Thursday, July 21, 2016

themusicaddict's Best New and Relatively New Songs of 2016 (Finished July 21st, 2016)

Hello,

These are the best new and relatively new songs of 2016. But first some songs that aren't quite up to that level. As a rule I don't listen to the radio as I want to listen to music, not all that corporate bullshit. It works for me, but the only downside is it's hard to find out what the great new songs are. This list comes from songs I've discovered on my own with assists from Entertainment Weekly, Rolling Stone, Spin (I hadn't been aware they're still around) and iTunes.

It seems like I might be the only one that doesn't love Rihanna's recent CD, "Anti". But to me its full of a bunch of boring slow songs that go nowhere and leave one wanting more. Also she has a song titled "Sledgehammer" that's tied to the new "Star Trek" movie. To me sledgehammer signifies power a rock beat and uplifting music. It would have been more appropriate for "Sledgehammer" to have been titled something like butterfly. This just has not been a good year for Rihanna.

With the new "Ghostbusters" movie the classic "Ghostbusters" song has been updated, but definitely not improved. The Walk The Moon, Pentatonix and Fall Out Boy covers are decent, but not vital. I was liking Mark Ronson's "Get Ghost" until the lame completely unnecessary rapping started. A great song isn't helped by some lame rapper rapping on a song most of the time. This trend needs to be stopped, rarely has a guest rapper helped a song. Also I love Elle King and "Good Girls" is a decent song, however it's time to expand her subject matter. She's sang a lot about her rebel spirit, now it's time to branch out. It's appropriate that Ray Parker Jr.s' version is on the new soundtrack as his version won't ever be topped:


Other less than inspiring music this year include anything by Beyonce, including her much loved "Formation". Sorry that's just a boring song. Gavin DeGraw's "She Sits The City on Fire" isn't very flammable. Gwen Stefani's "This Is What The Truth Feels Like" should be titled this is what boredom feels like. Another great musician with all the talent in the world, but for some reason an absolutely boring CD. Also I'm disappointed by the new Pretty Reckless song. "Take Me Down". Where did the snarling, butt kicking Pretty Reckless go? There's nothing wrong with a slower song every now and then, but not this slower song.

I also keep on reading about all the love heaped on Baby Metal, but I just don't get it. Screeching vocals, they seem to be confused about what genre their music is and songs that just aren't very good. In fact they border on unlistenable. I just don't get all the love this band is getting.

But easily the worst song of 2016 is Fergie's "M.I.L.F. $", what a stinking turd of a song it is. What segment of population is she trying to appeal to, those with no intelligence or taste? I don't know anyone else that would like this song that's similar to other of her own and much better songs. This song idea should have been immeadiately thrown away. Then what's with the cover of the single with Fergie showing a lot of cleavage. The song and cover will be one of the first inductees into the lowest common denominator Hall of Shame. This whole mess is a failure all around. Fergie fans, like myself, expect so much more next time!

Okay enough of the less than inspiring new music of 2016, here's the good stuff now. With the new Red Hot Chili Peppers CD "The Getaway" being pretty average I'm surprised how much I like the new Blink-182 CD. "California" is a great CD, with a lot of great songs. I'm not going to lie I'm so surprised how much I like this CD. It has been on heavy rotation as my drive music for the last few days. Both Blink's sound and lyrics have matured and their music is better for it. Although I still love a lot of their older stuff. Here are four of my favorites from "California":

"She's got a black shirt, a black skirt and Bauhaus stuck in her head.", "She's Out Of Her Mind":



"Kings of the Weekend":



"Teenage Satellites":



"Rabbit Hole":


If you read my recent concert review for twenty one pilots, you know that I quite like them. Two of my recent favorites are "Heathens":


and "The Ride":


I'm also all aboard the Struts bandwagon, I especially love "Put Your Money On Me":



and "Kiss This":


Other great new or relatively new songs include:
Sia "Cheap Thrills":



Pink "Just Like Fire":



The song is okay, but that voice is amazing!! Andra Day "Rise Up":



This is still such a great song, Lukas Graham's "7 Years":



Carrie Underwood "Church Bells":



A great singer and one of the most beautiful women in the world. "Choctaw County Affair":



Sorry I'm having a moment here, Carrie again on "Paradise City":



Probably the best NEW song from the new "Ghostbusters" soundtrack is 5 Seconds of Summer's "Girls Talk Boys":



The amazing Rachel Platten has struck again with "Stand By You":



Another female artist I love is Brandy Clark and that's because of songs like "Girl Next Door":



This is a decent song, but where are the rock songs with crunch now? Thrice's "Black Honey":


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites