Friday, April 27, 2012

Dallas Cowboys First Round Draft Pick, iTunes playlist: Queen

Hello,

Dallas had their 59th draft day trade yesterday and traded up to get LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne. To me this seems like a pretty good trade, Dallas only swapped first round picks and a second round pick to get a potential shut down cornerback. Something the Cowboys have lacked for far too long. In the offseason they signed Brandon Carr to a long term, very expensive free agency contract. They also resigned Orlando Scandrick to a 5 year- $27 million dollar extension. I'm fine with the first move, but the second move sounds a bit iffy. But when Jerry Jones is the decision maker, I'm happy if he's right 50% of the time.

I do have some concerns about their first round pick though. Claiborne only scored a 4 on the Wonderlic test. That's the reported lowest score in a dozen years. In his defense, this is what Claiborne says about the test: "I mean, I looked on the test and wasn't nothing on the test that came with football, so I pretty much blew the test off." (Thanks as always to espn.com.) 

That's all well and good. However I have two concerns about the above statement. 1) It makes me wonder how many other things he will "blow off". Or did he "blow off" the test after he didn't know the answer to any of the questions? 2) The Wonderlic may or may not be ridiculous. But it's part of a job interview, so he should have taken it more seriously. The test was only 12 minutes, why not give it your all? And what do those two things say about his work ethic and level of dedication?

I listened to Claiborne's interview on ESPN radio and he sounded intelligent enough. He sounded a lot smarter than Karl Malone did on his new radio show.

Other teams that I thought did well in the first round of the NFL Draft were the Colts and the Redskins. To no one's surprise Andrew Luck went #1 to the Colts. The Redskins then selected Robert Griffin 3, RG3, at #2. He's obviously is suppose to be their franchise quarterback for many years to come. That makes the quarterbacks in the NFC East RG3, Eli Manning, Michael Vick and the great Tony Romo.

I also was impressed with the Browns draft. They traded up to get Trent Richardson at #3. Richardson has made some of the most amazing moves I've ever seen on a football field. He'll probably be a solid running back for at least a few years. My main concern is with the NFL moving to more of a passing attack how much longer will the running back remain relevant in most NFL offenses? Also how durable will Richardson be? I'm not questioning his toughness but being a NFL running back is a very grueling and taxing occupation. You literally get hit on almost every play by someone bigger than you and it's usually hit by multiple players bigger than you. It reminds me of the plight of Marion Barber. He had a couple good years for the Cowboys, one mediocre year for the Bears and then retired at the age of 27.

Also the Browns drafted a potential starting quarterback, Brandon Weeden from Oklahoma State. Let's hope he develops quickly as he'll be 29 when this football season starts. What would the NFL be like with the Browns as a relevant franchise?

My other two teams: Tampa Bay drafted Alabama safety Mark Barron at #7. And at #31 they drafted the Boise State running back Doug Martin. I'm hoping this is a bounce back year for the Bucs and their quarterback Josh Freeman. Then I thought that the 49ers made a bit of a strange draft pick. They picked Illinois wide receiver AJ Jenkins. I really don't know anything about Jenkins and he may be a great wide receiver. What I'm wondering is why did the 49ers draft a wide receiver? They already have Michael Crabtree, Mario Manningham, Randy Moss and Ted Ginn Jr. Maybe they are hoping to trade one of their wide receivers for a more pressing concern? But then why didn't they just draft for that?

The other day on iTunes in the search spot I typed in the word "queen". I loved the songs that played for that word. The search brought up 132 songs, obviously included songs by Queen. I had forgotten how many good songs they have. But the playlist also played songs from Queensryche, Queens of the Stone Age and assorted oddities. I quite enjoyed listening to music like this and I'm going to continue doing it, but trying other words.

Some of the better songs that played in the above playlist:

Sheryl Crow's "Steve McQueen":



Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody":



Queensryche "Best I Can":



Queensryche "Jet City Woman":



Billy Ocean's "Caribbean Queen":



Juice Newton's "Queen of Hearts":



The classic Guns N' Roses lineup on  "Rocket Queen":



Mountain's "Mississippi Queen":



From one extreme to another, Abba's "Dancing Queen":



I'll close this with the great Johnny Cash, "The Ballad of Teenage Queen":



Adding the above Juice Newton song made me think of another one of her amazing songs:



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites