled that a combination of Tom Coughlin/Eli Manning won a Super Bowl. Or is Mike Shanahan going to be the first NFC East coach fired? Although the Redskins have been dreadful for so long, I'm not sure how much you can blame the Redskins sucking on him. It looks like Jason Garrett is the only coach safe in the NFC East, but don't look too closely into the Cowboys smoke and mirrors 7-4 record. And as a long time Cowboys fan I can't get too excited about Garrett.

ESPN yesterday had an article about whether the Conference Championship games matter. My answer is "no". It's widely assumed that whether or not LSU wins the SEC Championship game, they will still play in the National Championship game. Come on and how will LSU not win this game by at least 30 points. In the National College Football game likely it will be Alabama-LSU. Oh yeah, I can hardly wait for another 9-6 yawn fest. I'll refrain from mocking the ACC or Conference USA Championship Games.

One championship game I won't refrain from mocking is the alleged Pac 12 Conference Championship Game. On one side we have the 6-6 UCLA Bruins. This is the same team who already have fired their coach, although he will be "allowed" to coach tonight's game. This same UCLA team who lost their last game by 50 points! was shut out! on their home field! They are playing a very good and explosive 10-2 Oregon team. Oregon has only lost to probably the best team in the nation, LSU, and a very fired up USC team. Try to keep this game within 40 points UCLA.

I wish my alma mater, the University of Utah, would have qualified for the Pac 12 Championship Game. The Utes offense has had several problems this year and desperately need a real quarterback. However their defense is stout. I don't think the Utes would have beat Oregon, but they sure would have given them a much better battle than UCLA will. I'm still disgusted the Utes lost to the terrible Buffaloes at home. Hang in there Coleman Peterson.

Also UCLA has been told that Boise St. coach Chris Peterson isn't interested in their head coach opening. Good idea Chris, why would he be interested in a demotion anyway?

Over at Grantland.com Andy Greenwald wrote an excellent article "How We'd Fix The Walking Dead". Greenwald has many great points and I agree with almost everything he's written. Here's the link:
http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/38373/how-wed-fix-the-walking-dead

Some explanation, I only recently got into "Lost" so I'm slowly working through it. I watched Season 3, Episodes 5 and 6 last night.

In Greenwald's article he makes six points:

1) "Eat Lori". I agree and while we are at it get rid of T-Dog and Glen. Why wasn't the former NFL player from the graphic novels instead of either one of those lightweights. "The Walking Dead" needs to be more like "Lost" and not be afraid to shed a major character every now and then. Through the early part of season 3 of "Lost" they've go rid of Shannon, Boone, Ana Lucia, Libby and in an episode I watched last night Mr. Eko. (Although just because a character dies on "Lost" that doesn't mean that we will never see them again.)

2) "Pick A Destiantion" In other words get the hell out of Dodge, or in this case Hershel's farm. The momentum of this show stopped as soon as they got to Hershel's farm. Of course having the first 7 episodes involving the missing Sophia was one of the great missteps in this show's history. If we don't care about the character we probably aren't going to care about what happens to her. Especially if it's stretched over 7 slow moving, boring episodes.

3) "Don't Get Lost". I disagree a bit on this point. "The Walking Dead" can't come up with enough original ideas so it needs to steal from "Lost". Although by the third season of "Lost" the show has lost some of it's charms, it still is far superior to "The Walking Dead". (If "The Walking Dead" continues it's current course I can only guess how bad it would be in its third season.) "Lost" had a fairly big cast but look at how many great characters it had. The ideas are more satisfying and the writing is much better. There is usually at least one truly transcendent moment in "Lost" each episode. I'm not sure the first half of season 2 of "The Walking Dead" had one. Even the zombie slaughter and Sophia reveal was sort of lame and was hinted at in the far superior graphic novels.

4) "Infuse Some Fresh Blood". I agree 100%! This show needs characters that we care about. Obviously they can't add Locke or Kate, but they need somebody cool. It's not to late to add the former NFL player, Tyrese, and his son. Get rid of Lori and find a new ass kicking love interest for Rick. Or Maggie has potential, she's the only character from Hershel's farm worth a damn. But please add someone transcendent that will kick this season in the butt.

5) "Reinvent the Characters", see #4. Also why has Daryl turned into such a wuss? Getting flowers and romancing Carol, at least in his own way.

6) "Own the Zombies" Let's be honest people watch this show because of the zombies. Without zombies this show would be cancelled. Make the zombies much more interesting and consistent. I laugh at the convenient zombies. They should always be fearsome. And a zombie attacking a shoe when a whole body is available? Really? Then make what the humans do in response much more interesting. If Dale isn't made for this world then let him commit suicide in one of the upcoming episodes. Make it dramatic and add some spark to this show. Dale's suicide would help start to resolve many of the weak characteristics of this show.

One final sports related note: according to ESPN Bobby Valentine's career record is 1117-1072. But by my count only two playoff appearances. I can't say I'm overly excited about this managerial decision.

Do you love Christmas music? amazon.com is doing something called 25 days of free. You can get a Christmas song free everyday from December 1st to December 25th. Songs so far this month have been from Celtic Woman and Brian Wilson.

Great songs: I'll start off with Miley Cyrus' "Who Owns My Heart". I'm purposefully not showing the original video. It's too skanky for my taste.


I wouldn't categorize myself as a big Bon Jovi fan, but I do like this song:


This is from the "American Idiot" Broadway Soundtrack. I think they did justice to the excellent Green Day CD.

This song is Tracy Chapman's "For My Lover". This song is from not only one of the best 80's CDs but also one of the best debut CDs ever. It's the 1988 self-titled CD "Tracy Chapman". I plan on checking out her 1989 CD today, "Crossroads" today. (Thanks Spotify.) I don't recognize any of the songs on Crossroads" though. The most popular song on this CD is "Fast Car". In fact I don't know Tracy disappeared too, but she needs to come back.


Here are a few other excellent songs off her debut CD:

"Baby Can I Hold You":


"Talking About A Revolution":


"Why":


"For You":


And of course I had to add "Fast Car" to my blog. I also added it to my iPod.


In listening to Chapman's 1989 CD "Crossroads" I can understand why she disappeared so quickly. It's not very good. Listening to the CD I don't even remember one of the songs.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites