Sunday, April 15, 2012

Youtube Hop Scotch, Dodgers and Red Sox

Hello,

In listening to music on the internet, for me it begins and ends with Spotify. I know that a lot of people like Pandora and it's Music Genome Project. However if I want to listen to the Dixie Chicks, a few songs later I don't want to be listening to Mary J. Blige. Frustratingly that has been my reality has all too often with Pandora. As frequent readers of this blog know, I spend a lot of time on Youtube. It's where I get the videos I put on this blog. I like how after a video plays they recommend several other songs. I was on a 80's kick the other day and Youtube kept on recommending great 80's songs followed by another great 80's song.

Pandora plays one song based on it's Music Genome Project and either a song or artist that was entered in the website. I can only skip so many songs before I have to listen to whatever they play, even if that's a song I don't want to hear. Of course with Pandora, I pay a lot less attention to the music playing. The music becomes background noise. Youtube hop scotch requires one to pay more attention to the music playing. But I'm rewarded with being able to listen several great songs and many times can watch the original video. Youtube let's me have unlimited skipping of songs. Of course since they offer at least 10 video options, I'm never forced to skip a song. Youtube lists several songs I can choose from and I can listen to any song they recommend. Obviously I'm referring to Youtube's recommendation engine as, it seems to be more accurate than Pandoras.

Today I played Youtube Hop Scotch for awhile to see what songs it would recommend. Since Youtube recommended a 80's song first I went with that theme for this experiment. I'm an unabashed lover of almost anything 80's, but I especially love nearly everything about 80's music. I went to Youtube and without me typing in anything, they recommended Thompson Twins "Hold Me Now". It was followed by Tears For Fears "Everybody Wants To Rule The World". That lead next to a song I haven't thought about for a long time, The Cutting Crew's "I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight". Next up was the great ballad "The Next Time I Fall" from Amy Grant and Peter Cetera.

Then: Starship's "Nothing Gonna Stop Us Now"
Next up one of my all time favorite songs "The Glory of Love".
John Parr's "St. Elmo's Fire" (Man In Motion) I love the line "You broke the boy in me, but you won't break the man".
Toto's "Africa" Great song, but a really, really bad video.
Kim Carnes "Bette Davis Eyes" (A song Taylor Swift covered at least once on her recent tour.)
Double's "The Captain of Her Heart". Wow, I had completely forgotten about this song:



Al Stewart's "The Year of the Cat":



Simply Red's "Holding Back The Years":



The Commodore's "Sail On":



Looking Glass's "Brandi You're A Fine Girl":



Christopher Cross's "Ride Like The Wind":



The Dodgers continue on their season starting hot streak. LA is led by the National League MVP in the making, Matt Kemp, it seems without steroids (cough Ryan Braun), he leads the NL in home runs (5), RBIs (15) and Batting Average (.457). Now have I started gearing myself up to celebrate a Dodgers World Series title? Um, no. The Dodgers are 8-1, however those victories have come against teams that currently are 4-13. LA's Poff is 67.6%. Starting on Tuesday I expect the Dodgers to crash back to reality as they go on a 9 game road trip. They play 3 games in Milwaukee, 3 in Houston and close out the road trip with 3 games in Atlanta. Currently none of those 3 teams have a winning record.

Curt Schilling said that he liked Bobby Valentine personally, but didn't know if Valentine was the right manager for the Red Sox. After listening to an interview with Valentine the other night, I agree with Schilling. Valentine comes off as extremely defensive and thin skinned. My therapist said one shouldn't be defensive. Defensive causes one to try and justify their mistakes and maybe even lying to justify their behavior. Usually that only makes the issue worse. She also said one should own up to their mistakes and fix whatever happened. Also doesn't being defensive come off as weakness? I wouldn't be surprised to see Valentine quit through the season or only survive one season. He's not off to a good start.

Although it was nice to see the Red Sox score 25 runs in their last two games. Boston is still 3-5 and last place in the AL East. Their Poff (chances of making the playoffs) is 44.2%. That's in MLB's toughest division.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites