Monday, September 17, 2012

Fall TV Shows: Skip "Ben and Kate", "Mob Doctor" (Updated 9/18/12)

Hello,

Previously I reviewed the first episode of "Revolution", it's premiere is tonight. I would recommend this show for those of you who are a sci-fi fan or a fan of J.J. Abrams. Also it's for those of you who may just want to see something different than another cop show. It's one of those shows that I've thought a lot about. I'm intrigued to see what happens in the next episode. "Revolution" had more than 10 million people watch the premiere. "Revolution" is on NBC. (Thanks to ew.com.)

For those of you wondering what "Revolution" is about, here's a quick primer. At the start of  the premiere everything seems fine. Then for some reason the power goes out all across the world. Flash forward 15 years and people are living in agrarian societies once again. The government has been overthrown and militias are in charge. The leader of the militia is acquainted with a pair of brothers that seem to know what may have caused the power to go out. The brothers may even know how to get the power back on. The evil (of course he's evil) militia leader wants the secret and his men are looking for the brothers. I also recommend you read Ken Tucker's good preview over at ew.com.

I actually enjoyed the first episode, but the show probably isn't for everyone. But it's a lot better than the two Fox shows I refer to below.

Yes, there are way too many shows about cops, doctors and lawyers. However I'll give a show like that a chance if it has a fresh and interesting twist. For instance, "Copper", the show set in 1864 New York.  I gave the show a chance and have become a fan. The show doesn't pull any punches, it's a gritty look at a gritty time in the history of New York. "Copper" debuted on August 19th, 2012 and is on BBC America. Or for those of us with Comcast, it's On Demand.

I watched "Copper's" second episode "Husbands and Fathers" last night. Kevin Corcoran is Copper, he's a cop. However he operates by his own sense of justice. Last night two characters that deserved justice, but were outside of actual police justice, got what they had coming and it was very satisfying. Tom Weston-Jones plays Copper, he's also called Kevin, Corcoran and Corky. For some reason every time I see his face, it makes me think of the main character from "A Clockwork Orange".

"Copper" is my favorite of all the shows I review in this blog post.

If you are feeling immature and looking for some really stupid humor, you might want to check out MTV's "The Inbetweeners". I was very bored the other night and watched the first 4 episodes. This is for those of you that like stupid humor, but think "The Young Ones" is too brash. "The Inbetweeners" is based on a British series. Although it's now Americanized, it still has the very British feel about it.  The show follows a bunch of semi-loser high school kids. They aren't the most popular kids but they also aren't the biggest losers in the school. Thus they are in-between. Sometimes their adventures can be funny. I don't think I would recommend you view 4 episodes in one sitting though.

Two shows that I would highly urge you to miss are "Mob Doctor" and "Ben and Kate". Both are on Fox and I understand better why Fox is sucking every dollar it can out of "American Idol". (Don't pay attention to judges allegedly feuding, it's all a desperate publicity ploy.) Although "Idol" lost it's relevance and quality a few seasons ago, it still continues on. Do you know anyone who still watches "American Idol"? But even such a long running show has to have an end eventually. Although "Idol" will probably be around longer than either "Ben and Kate" or "Mob Doctor". I expect both shows to be axed by "AI's" January premiere.

So what kind of shows are they looking to replace "Idol". "Ben and Kate" premieres on September 25th, 2012. Again thanks to Comcast I was able to see the premiere last night. The show is about a brother and sister that grew up raising themselves. Kate is the allegedly responsible one and Ben is the zany brother that pops in every now and then. With him he's suppose to bring hilarity and this show is suppose to be a comedy. I'm glad they said that, because otherwise I wouldn't have known. I think I laughed a total of one time. "Ben and Kate" isn't funny at all. In fact it was so boring I almost didn't watch the entire 22 minutes. Other than giving some people jobs, this show literally has nothing going for it.

Now I'll admit I haven't seen "The Mob Doctor" and probably shouldn't be sharing my opinion. I doubt I'll ever watch the show, I don't even know if it would qualify for car wreck television. However the whole premise behind the show screams stupid. Please don't get invested in this show, there's no way it will last more than a few episodes. Here's the trailer that I could just barely get through, only for the most hard core fans and family members of the cast and crew.



Entertainment Weekly magazine, and I'm sure other people, keep track of which show gets cancelled first. My guess that the show cancelled first this season will either be "Ben and Kate" or "The Mob Doctor". ew.com has an article about 3 ways that "Mob Doctor" could have been worse. Honestly since this show premieres 8 days before "Ben and Kate" it will get canceled first. In fact, it might be canceled before "Ben and Kate's" premiere. "The Mob Doctor" had about half the viewers of "Revolution". It blows my mind that 5 million people actually watched the bad "Doctor".

I'm looking forward to "The Good Wife", "Blue Bloods", "The Walking Dead", "Last Resort" and finally finishing watching "Lost". Also I had been looking forward to Dick Wolf's new show "Chicago Fire", but after seeing previews I'm now not so sure. I'll still give it a shot though.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites