Sunday, April 8, 2012

Dodgers are 3-0! "Mad Men", "The Killing" Thoughts

Hello,

As hard as it is to believe, the Dodgers have the best record in MLB as of last night. Dee Gordon singled the go ahead run with two outs in the 11th inning. Gordon was also the offensive star of the night. He had 3 hits, 2 walks, stole 3 bases and scored twice. The Dodgers close out their 4 game series with the Padres with an afternoon game today. The Dodgers kick off their home schedule on Tuesday, April 10th. They are welcoming another one of my teams, the Pittsburgh Pirates. (Thanks to espn.com.)

I also have been slamming the Orlando Magic, especially Dwight Howard, of late. So I watched a bit of last night's Magic-76ers game. First of all my prediction was wrong, I predicted an easy win for the 76ers. Not only did they not have an easy win, Orlando won the game. This is one of the many reasons why I don't bet. It's highly likely that the Magic will not fall below 6th place in the Eastern Conference playoff race. In fact if they go on a bit of a run, and the teams ahead of them stumble some, the Magic could get as high as the third seed.

Full disclosure: I neither hate or like the Magic. I don't necessarily hate Dwight Howard either, but I do hate his immaturity and his behavior which undermines his team. Statistically Howard had a good game last night. When he's not being a petulant child, he can be a beast. He must have been focused last night as he actually hit 12 of 18 free throws, 66%! Although he only shot 4 of 14 from the field. He grabbed a mind boggling 22 rebounds. He also had 6 assists and scored 20 points. The announcers complimented Howard on his screening ability. But they also pointed out it took him 15 seconds to cross the half court line on an offensive possession. He ended up scoring a basket on that possession. That whole play says a lot about Dwight Howard. He can be one of the best players in the NBA if he wants to be.

I read an interesting article in Sports Illustrated last night about the riots following sporting events. This article was about the riots following Vancouver losing to Boston in last season's NHL Stanley Cup. Two main points brought up in the article 1) Sports is the most common cause of riots. 2) The city of the winner is usually where the riots occur. Typically the fans of the losing team goes home to lick their wounds. That last point especially makes it intriguing that Vancouver fans had the riot.

Speaking of the NHL, "my" Red Wings lost yesterday in their final regular season game. That means they are the 5th seeded team in the Western Conference. They'll play the 4th seeded Nashville Predators in the first round of the playoffs. The NHL playoffs begin April 11th.

Tonight on AMC is the fourth episode of Season 5 of "Mad Men". For the first time in I don't know how long I'm not excitedly looking forward to it. That's because last week's episode was, sad to say, boring. From the heavy Betty Draper to the fact that her character is becoming irrelevant. Also the lame Harry Crane getting way too much screen time. Crane, who is allegedly the person who is in charge of SCDP's TV department not knowing who the Rolling Stones are. He then signed the wrong band, The Trade Winds, to an endorsement contract. I don't know how much I like the mortality of Don Draper. Draper may be an adulterer and cad, but he always has had the element of cool. However him hanging out waiting for the Rolling Stones to show up, you could see him losing some of his coolness. Without the cool Don Draper, this show will have a hard time maintaining it's coolness of the first 4 seasons.

As for "The Killing" again I'm not expecting a lot from tonight's third episode of Season 2. I expect a lot more dreariness and turgid story telling. The title of tonight's episode, "Numb" reveals too much about the quality, or lack thereof, of this show. One of the main story lines of "Numb" is Linden looking for Rosie's missing backpack. (Is it just me or is this about the fourth time they have looked for Rosie's backpack?) The same backpack that Holder had given to him by the Larsens. He sensed something not quite right in the Seattle police department and switched out Rosie's backpack and then disposed of it. I love the crooked cop realizing knowing not all is right with the Seattle police department. Also I dread the return of Mitch Larson and more of the horrendous over acting of Michelle Forbes.

Again the lame dichotomy of the Seattle police force being either crooked or inept is extremely boring. (Come on Mr. Duck Phillips, really Lt. Carlson, please straighten them out.) I dread to see how the dichotomy of stupidity of this show will continue to drag this show down. I'll probably watch tonight's episode, but I don't know how much longer I'll continue watching this show. It's not must see TV like great TV should be. I've stopped caring about who killed Rosie many episodes ago.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites