Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Matthew Perry Wants You To "Go On"

Hello,

This really isn't a TV blog, but I've found myself watching a lot of TV lately. Last night I watched the first two episodes of "Go On", Matthew Perry's new show. "Go On" is about a group of strangers who've recently lost someone or something significant in their life. They meet at a therapy and support group. The therapist is suppose to be the straight person, however she has some quirks of her own. Matthew Perry plays the very likable Ryan King, host of his own sports radio talk show. His wife died suddenly about a month previous and he's trying to find his way in this new reality. He doesn't really have any friends other than the people he works with and the people in the therapy group. His assistant, Carrie, is played by Allison Miller. If she looks familiar to you as well, she played Skye on the dinosaur drama "Terra Nova".  And since this is a comedy, quirky characters are all over the place.

His bosses at the radio station want him to get counseling, which of course he doesn't think he needs.  They require him to go to 10 group meetings before he can work at the station again. The therapist warns him that unless he finds an outlet for his feelings he will explode. He doesn't believe her until he explodes at Terrell Owens, yes TO, because Owens is texting. King's wife, Janie, died because she was driving and texting.

Unlike "Ben and Kate" (which still hasn't premiered and thus can't be canceled yet), there are actually some funny moments in "Go On". The characters are also a lot more likable and the premise is more entertaining. Laura Benanti is the requisite eye candy in this series and eventual love interest of King. (It's entertaining but predictable.) By the way she grabbed King's arm, that may be sooner rather than later.

This show is on NBC. It's for people who want to laugh, but don't want to mentally exert themselves. That sounds like me after I get home from work. This show isn't for Matthew Perry fans. Why? I just don't see this show lasting very long. "Go On" does have some funny moments, But honestly the NBC Fall Season preview show, that the cast of "Go On", appear in is funnier.

I'm not a "Go On" hater and will probably watch it until it's cancelled. It's a good show, but it feels like it's missing one or two elements. That makes me realize there are just too many TV shows now and the writing is diluted. I believe this is one of those times when less may be more. Instead of having a few great shows, a few good shows and a bunch of diluted dreck can we just have a bunch of great shows? Unfortunately for every "Castle", there are 10 to 15 "Mob Doctors".

EW recently previewed the upcoming Fall Season, previewing 104 old favorites and new shows. Of those shows I only have plans to watch 9 of them, a number that I'm sure will increase when I get really bored. I'm a bit of a TV snob. Those couple of hours a day I watch TV I want to be entertained. And if TV can't do that there are always books, my Kindle and the internet.

The returning favorites I plan on watching are "The Good Wife", "The Walking Dead", "Blue Bloods" and "Castle". I was a fan of "Smash" in it's first season. However it felt like they started telling the same story over and over again. So at this point I don't plan on watching that show anymore.

The new shows I'm looking forward to include "The Last Resort", it's first episode is getting a lot of positive word of mouth by critics. Also obviously "Revolution", "Chicago Fire" and "Elementary" "Elementary" is yet another cop show, but I think I'm going to give it a chance. I also plan on watching "Nashville", any show with Connie Britton in it is good by me.

The are two wild cards that don't fall into the above 9 shows. The first is "Copper" which isn't a fall show. The second wild card is "Go On". I'm not convinced of how good "Go On" will be. It could turn out to be great or it might wear out it's welcome quickly. I predict it will do the latter and I'd be surprised if it survives a whole season. How many funny stories are there to tell about a group who've lost something significant in their lives?

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites