Thursday, September 27, 2012

"Hearts in Atlantis", "Blockade Billy", "The Mindy Project"

Hello,

Last night I finished reading Stephen King's "Hearts In Atlantis", the ending wasn't as good as I hoped. "Heavenly Nights....", the last story, didn't pack the emotional wallop that I was expecting. Would I recommend to people to read this book, most definitely. It's still a great book. The first two narratives in the book were the best of the bunch. "Low Men In Yellow Coats" is classic King and "Hearts In Atlantis" is very good.  I'm not sure how King is able to mix the combination of sentimentally and fright so well together. I'd think that those two things couldn't work together. However in the hands of King, they work very well together.

I then spent a few minutes looking through my books, which is usually one of my favorite things about reading. I even picked up "Christine" and reread the first few lines again. That books reminds me of where I was in life when I read it, about 1985. I didn't choose to read that book, but I allowed the memory of that time to occupy me a few moments. In picking a book, there are so many tantalizing possibilities that each book may have. Do I want to travel to Malta ("The Jukebox Queen of Malta") or Uganda (The Last King of Scotland") or stay in America? I decided to stay in America and enjoy a book about our national pastime. I'm next reading King's "Blockade Billy". It's a book by itself, yet is about half of the length of "Low Men In Yellow Coats". I read the first third of it. I probably would have read the whole thing if not for those darn responsibilities of mine.

Before that though I wanted to watch some TV. One of the shows I wanted to watch was "Vegas". However it's not on Comcast On Demand. That always surprises me how short-sighted some people are. I did watch "Go On", it was another enjoyable episode. Of all the comedies this season, that's one of my two favorites. My other favorite being "Inbetweeners". Those two shows are so much funnier than most of the shows that are trying to pass as "comedies" this fall. (Although "Castle" isn't a comedy per se, I usually laugh several times during that show.) In about a week or so, I expect that "Guys With Kids", "Ben and Kate" or the most ridiculous TV concept ever "The Mob Doctor" to be cancelled.

"Neighbors" had decent numbers last night so will probably last at least a few weeks. Although I still have no desire to watch it. With some of the shows mentioned above I suggest this could be the worst fall season in many years. How are terrible shows like "The Mob Doctor" and "Guys With Kids" even reaching TV? So very few of these shows seem to have the potential to last a long time. But what do I know the horrendous "The Killing" lasted two seasons.

Besides "Go On", I also watched  "The Mindy Project" last night. Hmm, I just don't know. I mean it was okay and the show does have sort of a dorky charm to it. But the durability issue comes up again. The humor of dating has already been mined hundreds of times. What can this show do to extend that premise beyond one season? Mindy Lahiri, Mindy Kaling's character, comes off as desperate. Too desperate to be very funny. And are these not the least believable doctors ever?

I feel like Clara Peller and want to ask "Where's the comedy?" Compared to some of it's peers though, it could be a lot worse.



I look forward to finally seeing the much buzzed premiere of "The Last Resort" tonight. This show may be one of the few shows to actually have some durability. I wonder how long the show will be able to live up to the frenetic pace of the premiere. Just from the trailer, there seems to be a lot stuffed into just an hour show. Maybe after seeing the premiere tonight things will be clearer.

I also am excited to seeing "Elementary" tonight, although I do have some trepidation about it. It's yet another cop show, something we desperately don't need. Maybe it will be like "Copper", a show that's different enough to be interesting. "Copper" has very strong characters, which is one of it's strengths. One thing that would help set "Elementary" apart is if it doesn't rely on the tried, true and very boring case of the week format.  Perhaps have a case that stretches over two or three weeks. Perhaps some weeks they don't even need a case and just focus on the relationships of the characters. I watch a show for it's solid storytelling.

I know television is risk averse, but isn't there room for something slightly different? Many of my favorite shows are a bit out of the ordinary. Shows like "Mad Men", "The Walking Dead", "Copper" and even "Lost" break the mold of normal TV. Well at least they break the mold, until they become the mold. There are too many shows that are trying to be "the next Lost". I get bored easily thus I want TV that both entertains and challenges me. The only challenging thing that most current TV does to me is challenging me to stay awake.

I may watch a dumb show sometimes, on those times when I just want to turn off my brain and watch TV.

themusicaddict

Favorites