Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Shinedown Concert Review 10/30/2015 Maverick Center, Part 2 (Finished November 5th, 2015)

Hello,

This is part 2 of a two blog series on the Shinedown/Breaking Benjamin/Nothing More concert on October 30th, 2015. First a caveat, unlike Def Leppard, whose songs I've probably heard a couple of hundred times, I'm not quite as familiar with the music of these three bands. I like several songs by Shinedown, but don't know them as well. Part of the fun of a concert is singing along with the songs. What I'm saying is my grade would be higher if I had been more familiar with their songs.

The quick review: too much talking, in fact way too much talking. Not enough singing and definitely not enough songs. Shinedown said there were 7,000 people in attendance, the crowd definitely filled in as the night went on.

A bit before Shinedown took the stage, the National Anthem was played. Most people were confused by this- is this part of the show? are we suppose to stand up? where's the flag? Most of us eventually stood up and then we sat back down when it ended. Then over the PA a rocked up version of "99 Problems" played- which would be a perfectly good song if the b word wasn't used in it. Shortly there after Shinedown took the stage. Setlist:

1) "Cut The Cord": A great opening song!
2) "Fly From The Inside"

Brent Smith's speech about getting along and saying hi to those around you. While I'm sure he was being sincere it came off as not particularly inspiring. You can hear this speech on the Shinedown live CD "Somewhere In The Atmosphere". The video contains some of the jibberish Smith spoke this past Friday. It also features the great song "If You Only Knew":


3) "If You Only Knew" A great song, I'm not sure why it's so heartening to hear that famous rock stars have girl problems as well. It's not just me!
4) "Unity"
5) "The Crow and The Butterfly":



6) "Diamond Eyes (Boom-Lay Boom-Lay Boom)"
7) "I'll Follow You"
8) "Enemies"
9) "State of My Head"
10) "Bully"- A very disappointing, muted version of this song.
11) "How Did You Love":



12) "Second Chance":



13) "Simple Man"
14) "Sound Of Madness"- Again this song didn't rock as much as it should have.

Other songs Shinedown could have, and should have, played as the headliner. I don't think I've ever been to a concert were the middle band played more songs than the headliner. I know that this tour they are billed as co-headliners, but still!

".45":



"Adrenaline":



"It All Adds Up":



"Cyanide Sweet Tooth Suicide":



"Black Cadillac":



"Amaryllis":



"Oblivion":



"Left Out":



"Outcast":


Although one of my favorite current bands this simply wasn't a great show. My suggestions more singing, more songs and less talk. However Shinedown is still one of my favorite bands. Brent Smith has that amazing voice, they have a lot of great songs and I also love the lyrics.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites