Thursday, April 26, 2012

NFL Draft, Karl Malone's Train Wreck "Thru My Eyes"

Hello,

Tonight is the NFL Draft. Do you care? I do but only very little, I won't be watching it at all. I'll see who Tampa Bay gets at 5, who Dallas gets at 14th and who San Francisco gets at 30.  But I'll be relying on my good friends over at ESPN and espn.com for that information. We already know that the Colts will be drafting Andrew Luck at 1 and that the Redskins will be drafting RG3 at 2. (Good luck Robert, that's a terrible situation for you to be going to.) Then at 3 will the Vikings select Trent Richardson, ex-USC stud Matt Kalil or someone else?

My only concern for the Cowboys is Jerry Jones. Since he's such a football "genius", he likes to get cute and trade up and down in the draft trying to find the best players. As there is every year, there's rumors he'll do the same thing this year. For instance, a couple of years ago he traded up to get Dez Bryant. Well Jerry that hasn't turned out so well. I wish that Jerry would get out of the way of the people who really know football on the Cowboys. Why does Jerry Jones remind me of:



They both have way too much oil money, but Jerry Jones may be a bit more clueless.

What I will be watching tonight once I get home is the Boston-Chicago MLB game. The Red Sox have won 3 in a row and scored 24 runs in their series against the Twins. I don't know if that says the Red Sox are any good or that the Twins are that bad. But I do look forward to seeing how the Red Sox do tonight against Philip Humber. Humber is the pitcher who pitched the 21st perfect game in MLB history in his last start.

The Red Sox have improved to 7-10, but remain last place in the AL East. They still trail the first place Orioles by 3.5 games. According to ESPN, Boston's chances of making the playoffs improved from 20.6% to 27.4%. But will they have enough to remain relevant in the playoff chase until they get Carl Crawford, Jacoby Ellsbury and designated closer Andrew Miller back? Also can they get another reliable starter through a trade? Daisuke Matsuzaka is supposedly rehabbing now. But how good will he be if and when he comes back. And what will Boston do about their closer position until Miller gets back? And what will they do if Miller isn't quite what they expect him to be?

The NFL Draft probably isn't the most boring thing related to the NFL. Actually that would be the NFL's Pro Bowl. Word is coming from the NFL that they are thinking about "suspending" the Pro Bowl.  I completely agree, my only question is what has taken them so long? I can't remember the last Pro Bowl I watched even a few minutes of. I think it was back in the late 80s. Of all the All-Star games it's the most boring. Most All-Star games aren't that interesting, but the NFL's Pro Bowl isn't much more than a glorified flag football game. I haven't watched the NBA All-Star game for a few years now. The only All-Star game I might watch is MLBs. Baseball seems to work with the All-Star format better.

I love local radio station ESPN 700. I like listening to Mike and Mike on the days I drive to work when they are on. I also like Bill Riley, although he repeats himself way too much. He's also a spin doctor for the teams ESPN700 hosts. But generally he's fair minded and interesting. I was cautiously optimistic, and a bit apprehensive, when he said he was going to announce a new on air personality. But I was very disappointed when the "big announcement" was made.  I had been imagining all these intriguing possibilities.

But when it was announced that Karl Malone would be the new on air personality, I couldn't believe it. Although Karl Malone had many amazing years with the Utah Jazz, he was never very interesting. The main thing I remember about Karl is how much he whined about wanting more money, wanting different players on the Jazz and whatever else he could whine about. He never seemed to be happy and we had to hear about it.

The name of Malone's show is "Thru My Eyes" and it's a two hour a week train wreck. The program is every Wednesday from 4:00 to 6:00MST. I find that I don't care how the world looks through Malone's eyes. I did listen to the show a bit yesterday and it was bad as I expected. Things that were bad include Karl Malone talking in the third person. He's not very eloquent and he murders the poor, undefended English language. He was as uninteresting as all those years ago when he played for the Jazz. In fact those days remind me of my favorite Karl Malone quote of all-time. It's "Karl Malone gotta do what Karl Malone gotta do." That's true Karl, but that doesn't mean I need to listen to it.

I don't care about Malone's opinion on the military, Ted Nugent, current NBA players, family etc. I could have just said I don't care about Malone's opinion on anything. Other than giving him a chance yesterday I won't be listening to his show. Even the teaser clip of Karl Malone that ESPN700 is playing shows how bad of an idea of Malone having a show is.

I feel sorry for Bill Riley having to cohost "Thru My Eyes" with Malone. Riley has to hear Malone's annoying opinions, tortured syntax and basically carry the show. A consolation for Riley is that this show won't last long.

(By the way for the ESPN700 Hot or Not feature of Jessica Pare, she's very hot. Pare plays Megan Draper in "Mad Men".)

Some quality tunes for your pleasure. This is Pet Shop Boys "West End Girls":



The very funky Boz Scaggs song "Lowdown":



I love this very intriguing, quirky song by a band named Noah and the Whale. The song is titled "Blue Skies":



And is this song fun or annoying? POTUS' "Peaches":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites