Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Patton Oswalt is a "Big Fan", Another Bad Season for Dallas

Hello,

Thanks to Comcast On Demand's free movies, I watched "Big Fan" last night. The movie stars Patton Oswalt as obsessive New York Giants fan Paul Aufiero. This film blatantly mocks the obsessive sports fan. The 36 year old Aufiero still lives with his Mom and seems to have never moved out. His Mom still does his laundry which leads her to comment on some of his personal habits. Aufiero calls into sports radio constantly, has no real interests outside of the Giants and is just mostly drifting through life. He does have a job, but it's a dead end job. He doesn't have a girlfriend and rarely, if ever, dates. He acts like he has no interest in either. He can't even support his Giants the right way. He goes to Giants games with his loser friend, but they sit out in the parking lot. They watch those Giants games on TV in the Giants parking lot.

Again as you can tell this movie's main point is that obsessive sports fans are pathetic. From the above paragraph, you can see how "Big Fan" hammers home that point home over and over again. Oswalt doesn't even play Aufiero as sympathetic, but he's a complete loser. Aufiero loves his Giants so much that he makes really bad, self-defeating decisions. Even in prison he's more worried about the Giants upcoming schedule than he is about being in prison! Is Aufiero so obsessed that he actually has an undiagnosed mental illness?

Earlier he and his friend stumble across Aufiero's hero, Quantrell Bishop, at a gas station and follow him and his posse to a bar. Aufiero has Bishop's poster over his bed. They sit and stare at Bishop in this dimly lit bar for hours it seems. They also try to send him over a drink, which Bishop isn't interested in. They can't even send over a drink that Bishop will drink. As if they hadn't been humiliated enough, they stupidly go over to meet Aufiero's hero and bad things happen.

"Big Fan" made me feel like a bit like a loser. I'm a 45 year old Cowboys fan who lives with his Mom. However I'm nowhere as pathetic as Aufiero. For one thing, I do my own laundry. I also do my kids laundry when I visit I do their laundry. I had moved out of my Mom's house for a long time. I'm looking for a second job, in hopes of eventually moving out. It's embarrassing to be living at home at my age. I also am very interested in women. Sarcasm alert: For some reason, women aren't real impressed by a man who lives with his Mom. The fact that I live with my Mom is because of the high cost of divorce and how expensive raising kids is. I still love my Cowboys, although they like to make it a challenge, but I'm definitely not obsessed with them. In fact, I'm more disgusted with the Cowboys now than anything.

Speaking of which I predict the Cowboys will lose to the Giants tomorrow night. Yes, the NFL regular season starts tomorrow with the Cowboys visiting the Giants. Dallas has won 1 of their last 6 games against the Giants. How do I expect the Cowboys to handle playing against the Super Bowl defending champs? I predict Dallas will lose by at least two touchdowns. I predict right at the worst possible time  that Tony Romo will choke yet again. (Is it still a prediction if it happens nearly every time?) I know I won't be calling into any sports radio stations after the game. The Cowboys made some nice additions in the offseason, especially at cornerback. However until they get Jerry Jones to go emeritus status or they get a truly quality quarterback, this team will be lucky to be average. Being average is the NFL's version of no man's land. I predict the Cowboys won't be making the playoffs this season..

But you got to love Cowboys fans, we're a hardy and delusional bunch. On an espn.com poll 17% of the people voting still think that the Cowboys are a Super Bowl contender. I can guarantee that nearly 100% of that 17% are Cowboys fans. I love that they think a team that has only went to the playoffs once in the last 4 seasons will all of a sudden rise up and be a Super Bowl contender. Mediocre and greatness are very far away from each other. Green Bay won 15 regular season games last season and they didn't make the Super Bowl!

I would love to be proved wrong and I'll be cheering on the Cowboys tomorrow night. However I'm not expecting a victory tomorrow night or any more than 8 wins this season.

themusicaddict








No comments:

Favorites