Friday, April 20, 2012

Youtube Hopscotch Again, Sports: Fenway's 100th Anniversary

Hello,

Just a few quick sports thoughts before getting to my latest exciting adventure of Youtube Hopscotch.

The Boston Red Sox celebrate Fenway Park's 100th anniversary today. Basically anyone that has added to the legend of Fenway Park, and is still alive, will be there. I'm guessing Bobby Valentine will also be showing up. To make the celebration complete the Red Sox are playing a game today as well. And who else would be better to play than the Yankees? That game begins at 3:10 EST. The school I work at had a new quarter start this last Monday. Thus I have to work today. (Not a complaint: I have a great job. One of the best benefits of my job is that I usually have Fridays off. I love a job where nearly every weekend is a three day weekend.) I'm disappointed I won't be able to watch at least part of this game.

It's unlikely that Boston will be able to crawl out of the AL East's cellar by the end of this 3 game series. But it would be good if the Red Sox could win at least 2 of the games, especially today. I'd love to see the Red Sox get a desperately needed jump start on their season. This series culminates in Sunday Night Baseball.

If you like to read about the Fenway's original opening day, ESPNBoston has a good and very long article here:

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/7834152/boston-red-sox-opening-day-last

Another big game that I will miss part of because of work is Game 5 of the Red Wings-Predators first round Stanley Cup series. Not only are the Red Wings down 3-1, this game is in Nashville. Predators fans will be hopped up cheering for the Predators to advance. It's time for the Red Wings to man up and stick a few goals down the Predator's throats. It would be nice for Detroit's offense to wake up, they have only scored 8 goals in the first 4 games. (Side note: I've heard the rational on why fighting is allowed in hockey. However it just doesn't make sense to me. Fighting only distracts from what can make hockey fun to watch.)

The Dwight Howard fiasco continues. He's been officially ruled out throughout the rest of the regular season and the playoffs due to a back injury. He'll also miss playing for the United States in the Olympics, which I'm perfectly fine with. I really don't want such a whiner to represent the great country that I live in.

Dwight before you further erode any more goodwill I have some advice. 1) Shut The Hell Up! The less we hear of you until the start of the next NBA season the better. 2) Work on your free throw shooting. It boggles my mind that a NBA player can't even make 50% of his foul shots. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to Howard. He claims he's not "quitting" on his teammates. But from the way he's acted this year, I don't blame anyone that would be skeptical of . Even with Howard I don't think the Magic are a well constructed team. Without Howard will the Magic even win one playoff game?

Take an example from Carlos Boozer. He whined for a couple of seasons, however this season very little has been heard from him. He's just gone out and played to near the limit of his ability. Although Boozer will go down as one of the worst free agency signings ever, at least he's acting like a gentleman.

I thought of Boozer last night because I watched part of last night's very boring Heat-Bulls matchup. The Bulls for the most part looked horrendous. I know they were without the services of dynamic point guard Derrick Rose, but still their level of play was abysmal. ESPN called their play "punchless", which is a perfect description.

Although Miami didn't look very good either. To me the Heat are the class of the Eastern Conference. I can't see any other Eastern team qualifying for the NBA Finals, especially if Rose isn't at 100%. I read a comment from LeBron James about how much he would like to win a 3rd NBA MVP. What LeBron needs to focus on is winning a NBA Finals MVP. Of course, that would require him to not disappear in 4th quarters of Finals games. And enough of this nonsense of trying to get his teammates involved. He's the man and he needs to act accordingly. He needs to lead the Heat to the NBA Championship. Although it's more likely that Dwayne Wade, who has actually won a NBA Championship, should be the leader.

Now the game that's sweeping the nation. It's time for another edition of Youtube Hopscotch. I started the Hopscotch with this song:


"All Cried Out" lead to many great songs. Some songs very predictable but some weren't so predictable. Some old school Whitney Houston and Toni Braxton etc. But I was more interested in the songs that were a bit more obscure. Also if I got bored with Youtube Hopscotch I would mix it up a bit and throw in an offbeat song like:


Here are some of the obscure songs that I stumbled across yesterday. This was my favorite of all the songs. I listened to Sade's "Smooth Operator" multiple times yesterday:


Sade's "Soldier of Love":


Gregory Abbot's "Shake You Down" is one of the sexiest songs ever:


Another amazing and incredibly sexy song, this is from Freddie Jackson. "You Are My Lady":


"The Rain"- Oran "Juice" Jones. This might be the video with the most spoken dialogue ever. It really distracts from the song quickly. Although I admitted I laughed at the line "I bought you things you couldn't even pronounce".


Don't you just love "the acting" in this video. The Deele's "Shoot 'em Up Movies":


Taylor Dayne's "Love Will Lead You Back":


Another great Taylor Dayne song:


I love Martika's voice on "Toy Soldiers":


The System's "Don't Disturb This Groove":


Karyn White's "Superwoman":


Here's an oddball, Timex Social Club's "Rumors":


themusicaddict

1 comment:

Justin M said...

I love the Timex Social Club jam.

Favorites