Monday, September 24, 2012

"Les Mis", "Revolution", "Hearts In Atlantis"

Hello,


I'm looking forward to "Les Miserables", which comes out this Christmas. I may even go see it opening day, Christmas falls on a Tuesday this year. I've seen "Les Mis" on the stage several times and have been looking forward to seeing it on the movie screen for a long time. The story is great and the music is even better. Honestly none of the stars excite me very much. When was the last time you went to see a Russell Crowe movie? Amanda Seyfried doesn't do much for me, although I did like her performance in "In Time". It seems that Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway are the only two relevant actors. But as ew.com states, the musical itself "is the biggest star". I couldn't agree more.

I'd also highly recommend to read Victor Hugo's full length novel. It's over 1200 pages, but it's worth the effort. If you are a Kindle owner, you can get "Les Mis" free right now. Unfortunately it's not the full Hugo classic, but it will give you the idea of the play.

Three months from tomorrow "Les Mis" will finally be in theatres.

Granted the trailer isn't that great, here it is:



Can the cast sing? See for yourself (Wait a second, Borat is in this movie?):



If the following clip doesn't give you goosebumps, then sadly "Les Mis" isn't for you:



My favorite of the above clip is at the 7:11 mark and for the next several seconds.

Another clip, part 2 of this concert.



Part 3 of this amazing 25th anniversary concert:



Tonight is the second episode of "Revolution" and I'm looking forward to it. It's been a couple of weeks since I saw the premiere. I've been debating whether I should watch the premiere again before watching tonight's episode. I think "Revolution" has a lot of promise. But I also thought the same thing about "Life On Mars" and "Flash Forward". Hopefully "Revolution" will have a more satisfying run. I do wonder how long it will take before they start falling back on cliches.

I'm also eagerly looking forward to the first episode of "The Last Resort" Thursday night. When the show seems to start out so intensely, how long can it maintain that level though? This is the trailer:



I've been reading Stephen King's "Hearts In Atlantis". It's a collection of 5 interconnected stories. The first story is "Low Men In Yellow Coats". If you read King's "Gunslinger" series you'll recognize the low men. Not the kind of people that you want to deal with. This 250+ page story combines everything that makes King's writing so good. First of all the story is creepy as hell. But besides that one really can relate to the characters. I immediately felt an affinity to Ted Brautigan and Bobby Garfield. I cheered for them through the whole story. I wasn't cheering for Liz Garfield though. However a necessary character to make the other characters fully drawn. Like any great writing I have all sorts of emotions about the characters. If you are a Stephen King fan and somehow haven't read this book, this would be a good time to do so. I also want to see the movie someday.

Currently I'm reading the second story in this collection. This short story is where the whole book gets it's name from- "Hearts In Atlantis".

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites