Thursday, April 28, 2016

themusicaddict's Top 106 Greatest 80's Bands Part 20a: # 77 Phil Collins: "No Jacket Required"

Hello,

Phil Collins is the 77th Greatest 80's musician for both his work solo, as well as with Genesis. This is the first of two Phil Collins blogs, this first blog focuses on his best CD, "No Jacket Required". Phil Collins was born Phillip David Charles Collins. He was born and raised on January 30th, 1951 in West London. Along with his work with Genesis, he has released 8 solos CD. Those CDs range from 1981's "Face Value" to 2010's "Going Back". I've read several different things about whether he's going to release music or not. I have 43 Phil Collins songs on my iTunes.

I wasn't a big Phil Collins growing up in the 80's, but I've begun to like him more and more over the years. Maybe part of it is because as Collins is, I'm a divorced person. His lyrics make a lot more sense to me now, especially "How many times can I say I'm sorry?". Whatever you feel about him, he's not as bad as this mention from "Sing Street" (at 1:33):

"No Jacket Required" was released in 1985.

From Wikipedia.org: " The album is named after an incident at The Pump Room restaurant in Chicago Illinois. Phil (entering the restaurant with former Led Zeppelin lead vocalist, Robert Plant) was denied admittance because he did not meet the restaurant's dress code of "jacket required" for dinner, while Robert was allowed in. Phil was wearing a jacket, and argued about it. The Maître d' argued that the jacket was not "proper". Collins said in an interview with Playboy that he was, at that point, never so mad in his life. After the incident, the singer often appeared on shows such as Late Night with David Letterman and The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, denouncing the restaurant and telling his story. The management of the restaurant later sent him a complementary sport coat and an apology letter, stating that he could come to the restaurant wearing whatever he wanted.(Thanks to Wikipedia)

1) "Sussudio":


2) "Only You and I Know":


3) "I Don't Wanna Know":


4) "One More Night":


5) "Don't Lose My Number":


6) "Who Said I Would":


7) "Doesn't Anybody Stay Together Anymore":


8) "Inside Out":


9) "Take Me Home":


10) "We Said Hello Goodbye":


I'm not a fan of "Long Long Way To Go", the 11th song from this CD.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites