Thursday, September 25, 2014

themusicaddict's Top 100 Songs of 1984, Part 2 #'s 91-79

Hello,

As I mentioned previously, my thanks to Rolling Stone magazine and bobborst.com for coming up with this list. Rolling Stone released their list on September 17th, 2014, I took their list and created my own list. Nineteen songs from Rolling Stone's list didn't make it on my personal Top 100, those 19 songs are mentioned in my previous blog. Thanks to the bobborst.com website for providing me with the rest of these songs. That is except for Julie Brown's "Homecoming Queen's Got A Gun". I thought it came out in 1984 and I Googled it and sure enough it did. The number/letters in parenthesis indicate where the song is ranked on Rolling Stone's Top 100 list. NR = not rated

91) Ratt's "Round and Round" (38) I loved hair metal in 1984, which is when it really started to get popular, and I love it now. Along with Ratt, I still love bands like Motley Crue, Def Leppard and Whitesnake etc. However when it came time to create this list, I was surprised that these hair metal songs aren't as high on my personal list as I thought they would be.


90) Newcleus' "Jam On It" (13) Other than Run-D.M.C., Beastie Boys and old school LL Cool J, I've never been a big fan of rap music, although this is a good song.


89) Van Halen's "Jump" (23), from the aptly named CD "1984". 


88) Bryan Adams' "Run To You": (85)



87) Jellybean (featuring Madonna) (71) "Sidewalk Talk":


86) Def Leppard's "Bringin' On The Heartbreak" (73) : This probably is the song that broke Def Leppard through to where people paid attention to them. I know the video says '82 and this song comes from the 1981 CD "High & Dry". So like me, I'm sure you are wondering then how does this song end up on Rolling Stone's 1984 Top 100? Don't fret my friends, Wikipedia has the answer:

1984 reissue[edit]



Following the success of "Pyromania", "High 'n' Dry" was reissued on 31 May 1984 with two bonus tracks:
  • "Bringin' On the Heartbreak" (Remix), essentially the same recording with a few synthesiser overdubs. The remix was released in 1984 as a single, peaking at #61 in the US charts.
  • "Me & My Wine" (Remix), a remixed version of a 1981 B-side.
Videos for both were made, featuring Phil Collen (who was not in the band at the time of the album's recording). Both bonus tracks were omitted from the mid-1990s re-releases of the album. (Thanks to Wikipedia.org.)


85) Tears For Fears' "Mother's Talk": (96) (Like Bon Jovi's "Runaway"and Def Leppard's "Bringin' On The Heartache", this was one of the first songs that introduced these bands. Only a couple of years later they were some of the biggest bands in the world.)



84) Pat Benatar's "Love Is A Battlefield" (59):


83) ZZ Top's "Legs" (63) For some bands 1984 was the start of a big career, for ZZ Top it was a revitalization of their career.



82) Duran Duran's "Reflex": (40)



81) R.E.M's "So. Central Rain": (84)


80) Dan Hartman's "I Can Dream About You": (51) From the super duper flop "Streets of Fire":


79) Huey Lewis and the News "If This Is It": (49)


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites