Saturday, November 7, 2015

themusicaddict's Reviews of Recent and New CD Releases (Updated November 24th, 2015)

Hello,

All grades will be coming eventually.

1) Bryan Adams "Get Up": My initial reaction- wow, that's not a very good CD. When I review CDs I like to listen to them at least two or three times, this CD grew on me a bit when I was listening to it for it's second time. Highlights include "We Did It All" and "Brand New Day". However it seems my initial reaction was accurate. Grade: C

2) Old Dominion "Meat and Candy": My initial reaction- meat and candy? together? ew! However I quite like the first few songs. Highlights: "Snapback", "Wrong Turns" and "Said Nobody". Too quickly the songs become a bit repetitious. It started out strong, but after a few songs the songs became nearly indistinguishable. Grade: C

3) Sara Bareilles "What's Inside: Song From Waitress" Highlights include "Opening Up", "Never Ever Getting Rid Of Me"and "Bad Idea" (featuring Jason Mraz). It's okay. Grade: C

4) Alanis Morissette "Jagged Little Pill" (Collector's Issue) This is a 4 CD set.

A) A remastered take of the remastered "JLP": This remastering won't change your mind about this CD in anyway. Quite simply one of the greatest CDs of the 90s. Grade: A+

B) Outtakes from the original recording sessions: "Highlights include "The Bottom Line", "Closer Than You Might Believe", "Death of Cinderella" and "These Are The Thoughts". But it's clear why many of these songs were left off the original CD. Grade: C+

C) Acoustic takes on the original songs: this CD doesn't highlight some of the other things about these songs. It's pretty much the same songs played acoustically. Grade: B-

D) A concert performed at the Subterranea in London on September 28th, 1995: A very energetic performance by Miss Morissette and her excellent band. Grade: B+

This is just one amazing CD and all the bonus CD's bring out the greatness of the original "Jagged Little Pill". Is it a must have for your collection? Probably not, but I will probably add it to my collection someday. Overall grade for the entire collection: B

5) Seal "7": I love Seal, I love his voice, his delivery and his choice of the songs he sings. His recent divorce from Heidi Klum was obviously on his mind based on the lyrics of many of the songs. Highlights include "Redzone Killer", "Life On The Dancefloor", "Half A Heart" and "Monascow". This is a very good CD. Grade: B

6) Def Leppard's "Def Leppard": Highlights include "Let's Go", "Invincible", "Sea of Love", "Man Enough" and "All Time High".  They will never make another "Pyromania" or "Hysteria" again, but this is a good enough late career CD. You got to keep on releasing new music to stay at least partially relevant. Grade: B-

7) Jeff Lynne's "ELO": "Alone In The Universe" Release date: 11/13/2015 From what I've heard so far though this sounds like a pretty weak CD. After listening to it a couple more times, it's better than I first thought. It's still not a great CD though. Highlights include "When I Was A Boy" and "Ain't It A Drag" Grade: C-

8) Ellie Goulding's "Delirium": One of the worst CD covers in the last several years, pointless nudity. Highlights include "Codes", "Love Me Like You Do" and "Lost and Found". I want to listen to it a couple of more times before I give it a final grade.

9) Eric Church's "Mr. Misunderstood": I was finally able to listen to this full CD, thanks Rdio. Highlights include: "Mistress Named Music", "Kill A Word" and "Record Year". It's not great and it's not terrible. Grade C+

10) Tim McGraw's "Damn Country Music" Highlights include "Here Tonight" and "Love Runs", other than those two highlights this is a pretty generic country album. Grade: C.

11) Adele's "25": Release date: November 20th, 2015 "Hello" is a decent, but not amazing, song. I can't give this a proper review as I'm not planning on buying the CD any time soon. That and Adele has greedily sadly declined to allow it to stream on music websites. Of course it may not be Adele it may be her record company or some other entity.

12) Vamps "Wake Up" (Deluxe) Release date: November 27th, 2015. Review coming soon.

13) Fiction Plane's "Mondo Lumina": Highlights include "Where Do We Go From Here", "Flesh and Bone", "Real Life" and  "Walk Through The Fire". Some CDs grow on me over time and some start to lose their charms. This CD is one of those that's growing on me. This CD is much better than I expected it to be. Grade: B

14) Sugarcult's "Start Static": Okay this is an older CD- 4 1/2 years old- hey but I never reviewed it. I'm still hoping that Sugarcult will make new music and they will finally break out big. Highlights "Stuck In America", "Bouncing Off The Walls", "Pretty Girl (The Way)", "How Does It Feel" and "Crashing Down". Grade: B-.

15) Tracy Chapman's "Greatest Hits": The soul troubadour who sang some of the 80's most beautiful and haunting songs. Now she's back with a greatest hits CD (just in time for Christmas shopping) so how is it? I understand why this 18 track CD isn't just all 11 songs from her debut self-titled plus a few other songs. That would be lame. However to only have 3 songs from her amazing debut CD is also a bit crazy. After listening to the CD, maybe she should have included all 11 songs from her debut CD. I do like the more recent songs like "Telling Stories", "Bang Bang Bang", "Speak The Word" and of course "Give Me One Reason". Songs from her debut CD that should have been on her Greatest Hits include "For My Lover", "Why" and "Baby Can I Hold You". Grade: B- Grade for her self-titled debut CD: A+

Upcoming blogs, Madonna's Top 12 Songs, another Songs on themusicaddict's Radar and I also plan on finishing a previous Songs on themusicaddict's radar.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites