Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Yeah, You Can Skip It/ That Or Leave It Behind 2, But Some Things Are Worth Checking Out

Hello,

Things that you can skip or leave behind include:

1) "Under The Dome": the Stephen King book and the terrible TV show based on his less than great book.

2) "Mr. Mercedes": the best part of this book is getting to know the characters at the unemployment fair until Mr. Mercedes kills them. Mr. Mercedes, Brady Hartsfield, is one of the most loathsome characters in modern fiction.

3) "Finders Keepers": I read the excerpt in a recent issue of Entertainment Weekly. This except was King at his best. If he would have stayed with that story line from the excerpt I would be standing in line to read the book. Unfortunately the threesome, a very uninteresting threesome, Jerome, Holly and Det. Hodges are back. Once I found out these three folks were in it, I had no desire to read "Finders Keepers".

4) "The Royals": oh what out so strong ended so weakly. It reminds me a lot of "Tyrants", both shows started out so strongly. Sadly "Tyrants" had one of the worst season finales ever. "Royals" had a slightly better season finale, but I hate when loathsome characters win. Vincent Regan was so good as the king! If you aren't willing to go all the way and kill off main characters, then you shouldn't put those characters in precarious situations. Because if your characters continue to barely elude death several times then you're just like every other show. (i.e. the reason why Season 1 of "Homeland" wasn't the perfect season of television.)

Things you definitely need to check out, include:

1) The 100th Honest Trailer for "50 Shades of Grey":


2) Muse's new CD "Drones" Honestly I'm not a big Muse fan. I am a big rock music fan, although I can't think of that many mainstream rock bands. Sure there's Nickelback, but let's be honest they suck. They are corporate rock at the worst and they don't have a hint of danger about them. It's not like the good old days when one never knew what we were going to get out of Motley Crue or Guns N' Roses. Heck I went to an AC/DC concert where people died, not that I'm advocating that.

Anyway back to Muse: I've liked a few of their songs especially "Uprising". That song kicks butt. But when it comes to mainstream rock bands, they're probably the closest we have to a real rock band, Due to that I've always paid attention to them, hoping they could break through to that next level. I read about them and their new CD, "Drones" in a recent issue of Rolling Stone. I found out this CD's producer was Mutt Lange- you know the guy who produced "Hysteria" and "Back In Black" and some how improbably married the gorgeous Shania Twain. So thanks to my subscription with Rdio I listened to "Drones" a couple of times today. My first impression is that it's a good CD and has some great songs on it. It's definitely worth a listen or two, perhaps real rock isn't dead?

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites