Tuesday, September 23, 2014

themusicaddict's Top 100 Songs of 1984: Songs That Made Rolling Stone's Top 100, But Didn't Make My Top 100 (Inspired by Rolling Stone magazine.)

Hello,

With apologies to Rolling Stone magazine in advance, I've taken their ratings of the Top 100 songs of 1984 and created my own list. Also my thanks to bobborst.com for posting the Billboard Year End list of 1984's Top 100 songs. I used that list to flesh out my own personal Top 100. My first blog in this series is all the songs from Rolling Stone's Top 100 that didn't make my list and why. Number indicates where it falls on Rolling Stone's ranking for that specific song.

I'm posting videos for selected songs.

100) Corey Hart's "Sunglasses At Night": a perfectly decent song, just not good enough.


97) Peter Wolf's "Lights Out": boring, but thanks for helping with all the great J. Geils Band classics.
93) The Jackson's featuring Mick Jagger's "State of Shock". I vaguely remember hearing this song and I was reminded why I've long forgotten it. One of the worst songs that great Michael Jackson was involved in.
91) Laid Back's "White Horse": a song that is good enough as long as one doesn't hear it too often. I much prefer Taylor Swift's "White Horse" though.


90) Bruce Springsteen's "Cover Me", about the 10th best song on "Born In The USA".


88) Lionel Richie's "Stuck On You", yes I'm surprised that this song isn't on my list either. But wow 1984 was a great year for music!


83) Diana Ross' "Swept Away", not very good and way too long.
81) Jocelyn Brown's "Somebody Else's Guy", even more anemic than the above song. Another song that's way too long.
80) Robin Gibb's "Boys Do Fall In Love", this and the two above songs are three 80's songs that I never heard before. I say that gratefully.
77) Hall and Oates "Out of Touch", see "Stuck On You".


74) J. Blackfoot's "Taxi": this song isn't bad, but again a song I hadn't ever heard. Although with it only reaching #90 on the Billboard Top 100, I wonder how it's #74 on this list.


58) Rebbie Jackson's "Centipede", another anemic wanna be funk song. 100% Snoozeworthy.
56) Bronski Beat's "Smalltown Boy", one of the most overrated 80s songs, not sure why so many people consider this boring song a classic.
53) "Weird Al" Yankovic's "Eat It", yes it's a perfectly good and funny parody. However it doesn't fit on a list of top songs. But at least I had heard this song and remember it being played a few times.


44) Shannon's "Give Me Tonight", how does she have one of the best songs of 1984, but also this piece of non-funky funk. The follow up to "Let The Music Play" sadly was a dud.

Now this is a good song, "Let The Music Play":


43) Talk Talk's "It's My Life", a less than amazing new wave song. Although their version is much better than No Doubt's weak cover.
37) Whodini's "Friends", another tepid song.
32) Queen's "I Want To Break Free", one of Queen's weaker songs. Here's a collection of Queen's best songs, this is their Live Aid set. They even snuck in an encore.



28) Teena Marie's "Lovergirl", a very average song. On second listen it was better than the first time I listened to it, but still not worthy of Top 100 status.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites