Monday, April 23, 2012

(Updated December 17th, 2019) The Best of The Scorpions, Part 1

Hello,

I updated this blog on December 17th, 2019. I originally published this on April 23rd, 2012. Going back 7 years some of the text was too wordy, so I fixed that. Also the videos were no longer showing so I'm replacing the blank spaces where videos should be. I still haven't seen the Scorpions in concert, maybe in 2020? Part 2 of this blog will be published in 2019 or 2020.

I'm seriously thinking of going to the Scorpions-Queensryche concert in SLC, Utah on June 11th. It should be a great concert and a way to mark my former wedding anniversary. I've seen many 80's bands, but I've never seen the Scorpions in concert. I would love to see them once at least. Allegedly this is the last time they are touring ever. (Uh huh.) (Update: the Scorpions are still touring in 2019.) Thanks to my friends over at Spotify, I enjoyed listening to their latest CD, "Sting In The Tail". Let's be honest once a band is past their prime, usually any music they make after that sucks. Honestly that's what I expected of their recent CD. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I like Sting. I also  quite like their previous CD, 2007's "Humanity Hour 1". Although there are a few good songs on "Sting", this is my favorite song on "Raised On Rock:


This is their most recent set list. This is from their April 21st, 2012 concert in Russia. (Thanks to setlist.fm.) Sadly "Lorelei" wasn't in their most recent setlist.

1) "Sting In The Tail":


2) "Make It Real": (I found myself singing this song last night.)


3) "Is There Anybody There":



4) "The Zoo": I don't know how to describe the cool sound in this song, other than the churning sound of the guitars. This is probably one of my favorite Scorpions songs. Does anyone ever know what Klaus is saying? I would love to hear this song live!

5) "Coast to Coast":

6) "Loving You Sunday Morning"
7) "Living For Tomorrow":

8) "The Best Is Yet To Come":

9) "Always Somewhere":

10) "Holiday":
11) "Raised On Rock" This is another one of my favorite songs on their latest CD. Yeah the start of this song reminds me of "Rock You Like A Hurricane" too.

12) "Tease Me Please Me"
13) "Hit Between The Eyes":

14) "Kottak Attack": (Unnecessary Drum Solo)

15) "Blackout":



16 "Six String Attack": (Unnecessary Guitar Solo)

17) "Big City Nights":



Encore

18) "Still Loving You":



19) "Winds of Change"
20) "Rock You Like A Hurricane":


It looks like a pretty good setlist, but honestly I'm a little disappointed. I love the heavy metal ballad as much as the next person, in fact they are some of the greatest songs ever, but on the other hand I don't want too many ballads. It seems I missed the memo, but when did the Scorpions become a ballads band? I count about 7 ballads in their setlist, 35% of the songs they play in this concert.

I suggest that they dump at least 3 ballads and replace them with songs that kick butt. I dislike having two ballads in the chorus, especially that sappy "Winds of Change". I believe an encore should rock and send the crowd out in the night buzzing. Here's a list of songs they could add to make their concert even more kick butt. The number in parenthesis is where the song is listed on iTunes Top 200 songs by the Scorpions. Some songs are listed multiple times, for those songs I listed the version of the song that is the highest. I do that to illustrate that I'm not the only one that likes these songs. And to be frank, no one is going to see the Scorpions to hear songs from the new CD.

"No One Like You" (2) According to setlist.fm, they've only played this song twice on their current tour. I can't believe they don't play this song every night. This song kicks butt and is one of their most iconic songs:

"Rhythm of Love" (4) No rock cliche was hurt in the making of this video.

"Dynamite" (14):

"I Can't Explain" (18):

"Another Piece Of Meat" (23):

"Can't Live Without You" (37):

"Bad Boys Running Wild" (40):

"Don't Stop At The Top" (116):

"Alien Nation" (132) This isn't one of their most well known songs, but I quite like it:

"Don't Believe Her" (142):


I'm adding these songs on December 17th, 2019. I don't see this song in the iTunes Top 100. "Rock'n'Roll Band" (unknown):



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites