Monday, September 22, 2014

themusicaddict's Neglected Baker's Dozen of Rolling Stone's Top 100 Songs From 1984 (Updated September 23rd, 2014)

Hello,

On September 17th, 2014, the 30th anniversary of one of the greatest years in music, rollingstone.com published a list of the Top 100 songs from 1984. No doubt about this being a pretty great list. Looking over this list brought back many memories. One song reminds me of work, one song reminds me of college, another song reminds me of when MTV was relevant, one song reminds me of the dance clubs I use to go to and many of the songs remind me of the great 80's movies.

I know one of the first signs of being old is saying not as much great music is being made now. Well consider me damn old then. The fact that "On The Dark Side" was the 94th song on Billboard's Year End Top 100 list. That's an incredible song, although I do acknowledge even when it was on radio and MTV constantly it was still a bit obscure.

If you want to check the whole list, go to this website: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-best-singles-of-1984-pops-greatest-year-20140917 rs.com has a video with each song so if you need a refresher just push play. Be honest you hadn't heard that Robin Gibb song either. I wish they would have created a simple list of the songs without the videos.

While trying to look at a simple list of those songs, I stumbled across the 1984 Year End Billboard Top 100: http://www.bobborst.com/popculture/top-100-songs-of-the-year/?year=1984

Comparing the two lists, Rolling Stone missed a lot of great songs from 1984. It seems their list has a bias against ballads and Lionel Richie. How does not "All Night Long" make Rolling Stone's Top 100? Also I've included 3 amazing ballads that Rolling Stone doesn't list. The following list is themusicaddict's baker's dozen songs that aren't on Rolling Stone's Top 100 songs. Yes, the following songs didn't even chart on the RS Top 100.

My apologies if I list a song below that Rolling Stone does have on their list. I'm sorry but my crack team of 1 can't catch everything. The number in parenthesis is where the song ended in the Billboard Year End Top 100.

I don't completely blame Rolling Stone for this song not making their top songs of 1984 list. However I love this bizarre, quirky song. That's one of the best things about 80's music, even the oddest song could pop through into popularity.

13) Julie Brown's "Homecoming's Queen Got A Gun": (Ha ha, are you kidding?)


The following song was the first popular song of what came to be called hair metal. I remember standing in Pegasus Records thinking "wouldn't it be cool if this song became a big hit?"

12) Quiet Riot's "Cum On Feel The Noise": (68)


The next two songs are just the pure essence of joy.

11) Madonna's "Holiday": (79)


10) Kenny Loggins "Footloose": (4)


In every way possible Miss Newton-John's song is a way too obvious 80's song. If you hear any synth in a song, there's a strong possibility that it's an 80's song. The look including the disco lighting is another giveaway you are watching an 80's song. 

9) Olivia Newton John's "Twist of Fate: (42)


8) Shannon's incredibly funky "Let The Music Play": (49)


7) Madonna's "Lucky Star": (66)


Bonus: The Cars' "You Might Think": (65) I originally listed this as a song that was NOT on Rolling Stone's Top 100 1984 songs. However I discovered last night I was in error. This song is actually #78 on Rolling Stone's list. I apologize for and take responsibility for my error.



6) Hall and Oates "Adult Education" (70):


5) Mike Reno (from Loverboy) and Ann Wilson's (from Heart) "Almost Paradise": (59)


4) Chicago's "Hard Habit To Break": (45)


Not just one of the best songs of 1984, but one of the best songs of the entire 80s.

3) John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band's "On The Dark Side": (94)


I doubled and tripled check to see if these were on the Top 100 1984 list, but I didn't see either song any of those times. How do these two songs not make Rolling Stone's Top 100 list? That's crazy!!

2) Cyndi Lauper's "Girls Just Want To Have Fun": (15)


1) Phil Collins' "Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now": (5)


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites