Thursday, April 5, 2012

MLB Opening Day, Red Wings, Dwight Howard Whining Again, Vendetta Red

Hello,

Today is the Major League Baseball opening day for many teams. All 5 of my teams are playing today. Right now the Red Sox, Cubs, Pirates and Braves are playing. Even with 3 of those games in the 7th inning none of my teams have scored yet. For my four teams 24 innings have been played without a run scored. Out of all my teams playing today, the Cubs are the team that I want to win the most. Why? I'd like to see the Cubs in first place at least once this season. Meanwhile my other team, the LA Dodgers, start a new era today. With Magic Johnson now representing the Dodgers, I hope this is a turnaround season for the Dodgers. LA is sending last season's Cy Young award winner, Clayton Kershaw, to the mound today. That game kicks off about 7:00EST.

Update although the Cubs are the fourth of my teams to start their season today, they are the first team to score. Now my teams have scored 1 run in 30 innings, that's not exactly a good omen for this season.

Update 2: The Braves and Pirates lost today 1-0. Nearly everybody's pitching seems to be extraordinary today. After trailing 2-0, Boston scored two runs in the top of the 9th inning. One of the substitute closers Alfredo Aceves is pitching now for the Red Sox. Scheduled closer, Andrew Bailey, is on the 60 day DL. Aceves is a solid pitcher so the Red Sox should be fine until Bailey gets back. As a Red Sox fan, do I miss Jonathan Papelbon? No, although I do wish him luck. Not that he needs it as the Phillies paid him a ridiculous amount of money. However not a good start for Boston's closer by committee as they gave up a run in the bottom of the 9th inning to lose the game 3-2. For those keeping track at home that's 3 runs and 3 losses in 35 innings for my teams. Come on Cubs hold on!

Update 3: The Carlos Marmol choke parade continued. Marmol showed he's already in midseason form by choking on his save attempt. Marmol blew about 10 saves last year, which is a horrendous total for an alleged closer. The Cubs went on to lose the game 2-1. I don't think these numbers can get much more dismal than they are now. 36 innings, 3 runs and 4 losses. What are the chances for all 5 of my teams to lose their first game of the season?

The Hollywood production known as the Orlando Magic has struck again. As usual, the person starring in this drama is the ultimate drama queen, Dwight Howard. Magic Coach Stan Van Gundy has stated publicly that Dwight Howard wants him out of Orlando. Van Gundy claims someone in management confirmed to him that Howard has asked for him to be fired. Howard denies that he has talked to anyone about this. Then he went into CYA mode and claimed that's a decision made by Magic management.

Who do I believe in this whole matter? I believe Van Gundy. The reason why is because that kind of bs is something that is consistent with Howard's public persona. The same person who whined about where he'll be playing during a lockout is obviously used to thinking of himself first, last and always. Howard probably thinks the reason why the Magic aren't even close to hitting their potential is because of Van Gundy's coaching. Not that the fact he's a terrible free throw shooter and his disinterested play against the Knicks recently helps the Magic at all. If Howard could hit 70% of his free throws, imagine how much "better" a coach that Van Gundy would be.

I believe that a person should only be allowed to criticize others when he's doing everything he possibly can. Until he improves his free throw shooting Dwight Howard shouldn't be complaining about anyone else!

My heart goes out to the poor people of the Dallas area who were hit with two big tornados that caused much damage. Apparantally 6 to 13 tornados hit the ground, thankfully no one was killed. The tornados have the two most significant touchdowns in Dallas history in quite some time. I'm guessing Jerry Jones was privately relieved for awhile. His handling of the once proud Cowboys is no longer the biggest disaster in Dallas. Please don't put him in charge of the clean up process. Actually please don't put him in charge of anything but making money.

The Red Wings came up with a very clutch win last night, they beat the Blues 3-2 in a shootout. That gives the Red Wings 101 points for this season. This is Detroit's 12th straight season with at least 100 points. More importantly, with this win, the Red Wings jump into 4th place in the Western Conference. Why does that matter if they finish in 4th or 5th place? If they finish in 4th place, they have have home ice advantage in the first round of the playoffs. They close out the regular season by playing the Devils tonight and Blackhawks Saturday.

Now on to some brief music reviews. The All American Rejects released their new CD "Kids In The Street" on March 26th. I would say I'm a fairly big fan of the Rejects. I loved their last CD, "When The World Comes Down". I highly suggest you pick up that CD and add it to your collection. (Yes an actual CD, not in digital form.) As for "Kids In The Street" you can skip that CD. The first 2 songs "Someday's Gone" and "Beekeeper's Daughter" start out the CD pretty well. However once the CD gets to it's third track, "Fast & Slow", the CD starts to quickly slide down to being a very average CD. Unless you can get this music free I suggest you don't pick it up in any format. Grade D+

If you really want to buy something off this CD, this would be the song to buy:



I've never been a big Shinedown fan, but I'm not a hater either. I saw them in concert a few years ago. They opened for Van Hagar, and I was impressed with them. But not impressed enough to jump on their bandwagon. However with the release of their excellent new CD, "Amaryllis", I may be jumping on that bandwagon now. This is a very solid CD with a lot of great songs on it. After a few listens my favorite songs are "Adreniline", "Bully", "Amaryllis", "I'm Not Alright" and "Miracle". Grade B+

This is another great song on Shinedown's new CD "Enemies":



I've mentioned Vendetta Red a couple of times on here and I'm a huge fan of their CD "Sisters Of The Red Death". It's a CD they released and it seemed to drop completely out of sight almost immediately. I only know about it as I stumbled across it at local indie retailer Graywhale. Due to a double discount day I was able to pick up the CD for less than a buck. So I thought what the hell? I was pleasantly surprised by how good the CD is. Anyway someone representing Vendetta Red in some capacity found my blog.

They gave me some information that I want to pass along if you are interested: to make sure you aware of their return/comeback!  Check out their officals sites:
And you can follow them on twitter @VendettaRedBand and myself @VendettaRedBuzz if you are on twitter.
Thanks for help spread the word about Vendetta Red.
If you haven't checked out "Sisters of The Red Death" I recommend you do so, unfortunately only a few of it's songs are on Spotify. This is their most famous song, a slice of butt kicking rock:



This is my favorite song from "Sisters Of The Red Death". This is "Coital Improv" or as I call it "Shantytown":



And although I have overdosed on 80's videos lately I've been keeping my ear to the ground for new good music. Well at least it's new to me, although it almost has 8 million views on youtube.com. This song is called "Blackout" and it's from the band Breathe Carolina. I really like this song:



A couple more classic 80's videos. This is John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band's "On The Dark Side":



The Psychedelic Furs "Pretty In Pink":



I prefer the version that was changed for the movie:



Robert Palmer's "Addicted To Love":



Wang Chung's "To Live and Die in LA":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites